Jump to content

AL HS Coaches Talk Recruiting


Brad_ATX
 Share

Recommended Posts

Mods, if this needs to be in the recruiting forum, feel free to move it.  But it feels like with Harsin's job security in the air, this could be an illuminating part of the reason.

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/bryan-harsin-said-to-be-absent-on-the-recruiting-trail

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites





15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Mods, if this needs to be in the recruiting forum, feel free to move it.  But it feels like with Harsin's job security in the air, this could be an illuminating part of the reason.

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/bryan-harsin-said-to-be-absent-on-the-recruiting-trail

Interesting to see the pros and cons from this. With that being said , it is amazing to me CBH has not attempted to show face at majority of schools even for five minutes. That’s that Boise culture in him. You have to sale yourself and your program , no matter if it is BS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember reading at least a few articles, saying basically the same thing, closer to the beginning of the year.  That is ultimately the biggest strike against Harsin.  If the current team is struggling on the field, great recruiting can at least point to progress being made within the program.  When the team is struggling, recruiting is struggling, and AL HS coaches are saying they have never met Harsin, that makes it quite difficult to believe the program's trajectory is a good one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we fire him before the season is over, can we recover in this recruiting cycle? with all of the once in a lifetime talent in state thus year, is it something that needs to be done?

Or is this class a lost cause?

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very close to the situation at Thompson HS and know for a fact he has spent virtually no time on their campus 

  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is his biggest downfall. I have said countless times that even if he had a losing record this year, as long as he could bring in a top 10 recruiting class we would have hope. 
There is just no hope for the future if you cannot and will not recruit. And that is so frustrating. Not at all what I was expecting after listening to him talk when hired. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kind of what we all believed last year when he was a no show. Doesn't appear hes willing to change the way he does things. If they don't get him gone we are done for the this cycle recruiting and maybe next. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crazy to think that even after "Tiger Takeover" we're still SO underrepresented in Alabama highschools. 

I think this points to the larger picture: Over the off season he did many of the things we asked of him. We openly supported him bringing his guys in and trusting him to run the program his way. And we simply do not look like an improved team.

I like many others have defended him and given him slack time and time again. Attacking his character is uncalled for, especially when the results speak for themselves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Generational talent level in-state, limits raised on number of recruits that can sign, basically unrestricted transfers, and NIL money that can legally flow to recruits.   If there were ever a year where Auburn could overhaul their roster and get well quick, this is it.   And we're failing in every category while our competitors fully take advantage.     Really bad setback for the program.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This stuff has been out there since Harsin got here. But if it was brought up here you were facepalmed, down voted and accused of being a Harsin hater. Do those people believe it now since we got embarassed at home? Zeeks list of top prospcts AU was after was nothing but lines drawn through it and people here still insisted Harsin was “picking” players who fit his tough guy image. This roster is a rebuild at this point for the new coach.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

If we fire him before the season is over, can we recover in this recruiting cycle? with all of the once in a lifetime talent in state thus year, is it something that needs to be done?

Or is this class a lost cause?

It’s a loss cause. It takes years to build these relationships to get these guys to commit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

If we fire him before the season is over, can we recover in this recruiting cycle? with all of the once in a lifetime talent in state thus year, is it something that needs to be done?

Or is this class a lost cause?

Yes. We have the portal which is a big asset to any coach 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This insight from high school coaches is very telling. The fact that he has not even visited some of the high schools is mind boggling. I t makes me so mad that we will not reap the benefits from this generational class in Alabama. This, more than his poor game day coaching, is why we need to move on as soon as possible. A new coach with SEC ties is needed! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like there were coaches saying the same stuff last season, and after the debacle of February, he tried to make some recruiting pushes. So it’s not surprising. He’s a lazy recruiter that nobody wants to play for. I think all of this stems from an “I’m not going to beg kids to play for me. They are lucky if I even want them” mentality. He seems a little high on himself .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't this what was thought last season where he didn't make appearances to schools? You would think that if your job was on the line and you had an underwhelming recruiting class you would be putting in the effort to actually show up. Guess he's too worried about working out and keeping himself fit rather than do his job.

Just fire him so we can get a jump start on hiring the next coach.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CR said:

This stuff has been out there since Harsin got here. But if it was brought up here you were facepalmed, down voted and accused of being a Harsin hater. Do those people believe it now since we got embarassed at home? Zeeks list of top prospcts AU was after was nothing but lines drawn through it and people here still insisted Harsin was “picking” players who fit his tough guy image. This roster is a rebuild at this point for the new coach.

You may have gotten facepalmed for a comment at some point but I don't recall anyone excusing Harsin for not being in the high schools because he was selectively recruiting tough guys. Both can happen at the same time, he can recruit a certain type of player as well as getting to know the school coaches. I think everyone pretty much agrees he's been lazy in the latter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I feel like there were coaches saying the same stuff last season, and after the debacle of February, he tried to make some recruiting pushes. So it’s not surprising. He’s a lazy recruiter that nobody wants to play for. I think all of this stems from an “I’m not going to beg kids to play for me. They are lucky if I even want them” mentality. He seems a little high on himself .

Hubris....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WDE and Meta have been saying this all year.  If you remember it all started with a longtime Auburn fan 20 minutes down the road not putting Auburn in his top 5 because Harsin never bothered to introduce himself.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So is anybody going to remember how I told everybody how the stuff with the wr coach rubbed all the high school coaches the wrong way? 

I said how it's going to mess up the recruiting. A good amount just laughed and I said we'll see.

Once again, I gave it away, should have made people pay for it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No surprises here. I actually think this piece is just a reprint of stuff that was put out on al.com back several months ago 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

I remember reading at least a few articles, saying basically the same thing, closer to the beginning of the year.  That is ultimately the biggest strike against Harsin.  If the current team is struggling on the field, great recruiting can at least point to progress being made within the program.  When the team is struggling, recruiting is struggling, and AL HS coaches are saying they have never met Harsin, that makes it quite difficult to believe the program's trajectory is a good one.

YEP!

I blew a gasket earlier this year when I read an article (Montgomery Advertiser ??) where numerous 6/7A in-state HS coaches had never seen Harsin walk into the school.  Schools that were within a 100 mile radius from his office desk and he'd been on the dang job for over a year and he hadn't made the effort to make the rounds.  He never introduced himself, his vision or shook hands with some of the State's top HS programs, he wasn't selling AU at all and he was completely new to the region.   In a year where this State has unprecedented talent Penn State/Clemson/Georgia/Florida all made the effort to be visible and Auburn didn't.  :realmad:

Some folks in here made excuses that covid prevented it (which was BS) because Penn State/Clemson/Georgia/Florida recruiters had already saturated the trails here and were making headway getting the talent onboard, not to mention what Saban/Alabama were doing.  There was no excuse for it in January/February and there's not excuse for it NOW. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't remember who said it (either JBoy or Locked on Auburn) but supposedly Alabama's starting LT who came from Vandy was going to come here until Mason left.

Edited by AUwent
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Members Online

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...