Does the leadership end the Internal Power Struggle?

AUgrad97

Under Lowder at least there was a clear cut leader that had all of them falling in line. An On3 poster explained it today. Now it's just a bunch of factions. The Rane/Dye faction, the Harbert faction, etc. Harbert and his pal Leath did the Malzahn extension. Basically they have struggled for power between each other and it's pulled the board in different directions over different decisions.

Seems to me like they are cancelling each other out. Hoke is now saying that he's hearing Roberts is ready to put his foot down and be his own man. Gosh I hope so. Don't wanna see another Kirby Smart blown hire situation... yet again 

Edited by au302
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

Ran into an old acquaintance today at a business luncheon in Bham and got some very interesting information that confirms my theory on the power structure within the program.  This individual was a top 5 “supporter” of the program in the 90s. He is no longer on that level today but he knows everyone inside the power grab.   Some of you who may have some connections or network at Auburn may can connect some dots. 

First, I think we all can agree Auburn has made some head scratching hires the last 15+ years but it was not because some big names were not interested.  At least 3 elite top 10 coaches reached out during the last three hirings and expressed their interest in the opening.  All  three had the same concern of the rumored power struggle outside the locker room.  The names I heard would shock some here, unfortunately for the program they were all told there was a set way Auburn did things and that system was not going to change anytime soon.  Obviously, all passed on the opening. One of which was a active NFL coach at the time, played for a title and would have been a recruiting giant.  

Fast forward to this week.  Auburn was contacted after the game Saturday and informed two very prominent coaches had an interest if they were looking to make any changes.  One is active today as a head coach and one has been a head coach and currently weighing his options.  Either one of these would immediately put us back in the conversation and solve our recruiting struggles. Both expressed they would only be interested if they garnered exclusive decisions making for the program and were guaranteed 5+ years.

Of course there is no opening today and no formal search committee but there is big time interest from some home run hires already at week 4.  I was told, if Auburn looks to make a change this year, we will know buy the next hire if the leadership has finally decided to break the system and go a different direction or if the good ole boy network stayed in place and they select another middle tier coach with some potential or limited success and extra baggage to come on board. 

I guess we will see how things play out.  

The good ole boy system didn’t hire Greene who hired this ish show.  

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Exactly! This hiring of Harsin was far outside the GOB network.

Exactly!  My fear is this cluster has reinforced their ideas that the GOB network is the way to go.  🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

The good ole boy system didn’t hire Greene who hired this ish show.  

Everybody (including myself) likes to blame the good ole boys for everything bad. Yet ADAG hired this bozo in charge. They both suck. One is leaving and another should be out the door here soon.

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Can anybody deduce who these mystery candidates are, both in this search and the last one?

Regarding our current situation:

I think there is no doubt Hugh Freeze has thrown his hat into the ring.

I think Kiffin would be interested. He knows there is a ceiling at Ole Miss.

There was something in the sports press about Sanders being considered.

Well yes, most successful coaches know auburn and see the potential . More over, they have their way of wanting to do it and want to be meddle with very little. That should go without saying. Of course , it seems certain individuals cannot allow that to occur. 

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Everybody (including myself) likes to blame the good ole boys for everything bad. Yet ADAG hired this bozo in charge. They both suck. One is leaving and another should be out the door here soon.

Don’t think for a second Harsin was not backed by a major “player”. I will just leave it at that.  

38 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Ed O?  Bob Stoops? Kevin Steele?

You left out a couple. 

Miles, Meyer, Chizik (I had too!!!) 

All with Titles.  Could be a couple others…😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

Don’t think for a second Harsin was not backed by a major “player”. I will just leave it at that.  

Sadly people truly think this. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Sadly people truly think this. 

Yes. I am kind of lost how this one could have slipped through the cracks with no inside leverage.  Would love to know how that happened and why some believe so. 

21 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

Was he on the sidelines Saturday with his hands on his knees, wearing a 90 jersey?

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Was he on the sidelines Saturday with his hands on his knees, wearing a 90 jersey?

Haha.  Not the type of “player” I was referring but that’s funny. 🤣

30 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

You left out a couple. 

Miles, Meyer, Chizik (I had too!!!) 

All with Titles.  Could be a couple others…😉

Yes.  Gruden, Jeff Fisher, and Bill Cower.  🤣🤣🤣

42 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

I would speculate that Greene sold this *player* on Harsin rather than the *player* out right backing Harsin.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I would speculate that Greene sold this *player* on Harsin rather than the *player* out right backing Harsin.

There in lies the issue. The leadership has to get the money 👍🏼 Before they make a decision. And the only way the money is ALL IN is if they will continue to have influence. 

Unfortunately, Auburns debt to coaches that are no longer on staff is larger than any school in the nation. Someone has to pay that bill. Those someone’s have leverage to stay in power as long as that debt exits.  Unless a new bank account comes on board or the leadership stands up to the old school nothing will change.  Someone has to stand up and do the right thing for the long term success of the program. 

• Thanks 2