Does the leadership end the Internal Power Struggle?

AUgrad97

8 minutes ago, AUgrad97 said:

There in lies the issue. The leadership has to get the money 👍🏼 Before they make a decision. And the only way the money is ALL IN is if they will continue to have influence. 

Unfortunately, Auburns debt to coaches that are no longer on staff is larger than any school in the nation. Someone has to pay that bill. Those someone’s have leverage to stay in power as long as that debt exits.  Unless a new bank account comes on board or the leadership stands up to the old school nothing will change.  Someone has to stand up and do the right thing for the long term success of the program. 

Roberts deserves the chance to make that change.  You stated in your OP that Roberts wants to put his foot down.  His hire of a new AD (hopefully outside the AU system) will determine the path forward.  I am optimistic.

Nothings changed much in decades and we're about to be indebted to yet another coaches buyout. 

I don't really have much confidence things will be changing anything soon. Just hope we get lucky and AU lands in a good position despite itself. 

Last week we had a seemingly credible thread quoting "insiders" who said Calzada took 1/3 of the first-team reps and was prepared to enter the Penn State game as soon as the other two QBs faltered...and I believed it.

I think from now on, I'll reserve judgement on "insider information" until I see it actually happening.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Can anybody deduce who these mystery candidates are, both in this search and the last one?

My guesses for the two coaches OP mentions in the current 'search' based on absolutely zero evidence and 100% intuition 

Active head coach:

• Freeze (Most likely 'big name' hire, IMO. The vibe I get is that he's spent enough time out of coaching and then as a DA HC at Liberty 'paying his dues.' )
  • Kiffin (Maybe, but I'm not sold he'd come. How much better is the Auburn job than Ole Miss? Yes, a Saban/Kiffin Iron Bowl rivalry would be awesome, but from his perspective he already gets a shot at Saban each year regardless.) 
  • Aranda (I don't see it. Why leave Baylor with an easier path to the playoffs and job security for a hostile environment facing Smart and Saban each year?)
  • Wildcard: Mr. Primetime himself, Deion Sanders (LOL yeah right, PTB would never allow it.  But it could be a high risk/high reward kind of thing. If he puts together a solid coaching staff led by a strong OC and DC while focusing on being a game manager and the 'public face' of the team/brand, recruiting could explode. Especially if Bo is involved; imagine being a 5* HS recruit with Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson sitting in your living room for you?)

Former head coach weighing options:

• Meyer (Possibly, but I have my doubts and reservations about him anyway.)
  • Stoops (Maybe? I can't imagine the XFL is scratching his 'head coaching' itch. But who knows.)
  • Briles (Ugh, please don't even consider him.)
  • Gruden (LOL, let's not be like Tennessee fans.)

17 hours ago, AUgrad97 said:

Ran into an old acquaintance today at a business luncheon in Bham and got some very interesting information that confirms my theory on the power structure within the program.  This individual was a top 5 “supporter” of the program in the 90s. He is no longer on that level today but he knows everyone inside the power grab.   Some of you who may have some connections or network at Auburn may can connect some dots. 

First, I think we all can agree Auburn has made some head scratching hires the last 15+ years but it was not because some big names were not interested.  At least 3 elite top 10 coaches reached out during the last three hirings and expressed their interest in the opening.  All  three had the same concern of the rumored power struggle outside the locker room.  The names I heard would shock some here, unfortunately for the program they were all told there was a set way Auburn did things and that system was not going to change anytime soon.  Obviously, all passed on the opening. One of which was a active NFL coach at the time, played for a title and would have been a recruiting giant.  

Fast forward to this week.  Auburn was contacted after the game Saturday and informed two very prominent coaches had an interest if they were looking to make any changes.  One is active today as a head coach and one has been a head coach and currently weighing his options.  Either one of these would immediately put us back in the conversation and solve our recruiting struggles. Both expressed they would only be interested if they garnered exclusive decisions making for the program and were guaranteed 5+ years.

Of course there is no opening today and no formal search committee but there is big time interest from some home run hires already at week 4.  I was told, if Auburn looks to make a change this year, we will know buy the next hire if the leadership has finally decided to break the system and go a different direction or if the good ole boy network stayed in place and they select another middle tier coach with some potential or limited success and extra baggage to come on board. 

I guess we will see how things play out.  

This also means that there are definitely interest from premier coaches . Auburn is a special place. We can’t get out of our own way. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

When the PTB has a coach they respect and, we have a coach who respects the PTB, the power will be in balance.

It seems so simple.  Hard to believe it has come to this.

This use to be the case but not so much anymore.  The salaries of todays top coaches puts them in a similar league to many of the big donors.  When a coach is making 7-10MM a year they tend not to take too much outside advice.  

there was a time that worked. The game behind the game has changed.  Show me a school where the head coach is in full control and you will see a successful program.  Time to wake up and understand the game has changed before the hole is dug so deep you never recover.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUgrad97 said:

This use to be the case but not so much anymore.  The salaries of todays top coaches puts them in a similar league to many of the big donors.  When a coach is making 7-10MM a year they tend not to take too much outside advice.  

there was a time that worked. The game behind the game has changed.  Show me a school where the head coach is in full control and you will see a successful program.  Time to wake up and understand the game has changed before the hole is dug so deep you never recover.  

I don't believe you understand how much wealth a truly big booster possesses.  Not sure you have considered generational wealth and, taxation.

The comforting thing about this is the perception that Auburn is still a desirable program for coaches. Good to know Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, and Lane Kiffin are interested.  😂

Edited by Auburn Tiger

16 minutes ago, LocalTiger said:

Sean Payton looking to get back into coaching......

Going to the cowboys, when their coach eventually screws up again.

45 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I don't believe you understand how much wealth a truly big booster possesses.  Not sure you have considered generational wealth and, taxation.

Yes. I understand exactly how much big donors are worth.  My point was that when you make 10 MM a year and are worth 100MM-200MM+ yourself you are not in awe of 500+. It’s changed from 25 years ago significantly. 

On 9/22/2022 at 10:05 AM, AUgrad97 said:

Ran into an old acquaintance today at a business luncheon in Bham and got some very interesting information that confirms my theory on the power structure within the program.  This individual was a top 5 “supporter” of the program in the 90s. He is no longer on that level today but he knows everyone inside the power grab.   Some of you who may have some connections or network at Auburn may can connect some dots. 

First, I think we all can agree Auburn has made some head scratching hires the last 15+ years but it was not because some big names were not interested.  At least 3 elite top 10 coaches reached out during the last three hirings and expressed their interest in the opening.  All  three had the same concern of the rumored power struggle outside the locker room.  The names I heard would shock some here, unfortunately for the program they were all told there was a set way Auburn did things and that system was not going to change anytime soon.  Obviously, all passed on the opening. One of which was a active NFL coach at the time, played for a title and would have been a recruiting giant.  

Fast forward to this week.  Auburn was contacted after the game Saturday and informed two very prominent coaches had an interest if they were looking to make any changes.  One is active today as a head coach and one has been a head coach and currently weighing his options.  Either one of these would immediately put us back in the conversation and solve our recruiting struggles. Both expressed they would only be interested if they garnered exclusive decisions making for the program and were guaranteed 5+ years.

Of course there is no opening today and no formal search committee but there is big time interest from some home run hires already at week 4.  I was told, if Auburn looks to make a change this year, we will know buy the next hire if the leadership has finally decided to break the system and go a different direction or if the good ole boy network stayed in place and they select another middle tier coach with some potential or limited success and extra baggage to come on board. 

I guess we will see how things play out.  

I believe this active president can do what you wish and get the AU football back to the national stage next yr