What happens when we get to 4-1?

AUght2win

I’ve been an Auburn fan long enough to expect the unexpected. The expected is for us to lose one or both of the next two. But with them both being at home against very beatable teams, I think there’s a good chance we find a way to win them. 

I’ll always root for Auburn to win. No matter what. And that’s what I’ll do Saturday and beyond. But it does seem like this may put us in a precarious spot. We can’t, nor should we, fire a 4-1 coach. But the writing is on the wall.

Or maybe going 4-1 would be exactly what we need. Maybe it calms the coaching change demands for a while, giving us time to hire an AD first. 

Regardless, I think it’ll be very hard for this team to make a bowl. I think Harsin needs 8 wins to survive. Even if he gets these next two, the last four are going to be tough to find.

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I’ve been an Auburn fan long enough to expect the unexpected. The expected is for us to lose one or both of the next two. But with them both being at home against very bearable teams, I think there’s a good chance we find a way to win them. 

I’ll always root for Auburn to win. No matter what. And that’s what I’ll do Saturday and beyond. But it does seem like this may put us in a precarious spot. We can’t, nor should we, fire a 4-1 coach. But the writing is on the wall.

Or maybe going 4-1 would be exactly what we need. Maybe it calms the coaching change demands for a while, giving us time to hire an AD first. 

Regardless, I think it’ll be very hard for this team to make a bowl. I think Harsin needs 8 wins to survive. Even if he gets these next two, the last four are going to be tough to find.

I like that idea. Calm would be a nice change of pace for a hiring process. I actually heard a rumour that some programs actually have a replacement or a 1A or 1B  candidate before they fire their current coach. Hard to believe for AU fans, I know.

• Like 2

Well I expect us to win this weekend.

A whole lot would have to change for us to beat LSU. Coaching, blocking, catching, throwing, pressure by the defense, completely different schemes on defense, new linebackers… and solid CB play. 
I will say crazy things happen at night in JH. But we would have to play like a completely different team with new OL. 

I'd be very surprised if we win the next 2. We have no passing game and we no longer have the stout defense of the last several years to keep us in the game.

Maybe we win 1 of the 2. That would put us at 3-4 at the bye week, after losses at UGA and Ole Miss. 1-3 in the SEC. Seems like a logical time to fire Harsin. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'd be very surprised if we win the next 2. We have no passing game and we no longer have the stout defense of the last several years to keep us in the game.

Maybe we win 1 of the 2. That would put us at 3-4 at the bye week, after losses at UGA and Ole Miss. 1-3 in the SEC. Seems like a logical time to fire Harsin. 

I will be pleasantly surprised if we win 4 games this year. I think this weekend is our best chance at any win and with what I saw last weekend and recent developments I would put our chances at 50/50

• Like 2

Bigger question is what happens when Kirby curb stomps us into oblivion wrecking the rest of the season along the way. We should win this week and probably WKU but that may be it. I’d be shocked if we made even the Weedeater Bowl this year. 

• Like 2

If we beat LSU there is no reason we shouldn't also beat one or both ms schools. But the thrashing we will take from uga and bama will be so severe I don't think getting to 4-1 will matter much. 

UGA may be the physically dominant team I’ve ever seen.   At this poin in the season, they might “curb stomp” Bama.

Regardless of the prior games, if Kirby unleashes on us and we get totally embarrassed (underscoring the recruiting failure)  - I’m not sure the egos-that-be will let the situation continue any further.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

I will have a massive heart attack and die.

Oh yeah, anyone who "likes",,, I will remember.

To those who "love",,, you just made the list.

Edited by icanthearyou
  • Love 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I’ve been an Auburn fan long enough to expect the unexpected. The expected is for us to lose one or both of the next two. But with them both being at home against very beatable teams, I think there’s a good chance we find a way to win them. 

I get what your saying.  But based on what I've seen so far,I don't think we have anything to worry about

• Thanks 2

If that happens then I hope they keep winning. But idk if we have anything to worry about.

This team can’t pass, refuses to run the ball, commits a lot of penalties, can’t stop the run or pass, can’t rush the passer, or force turnovers 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

I like that idea. Calm would be a nice change of pace for a hiring process. I actually heard a rumour that some programs actually have a replacement or a 1A or 1B  candidate before they fire their current coach. Hard to believe for AU fans, I know.

Jet gate maybe.....

Auburn will be 4-1 and this team will get better. That may not result in the record we'd like but it will lead to a nice bowl game.( I choose to be positive) Let's back off of the ledge and support this team even if you despise Coach Harsin. None of us can affect the future so enjoy and support this team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4-1 is possible but UGA is and was the dream killer imo (at least after this season got started). If they can compose themselves and still compete after that one, our men might be tougher mentally than anyone could ask of them 

every day, much less game, is an uphill battle 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Auburn will be 4-1 and this team will get better. That may not result in the record we'd like but it will lead to a nice bowl game.( I choose to be positive) Let's back off of the ledge and support this team even if you despise Coach Harsin. None of us can affect the future so enjoy and support this team. 

Thinking we will be 4-1 with the product we have seen on the field isnt just positive thinking...

I believe fans can totally affect the future. It was us fans that stopped them from hiring Steele. While Harsin hasnt worked out, I don't think Steele would have either.

• Like 1

The 2003 Auburn Football team lost horribly to USC, at home, and then to Ga Tech the following week. They won 8 games that year so anything is possible. You all are just a bunch of soft as baby powder dudes who want to complain. You taste blood and now you want a kill. That may not happen despite your whining and crying. Until it happens, stop bellyaching! It has gotten old! 

This is not about being right, it's about getting behind this team and Coach to support them. 

Edited by maryland tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 9

I'm honestly not sure where you guys are seeing a win against LSU. They look like a middle of the pack SEC team, much better than Mizzou actually. I see that game going 31-10 in their favor.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

The 2003 Auburn Football team lost horribly to USC, at home, and then to Ga Tech the following week. They won 8 games that year so anything is possible. You all are just a bunch of soft as baby powder dudes who want to complain. You taste blood and now you want a kill. That may not happen despite your whining and crying. Until it happens, stop bellyaching! It has gotten old! 

This is not about being right, it's about getting behind this team and Coach to support them. 

I dunno I think most if not everyone on this board is pulling for the team, after all its an Auburn Football forum. I don't think anyone really wants the team to lose but they last 2 games were pretty brutal with the Penn State game (and really it's Penn State, they are really not that good, I mean Purdue almost beat them) being just awful, you combine that with the games at the end of last season and well its just plain tough to watch.  I think everyone is behind the team just not behind the coach, the coaching staff there are few if any positives to see.  I will always be rooting for AU regardless just like i was in 2012 and all the other down years that we have had, the kids playing the game deserve that but I can also still want the current coach to be replaced....

Edited by bishoptf

23 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Dale Harsin?

• Haha 1

I just don’t think it is productive at all to fire any head coach in the middle of the season.  It’s not fair to the players.  Many would say it’s not fair to send them out on the field as poorly prepared as they were last week but it is what it is for the remainder of this season.  If you run him off now what happens the rest of the season?   Does anyone think one of the assistants could step in and do any better?  One assistant thought our D line could bull rush past the PSU O line.  Another thought our O line could block the PSU D line.  The DB’s and LBs were constantly out of position the whole second half.  The QB play was bad but look at the pressure they were under.  Our assistants were calling the plays on offense and defense.  So which one of them are you gonna  put in charge when you run the HC off?  It will just be a bigger mess than we already have.  I think back to the Terry Bowden fiasco.  Brother Oliver was worse and he was a very experienced coach.  Face it, we don’t have anyone who step in.  It would be a joke.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

I try to be reasonable, and make every attempt towards giving someone a chance to succeed but...have you watched Auburn play this year? Calling them the Keystone Cops would be overly generous. We have a coach who's as abrasive as Saban with the press without the cachet to warrant it, under prepared and undisciplined players on gameday,  significant and pressing needs were not addressed in the portal, the "late" signing period was a ghost town, and more than a few regional HS coaches have never met him.

Yes, college football fans are a dangerous and fickle beast however, in this case it appears to be warranted. Harsin is a dead man walking, and he knows it.

Edited by selias