What happens when we get to 4-1?

AUght2win

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I get what you’re saying but we had a team a half away from the CFP (2017). I would say that wouldn’t be possible in a program off the rails. If you’re omitting lightning-in-a-bottle years, then our program has been off the rails since 2006. 

Agreed with 2017. And we had a nice season in 2019. Beat one of bammer's best teams ever and gave LSU's best team ever (many including myself say the GOAT in CFB history) all they wanted on the road. No, neither season resulted in a title, but neither season were we off the tracks when Saban, Kirby & Dabo had all the top recruits and still do.

I don't see 2006 as a tipping point to end a great run. Tubbs never turned us into a dynasty. 2003 was a huge disappointment. 2005 Georgia Tech, LSU & Wisconsin, 2006 ARK & GA games were all very winnable games, but somehow Tubbs flubbed them all up, similarly how Gus would flub winnable games up like 2017 LSU.

So if one wants to note "lightning in a bottle" seasons like 2010 & 2013......2004 can be lumped into the "lightning in a bottle" seasons.

And let's be transparent...Tubbs never had to compete with Saban's & Kirbs' elite recruits like Gus did. Not saying Gus did a better job than Tubbs. But he certainly had tougher competition.

So if we're trying to figure out where the program stopped producing SEC Titles...rather than "off the tracks" tipping points for the program...the answer is the 1990 Florida game.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, AUght2win said:

True. But realistically we lost every phase of the game last week and still haven’t forced a single turnover through 3 games. It can’t realistically get much worse.

This is not an "I told you so" but after today I think we can all agree that it CAN in fact, get worse.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Viper said:

Agreed with 2017. And we had a nice season in 2019. Beat one of bammer's best teams ever and gave LSU's best team ever (many including myself say the GOAT in CFB history) all they wanted on the road. No, neither season resulted in a title, but neither season were we off the tracks when Saban, Kirby & Dabo had all the top recruits and still do.

I don't see 2006 as a tipping point to end a great run. Tubbs never turned us into a dynasty. 2003 was a huge disappointment. 2005 Georgia Tech, LSU & Wisconsin, 2006 ARK & GA games were all very winnable games, but somehow Tubbs flubbed them all up, similarly how Gus would flub winnable games up like 2017 LSU.

So if one wants to note "lightning in a bottle" seasons like 2010 & 2013......2004 can be lumped into the "lightning in a bottle" seasons.

And let's be transparent...Tubbs never had to compete with Saban's & Kirbs' elite recruits like Gus did. Not saying Gus did a better job than Tubbs. But he certainly had tougher competition.

So if we're trying to figure out where the program stopped producing SEC Titles...rather than "off the tracks" tipping points for the program...the answer is the 1990 Florida game.

THIS is a great post.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's so unpopular to think this may end up being a winning record, then better next season, that those not carrying pitchforks & torches are cowering at the onslaught of all knowing crystal ball carrying fire-Harsin-for-Saban crowd. It's SEPTEMBER. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

It's so unpopular to think this may end up being a winning record, then better next season, that those not carrying pitchforks & torches are cowering at the onslaught of all knowing crystal ball carrying fire-Harsin-for-Saban crowd. It's SEPTEMBER. 

Sorry, but if TJ is not quarterbacking this team from here on out (and I really don’t think he is that good) auburn won’t win another game.   

13 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

You can’t be serious. The schedule only gets harder from here. If we win more than 2 more games, I’d be very surprised. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AUAlumnTN said:

This is not an "I told you so" but after today I think we can all agree that it CAN in fact, get worse.

I mean, we won. It wasn’t worse than last week getting beat by 30 at home.

12 hours ago, Viper said:

2004 was the result of a steady process of securing solid talent and developing it into elite talent. It wasn’t a fluke. 2002 was a good season. 2003 got off to a horrible start but was by no means a bad year. 2004 we finally broke through. 2005 was same as 2003. 2006 was a great year that could have been a natty. 

Tubbs was a great coach. He had the program competing year in and year out. Had he recruited as hard as he needed to, he’d still be here with a couple national titles by now. The 2010 team was 90% his guys. The 2004 team is as legitimate a national title team as any in history. He just didn’t have the passion or drive to keep up with Saban.

Still, I want a Tubberville type coach in terms of stability and capability of teams. One thing you have to say about every single one of Tubbs’ teams (except his last) - they could beat ANYBODY on any given week. We haven’t had that since him. And that’s a mark of a good program.

On 9/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, AUght2win said:

I mean, we won. It wasn’t worse than last week getting beat by 30 at home.

Other than the score, we did not win. We lost every other aspect of that game. Should have never went to OT if Mizzu plays to win and punches it in the EZ instead of settling for a field goal.  Don’t know which staff is more incompetent 

Edited by tbone4jc

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

Other than the score, we did not win. We lost every other aspect of that game. Should have never went to OT if Miami didn’t plays the win and punches it it the EZ to instead of settling for a GW field goal.  Don’t know which staff is more incompetent 

Does google-translate do “drunk”?

• Haha 2

On 9/23/2022 at 5:36 PM, Didba said:

The program has been off the tracks since 2016-17

Gus was exposed during the Texas A&M game in 2014. The program has slid in the wrong direction ever since. Gus gave us a friendly reach around in 2017 but then he showed his true colors AGAIN during our 28-7 loss to UGA in the SECCG and our loss to UCF in the Peach Bowl later that season. 

We hit snags like our 5-7 season of 2008 and our 3-9 season of 2012. Those times were way different then the mess we're currently in because those 2008 and 2012 teams had talent. That O-Line from 2012 that came back in 2013 was superior imo. Nick Marshall and Tre Mason could run at will behind that O-Line. If anything, those 2008 and 2012 teams just quit on the coaches. The talent was there though. This mess we find ourselves in now, and its gonna get worse, is some new territory for most Auburn fans because Auburn has always had talent. This roster is just down on talent like few I can remember. 

And for those that will say "it's a top 20 or 25 team on talent" That's not even close to being enough for SEC play, especially SEC West play. We are in trouble in ALOT of areas on this roster. We HAVE to get a coach that can work the transfer portal like a wizard and a staff that can recruit their butts off. 

• Like 1

What is so wild to me is to think of the near misses in Gus’ tenure. For instance, if we don’t get the OT win against Jacksonville State,  if we get a horse collar call in the A and M game, if Louis doesn’t catch the deflection, if Bama makes a field goal…would we be having the same conversations?

Heck, going to a last second victory over Ga state last season should have given us some sort of clue about Harsin. 

Anybody else think it’s so odd to see Harsin treat this win like a natty? I mean, I get wins are hard to come by, but this…?

• Like 1

Remember the saying "Fear the Thumb"? Wonder if we can win 2 in a row against bama within the next 10 years. I will still bleed Orange and Navy Blue no matter what but the state of the program will never improve until we better utilize NIL to shore up positions of need cough...OL...cough.

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

What is so wild to me is to think of the near misses in Gus’ tenure. For instance, if we don’t get the OT win against Jacksonville State,  if we get a horse collar call in the A and M game, if Louis doesn’t catch the deflection, if Bama makes a field goal…would we be having the same conversations?

Heck, going to a last second victory over Ga state last season should have given us some sort of clue about Harsin. 

Anybody else think it’s so odd to see Harsin treat this win like a natty? I mean, I get wins are hard to come by, but this…?

Harsin acting like today's win was some huge, career defining win, shows me that he didn't do much homework about SEC football before he took the job. Missouri is a basement dweller and everyone seems to know this but Harsin. Putting up a big 0 spot on the scoreboard for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters should embarrass the hell out of him. We were a 7.5 point favorite with Robby Ashford and Holden Geriner as our QB's today. That should tell him how bad Missouri is. 

I remember when Harsin gave his introductory press conference when he first got to Auburn, a reporter asked him if he knew just how intense the Iron Bowl rivalry is for the fans and was he ready for it. He said he has watched The Iron Bowl nearly every year and knows it's usually a great game. Then he said I definitely understand the rivalry and I'm ready for it because I've coached in The Red River Shootout game while an OC at Texas. 

😏 Dude was at Texas for 1 freaking year. We should've seen the writing on the wall from that first presser he did. 😂

• Love 1