9/23/22 Auburn articles

aubiefifty

Watch Tank Bigsby surprise Auburn teammates with new Beats by Dre headphones

Updated: Sep. 22, 2022, 8:16 p.m.|Published: Sep. 22, 2022, 7:55 p.m.

3-4 minutes

Auburn’s team meeting Thursday afternoon ran a little longer than usual.

That’s because Tank Bigsby had a surprise for his Auburn teammates. The Tigers’ star running back delivered a generous gift to each of his teammates, providing every player on the roster with a brand new pair of Beats by Dre Studio³ Wireless headphones.

Read more Auburn football: What Bryan Harsin said (and didn’t say) about Auburn’s QB situation entering SEC play

Zach Calzada to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery

Father of T.J. Finley criticizes Auburn’s two-quarterback system, discusses son’s injury

“I just want to start by saying, I love y’all guys, and I’m thankful to be on this team with you guys,” Bigsby said while standing at the front of Auburn’s team meeting room. “I want to say, this opportunity is one time, and it’s crazy; it’s a blessing, man. God took me -- I’ve been through so much, and just stepping over those steps I’ve been through and getting where I’m at now with you guys, it’s amazing. I just want to let y’all know, I know y’all said it’s hard to lock in, it’s hard to stay focused, so I think this right here will keep y’all focused and locked in before you have to do something difficult... So, this is what I got for y’all boys to keep y’all locked in.”

Bigsby then turned around to a draped table behind him as head of equipment Dana Marquez unveiled the surprise, prompting a riotous roar from the auditorium.

Auburn has 114 players listed on its official roster, between scholarship players and walk-ons. Not including Bigsby, that means the junior running back provided 113 pairs of the headphones to his team. The Beats by Dre Studio³ Wireless headphones are listed on the company’s site for $349.95, meaning the total value of Bigsby’s gift was at $39,550.

That’s a lot for a college athlete, and it was made possible thanks to NIL.

“Christmas came early; we got Santa Claus right here,” starting center Tate Johnson said.

Each box of headphones included a personal note from Bigsby, which read: “There is no ‘I’ in team, but together we are family, brothers, an army! A group of guys that are unstoppable when together! Always remember it’s us vs. the world!”

Bigsby’s generous gift to his team comes on the eve of SEC play. Auburn (2-1) will host Missouri (2-1) on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Kickoff is set for 11 a.m. on ESPN, as Auburn will aim to bounce back from its first loss of the season last weekend against Penn State.

You can watch Bigsby’s surprise in the video posted by Auburn below:

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bryan Harsin responds to questions about Auburn’s QB situation amid TJ Finley, Zach Calzada reports

Sydney Hunte
3-4 minutes

Bryan Harsin found himself in hot water after Auburn was blown out of Jordan-Hare Stadium by visiting Penn State in Week 3.

Neither TJ Finley nor Robby Ashford did much to give themselves an edge in the Tigers’ quarterback room. Finley was 11-of-19 for 152 yards, 0 touchdowns, and 1 interception. Ashford threw the same number of passes, completing 10 of them, while throwing for Auburn’s lone touchdown of the game early in the 4th quarter.

That’s on top of the news that Zach Calzada will reportedly miss the rest of the season as he is set to have surgery on his injured shoulder, along with Finley’s own injury situation. So, it’s apparently Ashford on Saturday against Missouri.

Or is it? One thing’s for sure: anyone hoping for an update on either Calzada or Finley won’t get it from Harsin.

“We talk about guys that have season-ending injuries. We don’t talk about every injury. And unfortunately, there’s just a lot of information out there,” he told Auburn play-by-play man Andy Burcham during his radio show on Thursday. “These poor kids, they’re just trying to focus on getting healthy.”

Harsin saw an attempt at the end of last season to get him fired ultimately fail, but he hasn’t done much to quell the dissatisfaction surrounding the program’s performance under his guidance. A loss to Mizzou on Saturday, regardless of who’s behind center, could stoke the flames even more.

Who will start at QB for Auburn? 3 things to know about the other Tigers

4-5 minutes

Auburn Tigers running back Tank Bigsby (4) tries to elude Penn State Nittany Lions defensive back Joey Porter Jr. (9) as Auburn Tigers take on Penn State Nittany Lions at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022.

Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium will mark the first time Missouri football has ever played there.

The schools have met only three times ever, with the latest an Auburn win at Faurot Field in 2017.  

The two schools also met once in the Sun Bowl in 1973, a Missouri win, as well as the 2013 SEC championship game, which Auburn won. Before Saturday’s game, here are three things to know about the current iteration of the more-southern Tigers. 

How hot is Harsin's seat?

Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin has reached the end of his rope on the plains. After the Penn State debacle, rumors of Harsin’s impending firing roared. 

He made it to the Missouri game, but if he and his Tigers don’t win, Harsin’s tenure at Auburn could come to an unceremonious end. At his weekly press conference, Harsin deflected as to whether Saturday's game is a must-win game. 

"I would categorize every Saturday as a must-win,” Harsin said. “I don't really have an answer for you there. Yes. Any time you ask me that from this point on, yes, it's a must-win." 

Harsin’s status was in limbo for a portion of the offseason. He survived an investigation into his handling of the program that could have resulted in his firing for cause, which would have negated his buyout. 

Despite making it through that, Harsin’s status as coach remained tenuous. He acknowledged the impact of the investigation at SEC Media Days in July. 

“What it did is it united our football team, our players, our staff, our football team,” Harsin said. “I'm really proud of our guys. I'm proud of what something like that that could be very challenging and difficult for a lot of people, how our guys stepped up and handled it.” 

Seven studs

Even with all of the chaos surrounding Auburn this season, the defensive front seven remains a major strength. The unit is likely the best position group on the team, possibly barring the running backs. 

The line is led by junior defensive end Colby Wooden, who has 10 tackles so far on the season, including one for loss. He is joined on the line by Marcus Harris, who has a sack and three tackles for loss so far in 2022. 

Eku Leota has been a force at the edge rusher position for Auburn so far this season. Leota leads the team with four tackles for loss so far this season and has one sack for a nine-yard loss. 

With so much talent on the unit, it has become especially important for Missouri to fix some of its offensive line issues that have plagued it throughout the season. The Tigers have struggled to give Brady Cook time to throw and get much of a push for the run game. 

Should those issues not be remedied, Auburn’s defensive front seven could make for a long day on the plains for Missouri. 

Auburn Tigers quarterback Robby Ashford (9) during tiger walk at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022.

QB issues

Auburn’s starting quarterback for its first three games, TJ Finley, will not play in Saturday’s game against Missouri. However, Harsin had not yet announced a starter for the matchup, after Finley and the rest of the offense struggled against Penn State. 

Robby Ashford played during the matchup against the Nittany Lions, so it stands to reason that he would have first crack at the start against Missouri. Ashford finished the Penn State game with 10 completions on 19 attempts for 144 yards and a touchdown. 

However, Ashford also threw two picks last week. Should Harsin decide the performance coupled with his week of practice isn’t enough to lock down the starting job, he’ll have a few other options. 

Zach Calzada was expected to sit with Ashford at the top of the list. However, it was reported Thursday that Calzada is undergoing shoulder surgery and is expected to miss the game Saturday against MU.

Calzada played for Texas A&M last season when the Aggies came to Faurot Field and beat the Tigers 35-14. He played well in that game, throwing for 148 yards and two touchdowns. 

In addition to those two, Auburn also has freshman Holden Geriner, who could see playing time. 

Struggling Auburn Hopes for Rebound When Missouri Visits for the First Time - Alabama News

Alabama News Network Staff,
3 minutes

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 4:55 PM CDT

Updated: Sep 22, 2022 4:56 PM CDT

by Alabama News Network Staff

Penn St Auburn Football

Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin reacts after a turnover during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Penn State, Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

Auburn is trying to rebound from a blowout loss to Penn State when Missouri visits Jordan-Hare Stadium for the first time Saturday.

It’s the Southeastern Conference opener for both teams.

Auburn lost 41-12 to Penn State last week. Missouri suffered a similar fate in its only other Power Five game, losing 40-12 at Kansas State.

Auburn has dropped five straight games against Power Five opponents and has totaled 18 points in the last six quarters.

Auburn and coach Bryan Harsin are trying to keep the season from going off the rails. Auburn has scored just 18 points in the last six quarters and dropped five straight against Power Five teams. Missouri had to rebound from a nearly identical margin of defeat (40-12) to Kansas State. But Abilene Christian didn’t provide much of a challenge.

Which passing game will break through? Auburn’s two-quarterback rotation has led to the 87th-rated passing offense, producing just 225.3 yards a game and two touchdowns total. Missouri’s Brady Cook had career-highs with 297 yards and three touchdowns, albeit against Abilene Christian. Missouri still ranks 94th with an average of 218.3 passing yards.

Harsin has refused to say if he’ll make a quarterback change or discuss the health status of T.J. Finley, who appeared to suffer an injury to his non-throwing shoulder against Penn State. But neither Finley nor backup Robby Ashford has been consistent. Finley has been intercepted four times and Ashford twice in three games. They’ve each thrown one touchdown pass. Former Texas A&M starter Zach Calzada hasn’t played.

Auburn is 24-5 over its last 29 SEC openers. Several Missouri staffers have ties to Auburn and/or Harsin, including head coach Eliah Drinkwitz. Drinkwitz worked under the Auburn coach at Arkansas State and Boise State. He also worked at Auburn in 2010-11.

Kickoff is at 11AM CDT on ESPN.

Converted tight end may have bigger role this week, Harsin says

Mark Murphy
4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–Sophomore Landen King, who made his first catch of the 2022 Auburn football season last Saturday vs. Penn State, could play a bigger role in the offense this week. That is what Coach Bryan Harsin said Thursday on Tiger Talk, Auburn's weekly call-in show.

King, who is 6-5, 220 pounds out of Beaumont, Tex., made a move from tight end to wide receiver this year so the Tigers can take more advantage of his receiver skills. However, he is not listed on the depth chart for Saturday’s Southeastern Conference home opener vs. Missouri at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“He has been out there,” Harsin said of the player who made an impressive diving catch for 24 yards to convert a third down play vs. Penn State.

“He has actually had plays we have tried to target him so he is in the mix,” the coach said. “He is getting more and more reps. He is doing well on special teams, too. You will see him out there. Look for him on special teams–kickoff and kickoff return.

“As far as offensively, he has been the first read, but we haven’t gotten it to him,” Auburn’s second-year head coach added. “He has been a guy we are trying to target. He has got a pretty sizable package this week that he can use, and we are going to use with him.

“I think he will be out there and hopefully get the ball in his hands, and we will get a chance to see him make some plays,” Harsin said. “He is doing everything on his end to have himself in the mix and ready to go.”  Last season King caught five passes for 59 yards, including a touchdown vs. Alabama.

11274474.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Landen King is a sophomore for the Tigers. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Auburn247, 247Sports)

On the subject of the guy throwing the football for the Tigers this week with starter T.J. Finley injured in last Saturday’s 41-12 loss, Harsin did not provide much information on his quarterback situation on his Thursday night Tiger Talk radio show appearance. Backup Robby Ashford, who has played in each of the first three games, is expected to get his first college start and Finley is expected to miss the game. Another backup, Texas A&has M transfer Zach Calzada, missed spring practice after having shoulder surgery and there is a question about whether or not he will play this season. The other scholarship quarterback on the roster is freshman Holden Geriner, an early graduate who participated in spring drills.

“This has always been a policy–we talk about guys that have season-ending injuries,” Harsin said. "We don't talk about every injury."

Harsin added, “When we go into this game we feel good about where our guys are at. We feel good about the competition that has happened throughout the week. When we go out there and play we will have a quarterback on the field and he will play well.”

Both Auburn and Missouri bring 2-1 records into Saturday’s matchup, which will be televised on ESPN. It will be just the second regular season game between the teams and the first time they have met at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

13COMMENTS

Auburn has victories over Mercer (42-16) and San Jose State (24-16). Missouri opened the season at home with a 52-24 win vs. Louisiana Tech. In week two Mizzou lost 40-12 at Kansas and last week the team was a 34-17 winner at home over Abilene Christian.

** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn News, Notes & Opinion Content***

Man, you know it's bad when we are three games into a season and the main headline for the week is our players get headphones. We are a long way from those hard-core dudes who almost murdered UGAs Reggie Brown.  

Bryan Harsin's recruiting pitch in the offseason seems to be all talk

Auburn Wire
4-5 minutes

There are a lot of issues on full display on the Plains. Head coach Bryan Harsin is under scrutiny for the product on and off the field. After struggling with San Jose State of the Mountain West and Penn State of the Big Ten, the Tigers don’t look anywhere near what was expected.

Going into the 2022 season the offense was a huge question mark as expected. There was a mass exodus that included the leading passer and leading receiver transferring out of the program. Legacy quarterback Bo Nix left for the Oregon Ducks and Kobe Hudson decided to reunite with former Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn at Central Florida.

Buy Tigers Tickets

This left the offense looking for answers. Neither T.J. Finley nor former Oregon QB Robby Ashford has provided any consistency at the position. Finley was benched against Mercer after two interceptions and again during the Penn State game in favor of Ashford. Much like the starter, the backup has one touchdown and multiple interceptions.

Much like the offensive unit, the defensive side has struggled with creating pressure on the opposing quarterbacks or even creating a single turnover. With an offense that is inconsistent they needed the strength of their team to create more opportunities and that just hasn’t happened. The defense gave up five rushing touchdowns, 245 yards rushing, and 6.3 yards per attempt against Penn State. They were absolutely gashed while being outscored 27-6 in the final 30 minutes of the game.

Simply put, the product on the field hasn’t been good. The team still has all of their goals in front of them as SEC play opens on Saturday, but how confident should you be? We know all about the play on the field but it might be worse on the recruiting trail.

The Athletic recently wrote about the trails in the state of Alabama (subscription required), which didn’t paint the Auburn head coach in a very good light. During the offseason, the head coach spoke about making a stronger effort in the state of Alabama. But was it all talk to get some heat off of him? It would appear so.

At SEC media days the embattled head coach had a one-word message for the recruits looking at the Plains, “watch.” Unfortunately for him, they have been, and as we stated previously it hasn’t been a fun experience.

As far as the Athletic’s report, anonymous head coaches from the state have stated that they haven’t seen or heard from Harsin.

I gotta be careful because I don’t want to get hung out here, but Bryan Harsin hasn’t been to our school. He’s never been here. That’s been a surprise. They’ve got a lot of outstanding recruiters on their staff, though. I think that (Harsin) has put together a good staff. But I don’t know the head coach there. – Mobile Area Coach

When asked about the difference between Alabama and Auburn, the answers focused on the latter not being aggressive enough. One coach said that Auburn isn’t working the trails at every opportunity as Alabama does.

It isn’t only “watching” that needs to be done, they need to get in front of the recruits and it doesn’t appear that is happening enough. Bringing in a head coach from Boise State seems to be blowing up in their faces. If you need proof look at the product on the field and Auburn’s No. 54 recruiting class (247Sports), No. 51 (Rivals) and No. 32 (On3). The lowest that Auburn has seen since 2004 (No. 30).

At this point, it is just a matter of time before there is a move made. Given how it has looked on and off the field, the sooner might be the better for War Eagle.

1 minute ago, AUCE05 said:

Man, you know it's bad when we are three games into a season and the main headline for the week is our players get headphones. We are a long way from those hard-core dudes who almost murdered UGAs Reggie Brown.  

read the one about harsin and recruiting. it will make you cry if it is true.

• Like 1

AUBURN — A national search has begun for Auburn's next athletics director, but in the meantime, Rich McGlynn is the man in charge.

New AU President Chris Roberts named McGlynn the interim AD on Tuesday, at least temporarily replacing Allen Greene, who resigned eight days before the start of football season.

"I'm excited and humbled to help lead Auburn athletics through this transition period. I'm thankful to Dr. Chris Roberts for this opportunity," McGlynn said in a statement. "I have such enthusiasm and love for Auburn. We've raised our family here, all four of our children have attended Auburn and we bleed orange and blue."

Who is McGlynn? Here are three things to know about the interim's background.

Rich McGlynn pulled strings for Auburn in Cam Newton eligibility saga

McGlynn's permanent job title is executive associate AD for compliance. He has handled some of Auburn's most famous NCAA dust-ups over the years, including former quarterback Cam Newton's eligibility snafu during the 2010 national championship season.

As Newton was in the midst of a Heisman Trophy-winning season, the NCAA recommended to Auburn that he be declared ineligible because it had deemed that a Mississippi State booster acted as an agent while Newton was being recruited. According to a 2011 report by longtime Auburn beat writer Phillip Marshall of 247Sports, McGlynn penned a letter to the NCAA that helped restore Newton's eligibility just in time for the SEC title game.

“I knew we had a pretty good argument that Cam had very little culpability,” McGlynn told Marshall. “In fact, none. I think we put a really strong argument together that, although technically this bylaw might have been violated, it does not warrant withholding an individual from competition, especially when he had no knowledge it was going on. That, I think, is ultimately what the NCAA agreed with. Thank goodness it did.”

AUBURN HISTORY'The first one changes you': Auburn, Alabama football coaches recall their Iron Bowl debuts

AUBURN FOOTBALLCan TJ Finley reprogram himself to save Auburn football again?

McGlynn led Auburn basketball through NCAA investigation

McGlynn also guided Bruce Pearl's basketball program through a four-year NCAA investigation that ended in December 2021 with minimal penalties. The investigation stemmed from former assistant coach Chuck Person's September 2017 arrest and eventual conviction for accepting bribes to steer pro prospects to an agent and financial adviser. It was part of a wide-reaching FBI investigation into corruption throughout college basketball.

During the investigation, Auburn wisely self-imposed a postseason ban in the 2020-21 season, a year in which the Tigers struggled anyway. As the NCAA finally reached its conclusion early in the 2021-22 season, Auburn was surging with arguably its most talented roster in program history.

The resulting penalties? A report from the Committee on Infractions stated that the Tigers' self-imposed postseason ban was enough to avoid facing the same punishment again. Pearl was suspended two games and Auburn received four years probation.

McGlynn worked for NCAA with law background before Auburn

Before he arrived at Auburn in 2006, McGlynn spent five years working for the NCAA, including a job in the enforcement arm of college sports' governing body, which explains his expertise in compliance.

His titles there included student-athlete reinstatement representative and associate director of membership services.

McGlynn received his doctorate in law from Seton Hall in 1999 after attending Florida Southern for undergrad. Before entering the world of college athletics, he was a legal specialist for the New Jersey general assembly majority office (2000-01).

This article originally appeared on Montgomery Advertiser: Auburn interim AD Rich McGlynn: Cam Newton, Bruce Pearl and more

Father of T.J. Finley criticizes 2-QB system, discusses son's injury

Updated: Sep. 22, 2022, 4:54 p.m.|Published: Sep. 22, 2022, 10:26 a.m.
9-11 minutes

The father of Auburn starting quarterback T.J. Finley voiced his frustration with the Tigers’ two-quarterback system and play-calling this week in the aftermath of a humbling loss to Penn State in which his son injured his shoulder.

David Finley made an appearance on the Locked On Auburn podcast Thursday morning and discussed his son’s shoulder injury, his issue with how the quarterback situation has been handled and his expectations for his son upon his eventual return to the field. David Finley was candid during his appearance on the show but also cautious; he did not mention any coaches by name while airing out his criticisms, noted he has nothing against any of Auburn’s other quarterbacks and added that he was not speaking on behalf of his son, only himself.

“Neither quarterback has been able to get into a rhythm,” David Finley said of Auburn’s two-quarterback system through the first three games. “Whether they want to admit it or not, I feel it affect both of them. That’s the point. I don’t think (T.J.’s) been able to really settle in and get a full game behind him…. A quarterback looking over your shoulder—I don’t care if you’re a manager at your job and going for a director’s position, and you got another manager going for it with you, you’re looking over your shoulder…. You need to be embraced as QB1, so you’re not looking over your shoulder, and I’m going to ride with you.”

Read more Auburn football: Auburn defense falling well short of lofty sack goal so far

“That’s our identity”: Can Auburn reestablish run game in SEC opener?

What to make of Auburn’s “lack of focus” in first big game of season

Auburn has relied on a two-quarterback system with Finley and Robby Ashford so far this season, despite the former being named the team’s starting quarterback last month, six days before the opener against Mercer.

While Finley has started all three games against Mercer, San Jose State and Penn State, the two have rotated in and out of the lineup at various points each week. Finley has played 133 snaps through three games, while Ashford has received 73 snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. The two have been on the field together at the same time once during that span.

The most even split came in last week’s 41-12 loss to Penn State, in which Finley was pulled from the game early in the third quarter after committing three turnovers and sustaining a shoulder injury that will keep him out of Auburn’s SEC opener against Missouri this weekend. Finley finished the game 11-of-19 passing for 152 yards, an interception and a lost fumble. Ashford was 10-of-19 for 144 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

David Finley, who had six pages of prepared notes for his interview, believes the two-quarterback system “wasn’t productive at all” against Penn State and pondered whose fault that was. While he was admittedly disappointed with his son’s play—and believes he’s T.J.’s staunchest critic—upon rewatching the game he felt better about his performance but felt the gameplan didn’t do either quarterback any favors. He also noted that this Auburn offense isn’t what he expected when his son transferred to the Plains, saying that he thought they would be passing the ball more.

“Everything goes into play here,” David Finley said. “Now, do his turnovers help? No. But why did he turn it over?”

Finley fumbled twice on strip-sacks by Penn State, losing one of them, as the Nittany Lions finished the day with seven sacks — the most allowed by Auburn in a game since Clemson had 11 in the teams’ 2017 meeting. He also threw an interception, his fourth of the season, on a play in which a receiver ran the wrong route.

Finley’s play was also impacted by the injury he sustained late in the first half. David Finley confirmed his son hurt his right shoulder on a 13-yard run in which he dragged a couple of Penn State defenders for extra yardage to pick up a first down (the play was called back due to an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against left guard Brandon Council) but remained in the game after halftime.

“Looking back Sunday morning, I don’t know how he went back out there,” David Finley said. “Must’ve been adrenaline.”

His son’s day ended two drives into the second half: Auburn opened the third quarter with a three-and-out, and then Finley committed his second turnover of the day on the team’s next possession. After the game, coach Bryan Harsin said Finley’s shoulder injury didn’t impact the decision to remove him from the game, implying the Tigers’ starter was benched in favor of Ashford to see if the former Oregon transfer could provide a spark with an extended opportunity.

David Finley expressed disappointment over Harsin’s postgame comments on the situation.

“On TV they saw it,” he said of the shoulder injury. “They talked about it all over TV when it happened…. Bench both of them, then. You named him QB1; shouldn’t he have a full opportunity to prove he wasn’t QB1?”

Finley earned the starting job after an offseason-long competition among him, Ashford and Texas A&M transfer Zach Calzada. Finley separated himself from the pack with his understanding and command of the offense, while Ashford made a push during fall camp as he continued to progress within the system and provided alluring potential as a dual-threat option.

Although Finley was named the starter heading into the first game, it was apparent Ashford would also be given an opportunity to see the field. David Finley was asked during his appearance on the podcast if he was surprised the two-quarterback experiment has lasted as long as it has.

“I was surprised it started in the beginning,” he said. “If you say I’m QB1, then I’m QB1. You tell me what system, from your whole time watching football, had a two-quarterback system that actually worked?... I’m just calling a spade a spade.”

Harsin has used two-quarterback systems in the past and has experienced some success with it, most notably during the 2017 season at Boise State with Brett Rypien and Montell Cozart. That situation was comparable to Auburn’s current setup in that Rypien was the team’s starter while Cozart was a more mobile, change-of-pace quarterback who saw the field in certain situations.

Auburn’s second-year coach has said the team would use both quarterbacks so long as it was benefitting the offense.

Through three games, Auburn’s offense has struggled. The Tigers are 91st nationally in scoring at 26 points per game, and they have committed eight turnovers, which is 114th among FBS teams. Finley has completed 33-of-55 passes (62.3 percent) for 431 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions. He has also run for a touchdown. Ashford has completed 15-of-29 passes (51.7 percent) for 245 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions.

Ashford will likely have more opportunity, at least this week, with Finley sidelined due to his shoulder injury. Harsin has been noncommittal about Auburn’s quarterback situation entering SEC play, but David Finley confirmed earlier reports about his son’s availability against Missouri. He will miss Saturday’s SEC opener, and his status beyond that is uncertain.

According to David Finley, his son was “banged up pretty bad” before he and his wife, Shannon, left town Sunday. Finley needed help putting his shirt on and had to eat with his left hand because of the pain in his right shoulder. Finley previously injured his left shoulder during Auburn’s win against San Jose State but managed to play through it. David Finley added that he doesn’t believe there’s structural damage to Finley’s throwing shoulder, but the family is waiting to find out more, and there’s a chance his son could be sidelined beyond this weekend.

“He thinks he’s Superman sometimes, but I tell him, if you’re not 100 percent and ain’t able to do certain things, don’t go look worse,” David Finley said.

Regardless of how much time Finley misses due to the injury, his dad is hopeful that upon his return, he’ll be right back in the mix at quarterback.

“He was named QB1,” David Finley said. “I would hope, being that he was QB1 and it was pretty much a 50-50 split, I would hope that when he comes back, he’ll assume his position of where he was at, which I don’t see who has done what to lose what.”

Until then, Auburn (2-1) will try to rebound as it enters SEC play. The team hosts Missouri this week and then finishes its five-game season-opening homestand next weekend against LSU (6 p.m. on ESPN). Then things really pick up: Auburn hits the road for the first time this season with a trip to defending national champion and top-ranked Georgia, followed by a game at No. 16 Ole Miss before the bye week. All that as pressure continues to mount on Harsin, who entered the season on the hot seat and did little to cool it with last weekend’s lopsided defeat against Penn State.

David Finley said that when it comes to outside noise, “you try to block it out, but when you have so much that’s happening, and then some people throw some people under the bust, and… want to blame this,” it makes it difficult. Still, from his perspective, David Finley believes the team will have no issue rallying after last weekend’s setback.

“These kids are hungry,” he said. “…Not everybody gets NIL (money). These guys are playing for their careers and trying to get to the league, so they’re going to rally themselves, if nothing else. They have to go out and perform.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

Note to readers: if you purchase something through one of our affiliate links we may earn a commission.

5 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

I'm pulling for Robby and this Auburn football team. Thank you for posting these articles! 

thank you so much.

this one is about ten years old but worth reposting. it's from the bleacher report.

Auburn Football: 10 Ways You Know You're a Tigers Fan

Ian Berg
8-11 minutes

March 30, 2012

Auburn Football: 10 Ways You Know You're a Tigers Fan

0 of 10

Every college football team carries its own traditions. At Auburn, most are so unique that it’s pretty easy to know you’re a true Tigers fan.

Auburn, Ala., is a quaint town that sits along the interstate between Montgomery and Atlanta. If not for Auburn University, the town would be just another possible gas stop for a passerby. Because the town and the university feed off one another, most traditions have become intertwined.

Auburn may not be the most unique football venue in the country, but don’t tell Auburn people that. They won’t believe you.

To the Auburn Family, it’s so much more than a campus or a city, it’s a place where dreams are fulfilled and goals are reached. Memories are shared with some of the best friends you never met. 

You Say 'War Eagle' Instead of Hello

1 of 10

On game days, Auburn becomes filled with orange-and-blue clad fans that roam the streets and fill the shops and local restaurants. The sound of “War Eagle” is everywhere as fans enter shops and pass on the streets.

The battle cry of “War Eagle” began in 1892 with Auburn’s first game against Georgia. According to legend, a Civil War veteran attended the first game with his pet eagle he had found on the battlefield.

During the game, the eagle took off and circled the field as Auburn drove for the winning score. The student section began to chant “War Eagle” and the tradition began.

What it has become is a greeting and goodbye, a friendly passing phrase and a firm hello. “War Eagle” is heard all around the globe and in more places than most would expect. Foreign countries and airports seem to be popular. My most outrageously out of place “War Eagle” was in Coronado Beach, Calif.

When an Auburn man or woman passes the other and takes notice, “War Eagle” will undoubtedly be spoken, instantly connecting people and a place they hold dear.

No Red Cars or Clothes

2 of 10

In the state of Alabama, choosing sides between the Tigers and Tide happens at birth or in the DMV when the new move is made official. If you live or even pass through Alabama, it likely will be asked "are you for Alabama or Auburn?"

One of the most telling signs of your fandom is clothing and car color. It may seem ridiculous, but the majority of Auburn fans will not drive a red car or buy red clothes. Getting a crimson sweater for Christmas is a curse.

It seems crazy and a bit outlandish, but most die-hard Auburn fans will not be caught dead buying anything that may remotely resemble crimson. Why, you ask? Everything that is crimson inside the state lines wears a scripted “A.”

You Hate Paul Finebaum, but Listen Occasionally

3 of 10

Paul Finebaum knows his role in the state of Alabama. He is the Jerry Springer of sports radio for the state. To make things worse, he is now nationally broadcast through satellite radio. As if the world needed to be exposed to the idiocy that fills the Paul Finebaum Radio Network most days.

Auburn fans complain constantly about Finebaum, but they still tune in the dial on occasion to get the blood boiling again. It is almost like a fire by the road: you have to take a look as you pass.

Auburn has a very famous caller by the name of Tammy. Unfortunately, she doesn’t make her fellow Auburn fans very happen with her rants. Tammy fits the mold of the typical caller of the show.

Another famous voice on the Paul Finebaum lines was Harvey Updyke, the alleged Toomer’s Oaks poisoner. If not for his virtual confession on the show, the Toomer’s Oaks would surely be dead by now. For that, the Auburn fans should dial in just once more. 

Rolling Trees Was Never This Fun in High School

4 of 10

Rolling trees with toilet paper was the thing to do in my town in high school. When there isn’t much to do on a Friday night and there are no cows to tip, you throw toilet paper into people's trees. It makes sense.

No late night tree rolling was nearly as fun as rolling the oaks of Toomer’s. There is something special about the tradition that has grown over the years. No other fanbase gets this tradition, and it is very unique to Auburn.

When the dust settles on a home football win or major victory for an Auburn athletics team, people of all ages flood the streets for the traditional rolling. It is more of an experience than anything; celebrating a Tigers victory while layering Charmin Ultra onto the limbs of a beloved oak tree is an unbeatable experience. 

You Hated the BCS, Until 2010

5 of 10

The 2004 season was a travesty to Auburn fans. 

The Tigers went to the Sugar Bowl that year and finished the season undefeated with a 16-13 win over Virginia Tech. Auburn deserved their national title, but they weren’t given a shot at the game. Auburn fans began to despise the BCS in early 2005.

Since then, the Tigers have won a national title. In 2010, the Tigers rode another undefeated season to the BCS title game. The scar of 2004 seemed to clear up a little, and now the Tigers are okay with landing in the national title game after a conference title victory.

Interestingly, the Tigers are the only SEC team to go undefeated more than once in the BCS era. Only one other SEC team carries an undefeated season: the 2009 Alabama team.

Shakers Are Normal When It's Gameday

6 of 10

Let’s be honest, almost every occasion imaginable using a shaker or pom-pom as a dude is off limits. On Auburn game days it is forgivable and actually encouraged. Adding to the sea of orange and blue shakers throughout the stadium is a virtual must.

Almost every fan will carry the shaker into the game. Gentlemen, just don’t get caught in the living room dancing with the pom-poms in the middle of July. They change from shakers to pom-poms in the offseason.

Gameday Shirts Are Worn on Gameday

7 of 10

One of the many traditions that come with college football is gameday shirts. There is nothing wrong with being a fan and showing your pride for your team. By all means, wear that jersey in public; who am I to stop you?

There are a lot of schools that see its fans constantly wear apparel that bears its logo. I am willing to bet that the school loves the revenue that is driven from merchandising.

Auburn has a great fan following, but the Tigers fans are a little more modest than their in-state rivals with apparel and trinkets.

Auburn people will wear the occasional score shirt or gameday shirt out in public, but it is a rare occurrence. Having a wide array of wardrobe options seems to be an important quality-of-life standard for most Auburn fans. 

Niffer’s Lands on the Menu Annually

8 of 10

If you take a trip to Auburn and ignore the eateries that are found on Opelika Road, you don’t know Auburn. Niffer’s Place is an Auburn original and there are only two around. The other restaurant is in Dadeville, Ala. at Lake Martin.

Niffer’s is known for its killer burgers of all meat (and non-meat) varieties. They also have the famous fish bowl that will likely take two to drink. With a great after-game atmosphere and terrible parking, Niffer’s is a must for all Auburn Tigers when they make the trek to the Plains. 

Tailgating by Affiliation

9 of 10

One of the great traditions that surround college football is the tailgating. Of course there is tailgating in other sports, but nothing compares to an SEC campus in the fall.

One thing that will happen for good Auburn people offering a “War Eagle” and a smile is free, masterfully crafted tailgating food. There isn’t anything better than a fresh grilled burger or rib that comes right before kickoff or after a victory.

The Auburn RV’s come in starting on Wednesdays of game week. They typically stay until late Sunday. Starting Thursday for big conference games, free meals are had by many college students dodging Ramen noodles by roaming tailgate spots. It’s a beautiful thing. 

The Auburn Family Is More Than a Motto

10 of 10

When other schools refer to themselves as a nation, Auburn quietly moves about its family business. The Tigers faithful take a lot of pride in the family atmosphere that not only surrounds their athletic programs, but also their school.

The Auburn Creed labels what every Auburn man and woman should strive to be and achieve in life. It speaks of believing in hard work, sympathy and helpfulness for fellow men and women. It speaks of honesty, truth and wisely developing yourself and skills over time.

Auburn and its people strive to help each other gain these things in their own lives. They look out for one another and will reach out for a fellow Auburn Family member, even if they don’t know them personally or by name.

Being a part of the Auburn Family is what makes an Auburn fan so unique. It is also what makes Auburn so special to the people that “believe in Auburn, and love it.”

• Like 1

i have no idea what news place this is but tubbs spoke so i wanted to post the article  tho it is a couple of days old.

Tuberville defends Harsin: ‘He can work his way through it’

Caleb Taylor | 09.21.22
4-5 minutes

Harsin Tuberville (Photo collage, AP)

Former Auburn football coach U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Auburn) defended current Auburn coach Bryan Harsin a few days after a 41-12 home loss Saturday to Penn State.

Tuberville told Alabama media members on a press call Wednesday that Auburn so far hasn't played very well and hasn't been consistent, but Harsin "doesn't have his players in there yet." Harsin is currently 8-8 after one full season and three games as head coach at Auburn. 

"I've had the opportunity to watch Auburn play a couple of times," Tuberville said. "A lot of this problem has been amassing over the last few years from the previous coaching staff. He doesn't have his players in there yet. They haven't played very well. They haven't been consistent. The advice I'd give him is you're the coach at Auburn. Continue to make your football team better. Don't worry about the noise from the outside…the social media. It's going to be there no matter what you're doing. You've just got to do the best you can. Be the leader on and off the field. Do the best you can and try to continue to motivate these players. The players are what win and lose the games, not the coaches. It's a hard job being a coach, especially in the SEC."

Some sports media members have speculated the loss to Penn State at home Saturday has already put Harsin back on the hot seat for his job. Paul Finebaum, a radio host and ESPN commentator, said after the loss that "the next coach at Auburn is going to understand the SEC, unlike Bryan Harsin."

Auburn's next chance at redemption after the disappointing Penn State loss is against another (2-1) SEC opponent, Missouri, at 11 a.m. Saturday at Auburn on ESPN.

"I think he can work his way through it," Tuberville said. "He's got a game coming up this week in Missouri that I think can be very competitive. He just needs to be supported by the fans from Auburn and give him the opportunity to show what he can do. He's only been in Auburn for a year and less than a half so hopefully, the team will improve and continue to compete and win a lot of games."

Tuberville said he's not for "anybody losing their job before the season is over with."

"Give them that opportunity," Tuberville stated. "They've got a contract. Let them finish it out and at the end of the year, the people in charge need to make a decision. You can't tell about a football season until the end. You never know what's going to happen. As long as your players are working hard, motivated, playing together, I think you should give the opportunity for the coach to show what they can do. One or two games doesn't make a difference. I can't believe we've already had a couple of coaches that have been released at some very powerful schools. Times have changed. Social media, talk shows, opinions…these guys have contracts. Give them the opportunity to improve, to motivate, to get the most and best out of their players. I think that's what we're missing. You've got to remember, too (if) you change a coaching staff, you've pretty much destroyed all those seniors on that football team. You've taken a chance and an opportunity away from them to enjoy their senior year and hopefully have a positive effect."

To connect with the author of this story, or to comment, email caleb.taylor@1819News.com.

Don't miss out! Subscribe to our newsletter and get our top stories every weekday morning.

Trending

• Like 1