Were we better off Losing today?

AubFanCT

1 minute ago, TeBoneAU said:

I didn't see the game and only caught the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter and the overtime on my radio while traveling. Therefore, I had the opportunity to listen to all the post - game interviews by the players from offense, defense and special teams. And I willing to bet that you would not find a single player that actually suited up in the orange and blue who would think that they would have been better off losing today. So, I must ask who is this WE?   

You make a very good point! I listened to postgame player interviews as well and I was impressed with their maturity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AubFanCT said:

It's an honest question. Harsin is obviously a lame duck coach. He's going to get fired, it's just  matter of when. Isn't it better to cut the cord as soon as possible and stop delaying the inevitable so we can move on? The question over Hasin's future is hurting our recruiting.  Other Coaches are using it against us. Once he's fired, recruits are gonna leave which always happens.  If we lost today, I think he would have been fired by midnight tonight. There is very little positive on the horizon.  An OLine dominated by a bottom tier SEC defense and a game we had no business winning are not positive signs. Would not have been a bad thing in my opinion if we lost today so we can move on sooner than later and try and right the ship of this program. 

Certainly not better for the 2022 team.

Always happy for a win. But….I don’t see how that outcome changes the equation or even the optics of firing Harsin. Anybody that is paying the least bit of attention knows what should happen, regardless of what was the official result of today’s game. The sooner that Harsin is fired and Auburn begins to move on the better off the program will be. Waiting serves no purpose IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AubFanCT said:

It's an honest question. Harsin is obviously a lame duck coach. He's going to get fired, it's just  matter of when. Isn't it better to cut the cord as soon as possible and stop delaying the inevitable so we can move on? The question over Hasin's future is hurting our recruiting.  Other Coaches are using it against us. Once he's fired, recruits are gonna leave which always happens.  If we lost today, I think he would have been fired by midnight tonight. There is very little positive on the horizon.  An OLine dominated by a bottom tier SEC defense and a game we had no business winning are not positive signs. Would not have been a bad thing in my opinion if we lost today so we can move on sooner than later and try and right the ship of this program. 

Part of me thinks we would’ve been better off with a loss, but then I saw the players celebrating and I changed my mind. The firing will happen soon enough. Until then I’m all for the players experiencing any joy they can as a team. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

"We're we better off Losing today???"

Hmmmm ... We are we better ...???

How do you answer a question like that? Is it English language, or is it a Nigerian troll on AUFamily? I'm hoping this person is not an Auburn graduate.

Were we better off losing? Actually, it makes no difference. Auburn is headed for one of the worst seasons in Auburn football history, Harsin is headed for the exit doors, and the most talented players are headed for the portal.

Lost, but won. Like many have stated, it's not a W to celebrate. I knew it would be a crap fest (look at my score prediction in score prediction thread), but not handed to us like it was.

This team is so badly coached, that even the dreadful 2012 team would beat them. Cause apparently come 2nd half any one can run all over the Defense, and as usual no adjustments made to the Offense side. 2012 had Tre Mason so that's why they would have a field day on us lol.

The answer is 'no'. There is no way we would have been better off losing the game. Based on today's performance, it's unlikely we'll be seeing too many more wins this season. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Because it would be damn near impossible to hire a future coach worth a damn when you fire one who is currently 3-1 and just got a win.   Whether it was deserved or not, doesn’t matter.   Let the season play out over the next several weeks, auburn will show its true colors.   Then it will be justified.    Auburn might be the worst team in conference.   We know Missouri is better…only vandy and SC left.  

This is the same attitude that kept Gus around longer than he should been, IMO. It's not the losing (or winning in this case). Its how we lose/win. That was not a competitive game today and it was against a team that will likely finish last in the east. Recruiting is not going well at all, and this is only our first sec game. 

If we fire harsin we might end up with another guy like him, but can't let the fear of striking out keep us from trying to get it right when its clear this ain't it. 

• Like 1

The writing is on the wall already.

The only thing gained was a) a win for the players on homecoming and b) Harsin saved himself the embarrassment of getting Herm'd in the endzone.

Beyond that, pretending as if this win* moves the needle on where anyone feels about Harsin is purely for TV personalities to have something to talk about this week.

Fans exiting the stadium were really subdued. Aside from attire, Auburn fans looked just as deflated as the Mizzou fans. I didn’t see any rah, rah, we won. Every fan I talked to after the game volunteered the same comment, “That did not feel like a win.” No, it would not be good for US to get a humiliating loss to hasten some shock and awe action. If you want a coaching change, that win didn’t redeem Harsin. Players do not ‘deserve’ a loss. And the school is best served by an orderly transition between any coach change, which needs a permanent AD first. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CodeRocket said:

For the fans, possibly, for the players definitely not.

Most fans want CBH gone and it will almost certainly happen, but not until the season is over.

Firing CBH now will be a very bad look for Auburn University. I don't think our new president will make that decision until

the season is over because by then the record will very likely tell an undeniable story.

We fans want a quick fix, kind of like grabbing the remote and clicking to a winning channel, but that is not happening. 

We did not get into this situation overnight and we won't get out of it overnight either. If anyone still doubts the 

importance of the guys in the trenches in football, they didn't watch the AU quarterbacks being pressured the last 

two games. We have big problems with our bigs and it is going to take some time to repair. 

I never want to see a HC let go in the middle of a season.  In our case we don’t have a reasonable alternative on the current staff to take over.  I know most people on the board want him gone ASAP but I disagree.  He gives the team the best chance of winning however slim it might be with some of the competition coming up.  

• Like 3

Kirby about to play 3d chess. Like the predator teasing it's prey. He knows we aren't a threat so long as CBH is here. So watch him tell his coordinators to make it look "close" so that CBH has to stay longer, lol

Edited by au302
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, au302 said:

Kirby about to play 3d chess. Like the predator teasing it's prey. He knows we aren't a threat so long as CBH is here. So watch him tell his coordinators to make it look "close" so that CBH has to stay longer, lol

A surprising W over UGA may be the only thing that saves him through the end of the season (at a minimum), and I dont see Kirby going that far

10 hours ago, fasttimes said:

This is the same attitude that kept Gus around longer than he should been, IMO. It's not the losing (or winning in this case). Its how we lose/win. That was not a competitive game today and it was against a team that will likely finish last in the east. Recruiting is not going well at all, and this is only our first sec game. 

If we fire harsin we might end up with another guy like him, but can't let the fear of striking out keep us from trying to get it right when its clear this ain't it. 

Says the guy who isn’t spending any money.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fredst said:

Always happy for a win. But….I don’t see how that outcome changes the equation or even the optics of firing Harsin. Anybody that is paying the least bit of attention knows what should happen, regardless of what was the official result of today’s game. The sooner that Harsin is fired and Auburn begins to move on the better off the program will be. Waiting serves no purpose IMO

I agree. I don't understand this coaching for your job every week thing. If the decision has been made. Get on with it

• Like 1