If it makes anybody feel any better

AUght2win

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Cristobal looks bad, Sark looks bad, Jimbo has been a disappointment, Freeman is the first ND coach to lose his first 3 games, Napier is the first UF coach to lose to UK and UT since 1955, Mel Tucker might be a dud, Tony Elliot is struggling, Venables is losing to K State…

Lot of these guys will figure it out. Some won’t. Maybe MOST won’t. 

Point is a lot of other teams are dealing with coaching duds, too. It wasn’t a terrible idea to try Harsin because there’s really no such thing as a sure-fire coaching candidate.

All that said, I’m ready for a new coach. Hopefully, we get it right this time.

I’d take Malzahn back tomorrow rather  than the current setup. And I wasn’t a Malzahn guy. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 10

Cristobal is such a dud but should be the right fit for miami even tho he's overrated.

I hate notre dame but really like Freeman, I hope he finds some success.

Kstate is no slouch, they always have a formidable program and hard to get a read on Napier.

could care a less about Elliot or Tucker 

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

Suddenly there seems to be a lot more *cough* ‘parity’ excepting just a few teams.  Not that everybody is much better with shiny new portal players. But, rather, talent seems to have taken a collective step down. Sparse sample. Easy to just correlate to coaches. But the larger landscape/environment is changing along with the simple coaching moves. There can be multiple contributing factors to sucking and succeeding. 

12 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Cristobal is such a dud but should be the right fit for miami even tho he's overrated.

I hate notre dame but really like Freeman, I hope he finds some success.

Kstate is no slouch, they always have a formidable program and hard to get a read on Napier.

could care a less about Elliot or Tucker 

K State coach would be a good coach but no sec experience.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Cristobal looks bad, Sark looks bad, Jimbo has been a disappointment, Freeman is the first ND coach to lose his first 3 games, Napier is the first UF coach to lose to UK and UT since 1955, Mel Tucker might be a dud, Tony Elliot is struggling, Venables is losing to K State…

Point is a lot of other teams are dealing with coaching duds, too. It wasn’t a terrible idea to try Harsin because there’s really no such thing as a sure-fire coaching candidate.

The biggest difference between those names except for Tony Elliot at UVA, and Harsin, is that all are recruiting exceptionally. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Taco said:

The biggest difference between those names except for Tony Elliot at UVA, and Harsin, is that all are recruiting exceptionally. 

Yes but recruiting clearly is not the only barometer. A lot of people are solely hem hawing over recruiters. That is the wrong way to be. Coaching is not an exact science so hopefully Auburn is vetting appropriately right now. Mario Cristobal has always been like this and 90 percent of the board wanted him. Pointless to have great recruiting and do nothing with it. Now Texas and Miami will be unranked with all of this talent and upcoming talent. 

No this is not a point to keep CBH. He should be gone. I am very impressed with the likes of the Tennessee coach (Who all the Tennessee fans complained about last year) and Mark Stoops consistency. Also, Sam Pittman eventhough they loss a nail biter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I wouldn’t take Malzahn back AT ALL. Harsin sucking doesn’t make Gus’ deficiencies any less bad. Auburn deserves MUCH better than its last two coaches.

Agree

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Every coach deserves time to execute their plan. 

With all sincerity, what is Harsin’s plan?

• Like 1

Just now, AUx said:

This is not about Harsin. That was just a general statement. I will give Napier a slight pass. His two losses came to two teams who will be considered top ten next week. Has one quality win in a UTAH team who I believe will win the Pac 12.

But OU losing to Kansas State. Miami losing to MTSU should not be happening.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It’s prime time, baby!

• Like 3
  • Dislike 3

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is not about Harsin. That was just a general statement. I will give Napier a slight pass. His two losses came to two teams who will be considered top ten next week. Has one quality win in a UTAH team who I believe will win the Pac 12.

But OU losing to Kansas State. Miami losing to MTSU should not be happening.

Well, Kansas State has Chris Klieman.

The man can coach football. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUx said:

Harsin doesn't even know what his plan is. That is evident by his total cluelessness to injury status and game planning 

• Like 1

I think we are ready for a change of what we are seeing on the field and we relate that to the only way that can happen is to change the coach. That’s not always the answer, it’s just the quickest way to find new hope which is what we want. Afraid it may not matter who you replace the coach with we will be dealing with this for a good while. I didn’t like the Harsin hire but for that matter I didn’t like the Chizik or Gus hire either. Afraid whoever we replace him with will be just as disappointing because that’s the trend.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes but recruiting clearly is not the only barometer. A lot of people are solely hem hawing over recruiters. That is the wrong way to be. Coaching is not an exact science so hopefully Auburn is vetting appropriately right now. Mario Cristobal has always been like this and 90 percent of the board wanted him. Pointless to have great recruiting and do nothing with it. Now Texas and Miami will be unranked with all of this talent and upcoming talent. 

No this is not a point to keep CBH. He should be gone. I am very impressed with the likes of the Tennessee coach (Who all the Tennessee fans complained about last year) and Mark Stoops consistency. Also, Sam Pittman eventhough they loss a nail biter.

I don’t disagree. But I think having the talent allows you to get to 8-9 wins a lot more easily than without. Having a guy that can recruit a line like Cristobal did at Oregon gives you more room for mistakes. Verdicts out on Sark, because I see him more like a Muschamp type of coach; great coordinator, not a great head coach.

— my takes here —

Huepel has done well. He’s doubled down on his system and recruited a lot of speed for it the past recruiting class/transfer class and I think his offense is even more potent. 

I love Stoops, used to be a member at the same golf course he was in Lexington and he’s a great guy/coach. But I feel like people are overhyping him as well. He’s really turned it around adopting Sean McVay’s west coast offense a couple years ago, and it’s done him wonders. But he’s still 0-10 against SEC west opponents on the road and his teams still like to struggle against lesser opponents for whatever reason, especially in the first half. He also lost offensive line coach John Schlarman to cancer two years ago and it’s starting to show, as Kentucky statistically has the 2nd worst OLine in the SEC. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Not hiring someone that wears flip flops with socks

Yep, if we were to hire Neon Deion I may join the peace corps for a few years. That's how interested I would be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:
17 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I was making a general statement about all of these first year coaches.

yep. I dont recall his specifics other than hard work and discipline. Napier lays out an (alleged) 12 or more step plan he intends to navigate. Would be interesting to know for sure if Harsin thinks recruiting is a big deal, if he develops for positions or just tries bolts til he finds one that fits, etc. He say’s lots of things like “yeah you want to do this or that”. But nothing like “we’re 60% into the rebuild”, or “last February set me back 1.3275 years” or “only Libras are allowed to run long routes.” 

• Haha 1