2023 AU Gymnastics

AUreo

Suni beam routine was beautiful and obviously perfection. That was a clutch routine. She got 10s twice tonight. 

With a sport like gymnastics where it’s easy for a slight bias to get the win, we will never win there.   It’s pretty amazing the scores we received on floor vs their scores…I agree they were inflated at the end 

Bama was opening with 9.9s on the last 2 rotations. But I get it. Home cheering creates an energy that judges feel on routines as well. Just glad they still gave fair scores to our girls as well in the end (maybe not floor lol) 

Suni and Derrian were absolutely robbed on floor. The judges scored 4 Bama gymnasts higher? That’s a joke. 

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

We flat out got robbed tonight. I just don't understand gymnastics scoring. Obviously when half your team gets their PRs for the year on the last two rotations "something is rotten in the state of Denmark" - Hamlet

• Like 1

Sadly, there will have to be multiple falls for Bama to ever lose to us in Tuscaloser.   When thy game the girl who stumbled on one of her tumbles, a higher score than Derrian, I knew we were screwed...just didn't expect that to happen in gymnastics the same way they do in football...smdh. Buck Fama!

The bias in judging encountered by visiting teams (any visiting teams) has got to be disheartening and discouraging to the athletes of visiting teams.

Judging in gymnastics, and a few other sports like diving and equestrian, are totally subjective, and thus corrupted by biases. Those biases are most obvious when visiting the home venue of competitors.

I can see why great athletes like Suni could be discouraged by the inherent bias of judging in SEC competition -- and as a result deciding not to return for final eligibility.

I love the competitiveness of our Tiger Gymnasts. They train and work so hard, they compete so hard. I know they understand the unfairness of the SEC competitions.

I think they accept the biased judging because each competition enables them to work harder on perfecting their skills. So when the time comes for competition that is not so biased, they will be ready, experienced.

WDE! Go for it!

DG was 2nd nationally on floor with 9.944avg. Suni is 2nd nationally in all around behind Trinity.  And they get 9.925 each with no noticeable deductions while 3 PR scores for Bama and 4 scores over that mark.  

One positive in gym is head to head is not factored into anything except during tournament time. So scoring 197.70 is fantastic progress to continue our ranking heading to nationals. 

1 minute ago, AUreo said:

Current AA standings (via reddit)

978fxrm619ga1.png

And that's with Suni taking a night off from AA the other night.  Unless they don't factor in unless you compete in all 4. Wong is exceptional this year.