2023 AU Gymnastics

AUreo

Gabby has not been solid tonight.  Steps out on last pass on floor for 9.65

I hope my Fox Sports app will show this on demand to go back and watch.  Wife only wants to have deep long conversations just when what you have carefully orchestrated your day to be ready to watch is about to start.  No getting out of those 😆 

• Haha 1

Next one out of bounds as well for 9.75.  Better start getting some 9.9s

falling back a little bit.  Vault last for us to make a comeback. 

Wow.  Nice finish!!!! Just what we needed to do.  Curious to see how it helped.  Great first meet though.  We represented well enough. 

• Like 2

Hope the others had some hiccups. We were down .425 to start.  Anything over 49 is difficult.  So we gave us a chance. 

197.350 is what we will finish. 197 in first meet is excellent. Especially the competition involved.  Still waiting on finish scores.

• Like 1

Other 2 did enough I guess.  Can't find the final scores.  But I think Suni also won AA for session 4. 39.75 to 39.65 for Jordan Chiles.

Although going in I was going to be happy if we didn't finish 4th. We got third and close to leaders.  So Job well done.  Should do us good if make it back to the final 4. Maybe scoring will improve in judges eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Team: 1. Oklahoma, 197.925; 2. Michigan, 197.400; 3. Auburn, 197.350; 4. UCLA, 197.275.

All-around: 1. Suni Lee, Auburn, 39.750; T2. Jordan Chiles, UCLA; Jordan Bowers, Oklahoma, 39.650

Found this here: 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/olympic-champion-lee-wins-all-around-title-at-super-16-results-2708597/

Only school outside of session 4 in this range was California with a 197.45 to win session 3. Suni was top all around score for entire event. Auburn came very close to 2nd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Incremental improvements and this team will make another run to the final four for sure. 

We struggled a bit on beam and had to keep a lower score.  That has been one of our best events with roughly the same lineup.  I can see that being stronger.  Suni getting the 10 limited damage there.  Being good on beam is like having a good kicker in football.  For those that don't have one, you worry about any close situation. 

• Like 1

Also note that some of our additions this year are known to be strong on vault and they weren't in the rotation for this event due to competition.  Graba wanted a competing lineup it seems with all upperclassmen. Bet we see a good bit of them early in season.  

• Like 1

Florida this week will be an excellent meet…look forward to seeing our ladies compete….

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I missed the event because I was travelling internationally (also missed the Auburn/Arkansas basketball game, grrr)...

I watched some highlight videos on YT. I like Derrian's new floor routine.

Someone mentioned on another board that Sophia is injured but it seems like she competed...(?)

Edited by AUreo

Auburn has a great road score to to kick off the season. I only see scores going up. Graba does a great job of pacing the team and not peaking too early. Stamina will improve, the gymnast will start eventually incorporating more difficult skills. Super excited to see how the season goes!! Heard that Sophia has an injured rib. Hopefully she can get some rest early in the season and come back strong.

2 hours ago, AUreo said:

Unfortunately, I missed the event because I was travelling internationally (also missed the Auburn/Arkansas basketball game, grrr)...

I watched some highlight videos on YT. I like Derrian's new floor routine.

Someone mentioned on another board that Sophia is injured but it seems like she competed...(?)

She competed and did solid. Her Beam routine is good.  I bet she gets a 10 somewhere this year.

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

MEET DAY PREVIEW

#5 AUBURN AT #2 FLORIDA

FRI JAN. 13 | 7:30 P.M. | ESPN2

https://collegegymnews.com/2023/01/12/the-mount-week-2-4

Why You Should Cancel Plans for It: It may only be Week 2, but this is poised to be one of the most exciting and competitive meets of the entire season. Last year’s match-up ended in a tie at 198.575, and both teams are coming in hot after posting respective program-record opening meet scores in Week 1. Even if the team competition somehow doesn’t live up to the hype, it’ll be worth tuning in for what is likely to be one of the last opportunities to see Trinity Thomas and Sunisa Lee go head-to-head.

What We’re Watching: Thomas and Lee currently share the top spot on the national beam rankings after scoring the first two perfect 10s of the season, and we can’t think of a better way to break the tie than this dual.

What Else to Know Before Tuning in: It’s been nearly two decades since Auburn beat Florida outright and nearly three since it’s done it on the road. The Tigers will need to press their advantage on vault if they hope to upset the Gators on their home turf.

Edited by AUreo

Interestingly said "press the advantage on vault." LOL.  That has been our Achilles in the past.  I imagine we will have high start values again for this meet.  Almost feels like the slow burn last year was all a prep for this year.  Could be.  No reason to start lower if we were getting full 10 points on vault during Final 4 run.  Brought back a majority of last year team.   

Also beating Florida at their place might give us the respect to score well end of season. Honestly believe that hurt us in final 4 last year ... prestige.

• Like 1

Close after 1 rotation.  Auburn moving to Vault and Florida to bars

AU  49.25

FL  49.20