This is different now to me

cole256

I would think Deion probably wants to stay at an HBCU. GT is putting a full court press on him.

I agree that it’ll probably be Freeze (if he’s allowed by the SEC to come?).

Edited by AUwent

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sounds like he texted that person in defense of his leader. That was stupid. That is my opinion of it.  That is not going to change my mind that he could be a good head football coach.

Allegedly, he contacted her multiple times. That's harassment of a victim. Such actions damage the good name and reputation of the University that he is a representative of, and potentially put that institution in legal jeopardy.

Keep in mind that this was his "second chance" after his well documented previous indiscretions and failures. This makes him a non-starter for many of your fellow AU fans; however, I understand full well that there are plenty of fans like you that don't seem to care. So let me take a few moments to address you and those fans.

My premise: Hugh Freeze is being considered by some, and presented as a "can't miss"/"sure thing" hire. This is false. Freeze would be just as risky, if not more so, than many other names that have been brought up as potential replacements for Harsin.

The Freeze Mythos:
1. He's a great recruiter! He built up Ole Miss in a short period of time by quickly bringing in big time recruits!
2. He beat Alabama/Saban twice! 

The reality:
1. Hugh Freeze CHEATED to get the recruiting classes that he got at Ole Miss. With NIL, even if we wanted to, this tactic no longer applies. Hugh Freeze has no other track record recruiting in the SEC that would demonstrate strong recruiting prowess (see enumeration of his coaching experience, below). In other words, there is no way to say that if he were back as Ole Miss, he would be recruiting better than Lane Kiffen. He might be worse. There is simply no way to know.
2. Hugh Freeze's mentor as an offensive mastermind, Gus Malzhan, beat Alabama/Saban three times, including as recently as the year before he was fired by Auburn. We paid Gus $21 million to leave anyway. There is no "secret code" that only a few people have decoded to beat Saban: You either field a better team than him, or play better than his team on that particular day (perhaps with a bit of luck). If beating Saban is your only criteria, your logical next step would be to call for Gus to come back.

Hugh Freeze's Record as a Head Coach at the College level (based on wikipedia):
1. 2011: Arkansas State. 10-2. 
2. 2012 - 2016: Ole Miss. 39-25 on the field; 12-25 once the NCAA got done with him. Never won his division.
3. 2019 - Present: Liberty. 8-5 in 2019 and 2021, with an outlier of 10-1 in the Covid year of 2020.

There is nothing in the above record, when viewed objectively, that makes Hugh Freeze a "can't miss" choice. There is no way to know whether he would be a great recruiter in the current NIL environment. With equivalent talent, is his offense superior to Lane Kiffin's, Jeff Grimes, etc.? Not clear.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Do any of you know if Deion and Bo have any sort of friendship? Or even Carnell and Deion? Just thinking Bo has some pull and if they’re friends, it could help our odds with landing him. 
Having said that, if or when Harsin is let go from AU, the next coach will be someone that hasn’t even been mentioned by the press or on any forums concerning Auburn. 

33 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It’s not even just the product on the field. It’s the whole Auburn fans’/administration’s mindset. Look at all the people who clutched their pearls over the possibility of orange jerseys for the PSU game. The music in the stadium? Forget it. Our seasonal “mottos” and “themes” that wind up just being punchlines? “Get Hard” is the stupidest ******* thing I’ve ever seen us put out. 

Our social media has been the worst in the SEC, getting roasted on twitter

23 minutes ago, tsande07 said:

Allegedly, he contacted her multiple times. That's harassment of a victim. Such actions damage the good name and reputation of the University that he is a representative of, and potentially put that institution in legal jeopardy.

Keep in mind that this was his "second chance" after his well documented previous indiscretions and failures. This makes him a non-starter for many of your fellow AU fans; however, I understand full well that there are plenty of fans like you that don't seem to care. So let me take a few moments to address you and those fans.

My premise: Hugh Freeze is being considered by some, and presented as a "can't miss"/"sure thing" hire. This is false. Freeze would be just as risky, if not more so, than many other names that have been brought up as potential replacements for Harsin.

The Freeze Mythos:
1. He's a great recruiter! He built up Ole Miss in a short period of time by quickly bringing in big time recruits!
2. He beat Alabama/Saban twice! 

The reality:
1. Hugh Freeze CHEATED to get the recruiting classes that he got at Ole Miss. With NIL, even if we wanted to, this tactic no longer applies. Hugh Freeze has no other track record recruiting in the SEC that would demonstrate strong recruiting prowess (see enumeration of his coaching experience, below). In other words, there is no way to say that if he were back as Ole Miss, he would be recruiting better than Lane Kiffen. He might be worse. There is simply no way to know.
2. Hugh Freeze's mentor as an offensive mastermind, Gus Malzhan, beat Alabama/Saban three times, including as recently as the year before he was fired by Auburn. We paid Gus $21 million to leave anyway. There is no "secret code" that only a few people have decoded to beat Saban: You either field a better team than him, or play better than his team on that particular day (perhaps with a bit of luck). If beating Saban is your only criteria, your logical next step would be to call for Gus to come back.

Hugh Freeze's Record as a Head Coach at the College level (based on wikipedia):
1. 2011: Arkansas State. 10-2. 
2. 2012 - 2016: Ole Miss. 39-25 on the field; 12-25 once the NCAA got done with him. Never won his division.
3. 2019 - Present: Liberty. 8-5 in 2019 and 2021, with an outlier of 10-1 in the Covid year of 2020.

There is nothing in the above record, when viewed objectively, that makes Hugh Freeze a "can't miss" choice. There is no way to know whether he would be a great recruiter in the current NIL environment. With equivalent talent, is his offense superior to Lane Kiffin's, Jeff Grimes, etc.? Not clear.

All this is why I would rather have Dell than him.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, autiger88 said:

Well yeah it's Jimbo and NS anybody that's not in that club will get looked at unfortunately. That's another reason why I think Deion would be an excellent hire he would be able to get away with a few things. Just IMO. Especially with NIL on top of that. 

Would McGlynn let him get away with a few things? 

18 minutes ago, Jabo said:

Do any of you know if Deion and Bo have any sort of friendship? Or even Carnell and Deion? Just thinking Bo has some pull and if they’re friends, it could help our odds with landing him. 
Having said that, if or when Harsin is let go from AU, the next coach will be someone that hasn’t even been mentioned by the press or on any forums concerning Auburn. 

Let me call Bo real quick and ask

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Jabo said:

Yes they do. On an NFL films show Deion was laughing at how Bo stiff armed him and pretty much palmed his face.

• Love 1

I agree the talent is depleted.

However, I am not sold Sander's success at a subset of the FCS will translate to a superset of the Power 5 FBS.

Also, I do firmly believe if Auburn hired Sanders he would immediately be released by Aflac as a spokesperson.

Aflac has Saban because Saban represents something unique in the FBS. Saban has Sanders because Sanders represents something unique in the FCS. Sanders in the FBS is not unique.

Sanders at Auburn turns the Saban/Sanders schtick into a local Alabama schtick. It has no national appeal.

Now, could Auburn structure a contract where Sanders continued employment by Aflac was part of his compensation? Yes, they could. You get $7.5M per year as long as Aflac has you as a spokesperson. If Aflac dumps you, it drops to $5.0M.

Would Sanders sign that? No.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jabo said:

Hard to say. Whatever you think of him, Gus was definitely on people’s radars

22 minutes ago, Jabo said:

As high level college players, as former NFL players, and two of the only successful dual-sports players in recent history, of course they probably are friendly.

But that does not make Deion another Bo. They are very different. Deion played PROFESSIONAL minor league baseball at the same time he was playing collegiate football because FSU was independent, and had no rules. Bo, meanwhile lost his eligibility to play COLLEGE baseball because he took a paid flight by the Tampa Bay Bucs to fly to Tampa to take a physical prior to the NFL draft because the SOUTHEASERN CONFERENCE RULES at the time considered taking any benefit from ANY SPORT ended amateur status in ALL SEC SPORTS. This was an intentional effort by Ray Perkins to take baseball off the table for Bo. It backfired badly.

Neon Deion got it all. Bo had it all taken away. I am not saying Bo would veto Sanders, but I am saying there are not more two diametrically different cases in the history of college athletics.

• Like 1

Auburn has a talent and recruiting problem.

Also, water is wet.

This does not mean only Deion can save Auburn.

It just means we need a big picture, solid recruiter as a coach.

The same argument could be used for Aranda.

3 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

We need someone who can be a game changer. Deion could bring that. Immediate attention to the program, I believe he’d be a hell of a recruiter. I don’t know how he will actually do as an SEC head coach. Could end up being a great decision or an absolutely terrible decision. Don’t have much to lose at this point.

I am more impressed with Deion's traditional coaching ability (staff, etc.) than his recruiting because his recruiting is an outlier that has zero comparisons (without going back 30 years to Eddie Robinson at Grambling).

That said, Sanders recruiting is an outlier.

We can make a decision on an outlier, but we have done that for the last three hires.

I would rather not make a decision on an outlier.

We have no idea if Sanders success in recruiting translates to the Power 5 and the SEC. If Sanders had experience as an SEC assistant prior to his current FCS HC job, we would have something to triangulate on.

But we do not.

3 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Not at all, but didn’t Kirby want more control a la Saban and he wasn’t going to get that at AU. Nobody has since Dye. 

Honestly, Dye did not have "control". What he had was a good relationship with the man who had "control". That was Bobby Lowder. When Lowder soured on Dye, Dye was gone.

9 minutes ago, meh130 said:

But that does not make Deion another Bo.

I am so confused as to why you went into this when the question was "Does Deion know Bo?" Lol

not sure if mentioned in this thread but did anyone see the reports that Sanders flew in to Auburn the other day?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flywareagle.com/2022/09/24/auburn-football-deion-sanders-flight/amp/

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

I agree the talent is depleted.

However, I am not sold Sander's success at a subset of the FCS will translate to a superset of the Power 5 FBS.

Also, I do firmly believe if Auburn hired Sanders he would immediately be released by Aflac as a spokesperson.

Aflac has Saban because Saban represents something unique in the FBS. Saban has Sanders because Sanders represents something unique in the FCS. Sanders in the FBS is not unique.

Sanders at Auburn turns the Saban/Sanders schtick into a local Alabama schtick. It has no national appeal.

Now, could Auburn structure a contract where Sanders continued employment by Aflac was part of his compensation? Yes, they could. You get $7.5M per year as long as Aflac has you as a spokesperson. If Aflac dumps you, it drops to $5.0M.

Would Sanders sign that? No.

Streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch at best

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yes they do. On an NFL films show Deion was laughing at how Bo stiff armed him and pretty much palmed his face.

Edited by WVR
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

not sure if mentioned in this thread but did anyone see the reports that Sanders flew in to Auburn the other day?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/flywareagle.com/2022/09/24/auburn-football-deion-sanders-flight/amp/

he was not confirmed to be on board

1 minute ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

oh come on! just "tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies" 

jussayin😉

Edited by Didba