Softball Games of 9/25/22

Auburn leading Pensacola State 5-0 after 3 innings.  Emmah Rolfe pitching, Widra and Milanowski also started  Widra had a double in the first.  Rofe with 5 Ks after 3.  This from Twitter.  No lineup provided.

Score still 5-0 after 6 innings.  Tresvik in the circle, gave up a walk and a hit but no runs.  Rolfe had walked the first batter she faced, then no more baserunners during her 5 innings.

Edit:  Final Score was 6-0.  Twitter said "several new Tigers were key contributors."

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Thanks 1

Tresvik hit a solo homer, Auburn up 1-0 after 4.  Penta with 9Ks.  Bryant and Lowe not dressed out.  Elkins wearing the gear, so assume she's catching.  Saw Garcia putting a helmet on, so she's in the lineup.

Edit:  Annabelle Widra pitched the 5th, it's still 1-0.

Edit:  Lead goes up to 3-0 in middle 6th on hits by Widra and Garcia, and a sac fly by Tresvik.

FINAL:  3-0.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Thanks 2

Attended the games and may have more to say later but in brief....Impressed with Widra's pitching in those last 3 innings as well as her double at the plate.  Skyler Elkins catching looked good and Rolfe pitching  also.  UAB looked like they will win plenty of games this year.  MCCondichie had a highlight catch in the UAB game I believe in 6th inning laying out and snagging a line drive up the middle that she had to leap up to secure.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just some random recall of the games vs Pensacola State and UAB this weekend.  First off, I was surprised that they have added an upper deck at Mary Bowers Field at UAB increasing the capacity to just over 1,000.  My wife and I were able to get in the lower level which has chair back seats as opposed to bench seats in the upper deck.  As we were walking by the AU bull pen prior to the Pensacola game, I thought Penta was warming up but it was Emmah Rolfe.  She is listed as 5’10” (4” shorter than Penta) but has similar build and hair and was throwing hard.  She had a good 4 innings.  The seats face west so the first game at 3:30 was hot from a fan perspective and no refreshments for sale.  When the UAB game started at 6PM the sun was disappearing and it was pleasant.  

For the UAB game we started Ellis at 1st, MCCondichie at 2nd, Peralta at SS, and Axe Milanowske at 3rd.  There was very little substitution of our middle infielders and the outfield was for the most part “stable” with Garcia in left, Packer in center and Smith in right.  Maia Engelkes seemed to get a fair amount of time at 1st.  I know that McCray, the Tennessee transfer played some at 3rd for a couple of innings.  Cox also saw time at 3rd. 

Something I thought of interest was involvement of our pitchers at the plate which has been rare in recent past.  Both Widar and Tresvik made important contributions in that role.  I did not feel excited about the Tresvik transfer from North Carolina A&T since it is a small school and had a very poor record last year and she was their leading hitter.  Hopefully, she will continue to make me look foolish.  Widra, of course is Michigan transfer and is very athletic.  She is from Hoover, AL, Played at Spain Park and with the Bolts travel team.  Also ran track in HS.  Her base speed was pretty obvious. 

I continue to be impressed with McCondichie.  She has been one of my favorites since last year.  She just seems to “get it done” in so many areas of the game without a lot of fanfare.

No doubt I have left out participation by a lot of players.  I don’t recall if Millie Roberts played but I know all the other catchers were inserted at different times.

Lastly, as I stated earlier, I believe UAB is going to be a good team this year.  They seemed to know what they were doing in all phases.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

What is the status of the young girl who played second last season and suffered a knee injury?????

Denver Bryant is not dressed out for fall ball.  She should be cleared in time for practice next season.  Last I saw she was ahead of schedule as far as rehab/recovery was concerned. Somewhat the same for Shelby Lowe after her arm procedure.

from Phillip Marshall August 25th article

INJURY REPORT

The injury news is good for Auburn. Left-handed pitcher Shelby Lowe, plagued by forearm soreness all of last season, underwent a procedure after the season. Dean said she is experiencing no pain. Infielder Denver Bryant, who suffered a torn ACL against Kentucky and missed the rest of last season, is recovering well.

“The only two still rehabbing are Shelby and Denver,” Dean said. “We probably won’t have Shelby throwing windmill until probably mid-October. Denver will be able to do some things, but she won’t be fully game-ready until January. It looks good. She has great mobility. It’s just a matter of getting the work and the progress we can make this fall.”

Edited by slot canyon
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the extra details.  I had thought it seemed we were playing a lot of frosh and transfers, either to see what they could do, or because they were good enough.  the highlights (other than Penta's pitching) mentioned Widra, Milanowski, Tresvik, Rolfe and Garcia (3 hits).  I was surprised to see no mention of Ellis, Peralta, or McCondichie.  I believe Packer was noted for a hit or sac fly.  I'm encouraged by what I've read so far.

I saw Tresvik play at Auburn last year in an early season tourney. She was impressive from the mound and the box. After Penta, Tresvik was the next best pitcher in the tourney. Can throw upwards of 70+ and one of her HR's in the tourney was against Auburn. I'm glad she is now at Auburn. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 6:41 PM, OlderWhiskey said:

Thanks for the extra details.  I had thought it seemed we were playing a lot of frosh and transfers, either to see what they could do, or because they were good enough.  the highlights (other than Penta's pitching) mentioned Widra, Milanowski, Tresvik, Rolfe and Garcia (3 hits).  I was surprised to see no mention of Ellis, Peralta, or McCondichie.  I believe Packer was noted for a hit or sac fly.  I'm encouraged by what I've read so far.

There did not appear to be any substitution rules for these games and I seemed players could be inserted at will without checking with umpire.  Ellis did not play in game one.  I think she came to bat only 3 times vs UAB.  Recall she hit a long ball foul down left field line, had infield pop up and other do not recall.  Remember that McCondichie beat out a bunt for a single.  Peralta I believe had a SO and pop up that I remember.  Sometimes amazing how much of the game can become a blur; especially as one ages.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:26 PM, wmsau said:

I saw Tresvik play at Auburn last year in an early season tourney. She was impressive from the mound and the box. After Penta, Tresvik was the next best pitcher in the tourney. Can throw upwards of 70+ and one of her HR's in the tourney was against Auburn. I'm glad she is now at Auburn. 

I did not get the impression she was throwing near 70 last Sunday but my eyeballs are not a substitute for a radar gun.  You can see her HR from her Twitter page.

• Thanks 1