For all the Coach Prime fans …

RunInRed

26 minutes ago, Didba said:

Hold up... ONLY 5.3% OF AUBURN's STUDENT BODY is AfricanA/Black???? My god man

Auburn is trying to change that but they have to want to be here as well. It’s slowly getting better. 

• Like 1

1 big problem Auburn has that Alabama USED TO have is that people assume money = influence. The programs that have gotten past this mindset now understand that money = access, not influence. You can be appreciated and even publicly celebrated for your contributions without having overwhelming influence in something you don't know at a high level. I doubt the Neville family is itching to put in their 2 cents on our basketball rotation yet everyone interested in Auburn basketball from now on will know their name and know that they made a massive impact on something they cared about.

• Love 1

Looks like I am going to have to give up the grudge I’ve held since the ‘89 Sugar Bowl interception.  Should have been AU ball at the 2 when Dedrick Dodge hit Freddy Weygan way early. Deion intercepted and the rest is history.

I do think we have to have a coach who can go into a living room and compete with Saban.   Not necessarily win them all, but win some.  I think Deion can do that. Count me in.

Edited by WVR
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, WVR said:

Looks like I am going to have to give up the grudge I’ve held since the ‘89 Sugar Bowl interception.  Should have been AU ball at the 2 when Dedrick Dodge hit Freddy Weygan way early. Deion intercepted and the rest is history.

I do think we have to have a coach who can go into a living room and compete with Saban.   Not necessarily win them all, but win some.  I think Deion can do that. Count me in.

I see him as the kind of coach that high school players HOPE comes for a visit. I've said it before but I'll say it again: Deion Sanders is one of a handful of coaches that could walk in to a recruits house with Saban and Kirby and he be the focus.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Auburn is trying to change that but they have to want to be here as well. It’s slowly getting better. 

I’m on the Dion train, with that said I am sure I’ll be roasted up one side and down the other for this but according to the latest census results 12.7% of the US population is African-American. How many of the 12.7% are college age and attending a university? When you consider those statistics Auburn ‘s percentage isn’t bad at all.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WVR said:

It's ok...we still have this...

AnchoredEntireDevilfish-max-1mb.gif

• Love 2

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Sanders Vs Grimes. That is quite the spectrum.

And I'd be good with both for different reasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU-24 said:

I’m on the Dion train, with that said I am sure I’ll be roasted up one side and down the other for this but according to the latest census results 12.7% of the US population is African-American. How many of the 12.7% are college age and attending a university? When you consider those statistics Auburn ‘s percentage isn’t bad at all.

Huh, looked up Alabama and its only 26%, thought it would be higher

1 hour ago, Viper said:

It's ok...we still have this...

AnchoredEntireDevilfish-max-1mb.gif

Deion has talked about this play about 1 million times on different TV and radio sports shows and he tells it PERFECT!!! He says "We were at Auburn my freshman year. Auburn had Bo and Fullwood in the backfield, probably the greatest backfield in college history. Bo motioned with his arms for the crowd to get up and get loud. Then Bo got a pitch from QB on a sweep. Bo hit the hole and I mean HIT IT!! He was gone. I come from the other side of the field because, as everyone knows, I COULD FLY!!! I get to Bo and try to tackle him. He is running and put the ball in his left hand and then, with his right hand, he puts his hand on my helmet AS IF HE WAS PRAYING FOR ME!!! He threw me to the ground and ran for the touchdown." 

I love Deion and especially how he can paint the picture for the listener. Go to YouTube and type in Deion tells Bo Jackson story on The Dan Patrick Show. 

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Didba said:

Huh, looked up Alabama and its only 26%, thought it would be higher

I was looking at nationwide statistics. It’s anywhere from 12.7% to 13.7%.

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I was looking at nationwide statistics. It’s anywhere from 12.7% to 13.7%.

I know. I wasn’t disputing you. I was adding on. 

26 minutes ago, Didba said:

I know. I wasn’t disputing you. I was adding on. 

Thanks bro! I hope folks don’t take it the wrong way. All that aside, as I don’t want to get political, I think with Dion as head coach, we get a minimum and I mean a minimum of 3 to 4 five star athletes per class. And I think he could drain the portal and probably get 70% to 80% of who he wanted. (Out of the portal)

With all that said, if we get Freeze I certainly would not shed a tear. I think it would just take Freeze longer to get a roster up to championship caliber compared to Dion. Freeze does have more SEC experience, so either could work out I guess but Dion is instant recruiting success! 

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, autigeremt said:

It was only about 3-4% when I was there in the early 80s. In fact, the numbers have declined in recent years. This is not the right forum to discuss sociologically, but athletically I have to believe it would help recruiting to improve in this area. Deion has the type of persona to move those numbers. 

Edited by Gowebb11

On 9/25/2022 at 8:15 PM, WarTiger said:

would be the biggest mistake in the history of Auburn football (and that says a lot given what we have now)

And just how?  I appreciate your thoughts as to why he would be the biggest mistake "in the history of Auburn football"

What you leave me with smacks of something else

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 10:17 PM, AU-24 said:

I’m surprised how many people don’t know. 

He had a huge conversion and readily talks about the before and after. Emmitt Smith played a huge role in leading Deion to Christ.  I've heard Deion preach at Churches and FCA events 7-8 times.  

He would be a VERY good role model, teacher, father, and coach to our players. He is my 2nd choice. Just like Bruce and all those fans that,  "didn't want to hire a cheater", Deion would win over the fan base quickly, IMO.  He would bring a sense of pride back.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, DAG said:

Sanders Vs Grimes. That is quite the spectrum.

Is it though? Like most of us, they probably have more in common than they differ.

Great recruiters 

Very personable 

Both can read a room and pivot accordingly 

Great understanding of the game 

Great understanding of how to treat people 

Playing experience 

Coaching experience 

And obviously, most importantly, they both have spent a lot of time in Texas.

There are a lot of similarities, professionally.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Is it though? Like most of us, they probably have more in common than they differ.

Great recruiters 

Very personable 

Playing experience 

Coaching experience 

I’m not talking professionally. Realistically , as good as grimes resume is, no one really would be checking for him , we just know him. I don’t know if he truly is on anyone’s short list besides ours. I think @W.E.D mentioned this. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t succeed here.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Great recruiters 

Very personable 

Playing experience 

Coaching experience 

4F2BE6C0-382E-4016-97AD-08353651C933.gif

• Haha 2

i am going to go out on a limb here and say i think many fans will think sanders will be a joke as he is always cutting up,etc. sanders attempted suicide a while back and surviving changed him. he wants the kids to be the best that they can be. he wants to mentor them. he was accused of assaulting a school staffer in 2015 and he was fired for it. he has always denied this. i am not trying to attack sanders at all but would the assault not raise eyebrows? personally i think he might load us up with talent if we got him. he might be a great coach and good enough to get a smoking staff and lead us back on top. shrugs

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Yeah, but facts aren't important. In fact, they're actually very offensive at times. What's important is being morally right. Critical thinking is dangerous thing.

• Facepalm 2

31 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He had a huge conversion and readily talks about the before and after. Emmitt Smith played a huge role in leading Deion to Christ.  I've heard Deion preach at Churches and FCA events 7-8 times.  

He would be a VERY good role model, teacher, father, and coach to our players. He is my 2nd choice. Just like Bruce and all those fans that,  "didn't want to hire a cheater", Deion would win over the fan base quickly, IMO.  He would bring a sense of pride back.

That's his greatest quality. I'm actually warming up to Deion. I still want Fickell, but Deion could work. I hope we hire an AD that's not a fraud and will actually intensely interview Deion and listen to his plan. Or Grimes or anyone else for that matter. Could be the most important hire in school history.

• Like 2