For all the Coach Prime fans …

RunInRed

There’s nothing subtle about this hire. Bama and uga are dominant - at the same time (a unique recruiting problem for us), Texas and Oklahoma are coming, the NIL favors the schools with the deepest pockets, and we’re a bad trend - running amok self-destructing.

It’s a big hire. Again, traditional thinking won’t work.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’m not talking professionally. Realistically , as good as grimes resume is, no one really would be checking for him , we just know him. I don’t know if he truly is on anyone’s short list besides ours. I think @W.E.D mentioned this. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t succeed here.

Taking Donor insider comments to the public board. Let this be your first strike!!

But yeah, getting a lot of heat for that and it's true.  We have a really bad tendency of going after the familiar face.  Doesn't mean he can't be good, he's just not going to be a splash hire.

My main issue with a non-splash hire is it'll take a lot longer to get up and going.  If we can hire someone the week after the IB, we still have 3 weeks until NSD.  Getting someone who needs to be introduced to every HS kid vs these HS kids already knowing the name will have us behind the 8-ball.  Same goes for the portal.  We have legit 5 easy cake walk wins next year, we just need a touch of talent to get over the hump and scratch out 8 wins and have our 1st HC start off strong.

This doesn't have to be Deion.  As much as I love his recruiting & name, his coaching resume/being able to handle a top program scares me equally. There are pros and cons to all of these guys.  I try to point them out fairly.  It's such an absolutely huge hire that we have to get right.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

There’s nothing subtle about this hire. Bama and uga are dominant - at the same time (a unique recruiting problem for us), Texas and Oklahoma are coming, the NIL favors the schools with the deepest pockets, and we’re a bad trend - running amok self-destructing.

It’s a big hire. Again, traditionally thinking won’t work.

I'm not an NIL expert but you don't need to be an Ohio State to win at NIL. Auburn' NIL should offer 75K for every OL that signs. With the money that flies around this school that should seem like a drop in the bucket.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Taking Donor insider comments to the public board. Let this be your first strike!!

But yeah, getting a lot of heat for that and it's true.  We have a really bad tendency of going after the familiar face.  Doesn't mean he can't be good, he's just not going to be a splash hire.

My main issue with a non-splash hire is it'll take a lot longer to get up and going.  If we can hire someone the week after the IB, we still have 3 weeks until NSD.  Getting someone who needs to be introduced to every HS kid vs these HS kids already knowing the name will have us behind the 8-ball.  Same goes for the portal.  We have legit 5 easy cake walk wins next year, we just need a touch of talent to get over the hump and scratch out 8 wins and have our 1st HC start off strong.

This doesn't have to be Deion.  As much as I love his recruiting & name, his coaching resume/being able to handle a top program scares me equally. There are pros and cons to all of these guys.  I try to point them out fairly.  It's such an absolutely huge hire that we have to get right.

Hey I never said anywhere in my post about where I seen the info bahaha 

but yeah I would agree Deion would be high risk / high reward.

I actually would consider Grimes low risk/potentially high reward 

• Like 2

It looks like GA Tech is going after Sanders so this may be a moot point.  I actually think it would be a great hire for Tech personally.  Right in the heart of Atlanta going up against Smart for the in-state talent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It looks like GA Tech is going after Sanders so this may be a moot point.  I actually think it would be a great hire for Tech personally.  Right in the heart of Atlanta going up against Smart for the in-state talent.

That would be one of the dumbest things if we let Georgia Tech get sanders 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Cover 3 podcast made a great point about schools like Tech, UVA, Stanford, etc with academic restrictions. It's a lot harder to get and KEEP talent with the portal nowadays. Deion would make a major splash with top recruits, but they have academic standards that you don't have at Alabama or Georgia.

Tech would have to guarantee any coach that they will give them X number of players every year.

I would bet in a 5-year span that Deion would win more at Auburn or Arizona State than at Georgia Tech. 

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hey I never said anywhere in my post about where I seen the info bahaha 

but yeah I would agree Deion would be high risk / high reward.

I actually would consider Grimes low risk/potentially high reward 

I agree with that.  I think Grimes floor is probably pretty high.  I don't see him being a disaster.  I can see Deion being amazing, but also equally burning up in flames.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

IMO increases the odds we go after him.  Been our culture forever.

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Literally nothing is going to happen until December.  We're not behind, no coach is going to come to an agreement with an new school.

If you like some average looking chick and say high to her one time, are you going to turn down a super model b/c she said high to you aver the beat looking girl?  No.  Deion would jump to us in an instant over a resource restricted school like Ga Tech

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

If you like some average looking chick and say high to her one time, are you going to turn down a super model b/c she said high to you aver the beat looking girl?  No.  Deion would jump to us in an instant over a resource restricted school like Ga Tech

It depends.  How much money does the average looking girl have?  Trust fund?  These are important questions in finding true love.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Might be comparable to Penny @ Memphis, immmediate world class signings then growing pains to learn that college coaching at a tier l level aint like anything else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Might be comparable to Penny @ Memphis, immmediate world class signings then growing pains to learn that college coaching at a tier l level aint like anything else.

Only problem about that is penny literally had no collegiate coaching experience . He had high school coaching experience and his alma mater gave him a chance. 

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Thanks bro! I hope folks don’t take it the wrong way. All that aside, as I don’t want to get political, I think with Dion as head coach, we get a minimum and I mean a minimum of 3 to 4 five star athletes per class. And I think he could drain the portal and probably get 70% to 80% of who he wanted. (Out of the portal)

With all that said, if we get Freeze I certainly would not shed a tear. I think it would just take Freeze longer to get a roster up to championship caliber compared to Dion. Freeze does have more SEC experience, so either could work out I guess but Dion is instant recruiting success! 

Freeze has questionable decision making unfortunately 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i am going to go out on a limb here and say i think many fans will think sanders will be a joke as he is always cutting up,etc. sanders attempted suicide a while back and surviving changed him. he wants the kids to be the best that they can be. he wants to mentor them. he was accused of assaulting a school staffer in 2015 and he was fired for it. he has always denied this. i am not trying to attack sanders at all but would the assault not raise eyebrows? personally i think he might load us up with talent if we got him. he might be a great coach and good enough to get a smoking staff and lead us back on top. shrugs

Innocent until proven guilty unless there are strings of Venmo payments… 

/s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I'm not an NIL expert but you don't need to be an Ohio State to win at NIL. Auburn' NIL should offer 75K for every OL that signs. With the money that flies around this school that should seem like a drop in the bucket.

I think you underestimate how wealthy the oil and gas schools are with their donor base 

33 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Even tho it is ATL, I cannot see Prime choosing Tech over AU due to their high Academic standards. 

7 minutes ago, Didba said:

I think you underestimate how wealthy the oil and gas schools are with their donor base 

Like Texas, Texas A&M, and OU? 3 combined titles in 40 years.

We have the same amount of NC's as Texas and OU in the past 25 years. We'd have more if 2004 worked out for us.

You sound like every talking head in CFB media since TAMU joined the SEC. "A&M has the resources to really compete, etc." I can't think of another program in CFB that is so over hyped when it comes to potential. I don't care how much money they have. The data says they do nothing with it.

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, woodford said:

We have the same amount of NC's as Texas and OU in the past 25 years. We'd have more if 2004 worked out for us.

You sound like every talking head in CFB media since TAMU joined the SEC. "A&M has the resources to really compete, etc." I can't think of another program in CFB that is so over hyped when it comes to potential. I don't care how much money they have. The data says they do nothing with it.

Unfortunately the data says the same for us. They’re 5-5 vs us since joining the SEC. 

15 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Unfortunately the data says the same for us. They’re 5-5 vs us since joining the SEC. 

Auburn has won the West twice since they joined. We have an SEC title and BCS title berth since that same time too. TAMU has done fine. But they've wasted a ton of talent. We've done the same, btw.

• Like 2

It baffles me how some AU fans want to fire a HC who's clearly over his head and didn't have the resume, only go hire another even more inexperienced coach. I LOVE Deion! I really do but our next hire is way too important to take a risk on him. If we get the next hire wrong...we're Tennessee part 2 and become a basketball school FOR REAL! Go get Hugh or Lane and let's move the heck on! I wish Deion the best but his first major gig should not be at Auburn. 

Edited by WarEagle1983
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Only problem about that is penny literally had no collegiate coaching experience . He had high school coaching experience and his alma mater gave him a chance. 

And penny just recently took gonzaga to the brink in the tournament. Before him Memphis had become a bottom feeder. I find it interesting when people try to use him in the negative

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, woodford said:

We weren't talking about any of that, lmao, nice goalposts replant, you were speaking to NIL and recruiting which is a money game, they have us easily beat on the amount of money they can spend on NIL.  Kinda dumb for you to be talking about NIL, money and recruiting and the go "I don't care about how much money they have".

I agree with you on them not doing shiz with it, though. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It baffles me how some AU fans want to fire a HC who's clearly over his head and didn't have the resume, only go hire another even more inexperienced coach. I LOVE Deion! I really do but our next hire is way too important to take a risk on him. If we get the next hire wrong...we're Tennessee part 2 and become a basketball school FOR REAL! Go get Hugh or Lane and let's move the heck on! I wish Deion the best but his first major gig should not be at Auburn. 

It baffles me how you think Hugh or Lane would be better than Deion. Explain how Deion is clearly over his head at his current school as your post implies.

Lane is terrible at recruiting right now, and has terrible in game decision making.  Ole Miss recruiting class is worse than Auburn's right now.

Freeze has poor real life decision making skills and an idiot. He may be a good coach but his recruiting prowess was supplanted by cheating before NIL, and even recently has shown to still think he can get away with extremely immoral actions when he texted that sexual assault victim suing the school and screwed up the settlement the school was negotiating.  He is someone who can have a lawyer/school admin tell him "dude do not do XYZ" and then he turns around and does XYZ.

Freeze is ultimate JABA, Gus 2.0 but with worse character and Kiffin well is Kiffin.

• Like 2