Harsin's Recruits

kennypowers

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I didn't get to "watch" the game just listen so how did Holden look when he came in?

Like a true freshman playing behind a Swiss cheese oline. Scared and thinking way too much

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, maryland tiger said:

You people do realize that Robby is a redshirt freshman with no previous starting experience??? He will get better and he is a real "Dog". Hopefully the play calling highlights his strengths. 

The defense was excellent on Saturday and I look for more of that as the season progresses. The offense has to help them out though.

Brenden Coffey should be starting in place of Troxell. Stutts should be more to left guard and Jones should be starting left guard. Jalil Irvin is a better option at center because he is bigger and stronger. 

The defense was not excellent. Linebackers played very bad. Dline struggled to contain at points during the game. Defense was above average at best. Probably more to do with Mizzou being absolutely trash on offense like us. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Huh? I saw Mizzou lose that game 3 different times, but I never saw Auburn beat them. 

Facts 

There is not enough lipstick in the world to make this pig look pretty. Koy did make some good plays. Ashford runs hard. If Tank has even the smallest of creases he can do some damage. On Defense Hall is good, Leota can make some plays, and a couple of the DBs are pretty good but we don't do a great job of getting our heads around. That may be a coaching deal....never sure there. But man all in all its not a great product. OL is so bad. We don't have a true QB. DL gets blown off the ball. LBs aren't in the right spot (DL issues contribute here i'm sure). I'm expecting something like a 20pt loss to LSU next week. How Mizzou does not win that game by 2 touchdowns i'll never know. 

I don't want to go around a poo poo on all the threads that are trying to look for some good. But i just don't see how its possible the team has regressed this much since last season. We were competitive last year and flirting with being a good team. And now we are a train wreck. Harsin may be a good coach but NOTHING he has done since arriving at AU has been good. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Didba said:

Like a true freshman playing behind a Swiss cheese oline. Scared and thinking way too much

Yep. An impossible situation. Pretty sure Holden's first play was a brilliant jet sweep to Shenker. Which of course lost yards. So he is immediately handed 2nd and 15. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

The defense was not excellent. Linebackers played very bad. Dline struggled to contain at points during the game. Defense was above average at best. Probably more to do with Mizzou being absolutely trash on offense like us. 

The number of times I yelled, "set the freaking edge" last Saturday was impressive. 

There is definitely an issue at LB. I'm not sure if it's a talent or coaching thing or a combination, but simple gap exchanges get messed up, we chase under blocks and when we don't, we either run ourselves out of the play or get swallowed and put in skates. There is little consistency or improvement. IMO, our DT and LB coaching and has taken a major step back.

Then again, just like on the back end, a LB can make a DT/DE look great or really awful. It's tough to tell who messed up at times and almost impossible without the play call

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No. He failed in getting adequate offensive linemen here. I don’t care if they are JUCO dudes, you get new people in here. These guys have not gotten better in years. Shouldn’t expect any different . That is a massive abject failure by the staff. He is cooked. He is done. I like the guy. This isn’t the mode for him or his staff. Let’s stop being like Jeff Dahmer’s papa and quit with the caretaking ( yes I did watch that Netflix series).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Other than tank and shenk... all Harsin's guys that signed, freshman mostly, beat an SEC team.  Defensive side the vets gave them what they needed.  All new guys touching the ball and getting the W.  Bright side?  I think he's the right coach.  I just don't think he'll get the time to show it.  

Other than the QBs, the offense is mostly Gus' guys. Either way, it's nothing to get excited about. 

Here are some fun stats about the offense from Ferguson and Hokanson on Twitter:

Last 6 second halves against Power 5 teams:

0 points

6 points

3 points

3 points

6 points 

O points

Auburn has ZERO 3rd down conversions in the fourth quarter in the last four P5 games plus the Houston game. 0 for 16 on 3rd down in the fourth quarter in those 5 games. That is completely insane. 

This offense disappears in the 2nd half against real teams. Coaching?

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Didba said:

U being nice with the above average grade. I would give them average. Mizzou moved the ball more than I expected. The coach probably wished he punched it in versus playing for the field goal

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The number of times I yelled, "set the freaking edge" last Saturday was impressive. 

There is definitely an issue at LB. I'm not sure if it's a talent or coaching thing or a combination, but simple gap exchanges get messed up, we chase under blocks and when we don't, we either run ourselves out of the play or get swallowed and put in skates. There is little consistency or improvement. IMO, our DT and LB coaching and has taken a major step back.

Then again, just like on the back end, a LB can make a DT/DE look great or really awful. It's tough to tell who messed up at times 

Gap assignments were missed all game by our LBers

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Other than the QBs, the offense is mostly Gus' guys. Either way, it's nothing to get excited about. 

Here are some fun stats about the offense from Ferguson and Hokanson on Twitter:

Last 6 second halves against Power 5 teams:

0 points

6 points

3 points

3 points

6 points 

O points

Auburn has ZERO 3rd down conversions in the fourth quarter in the last four P5 games plus the Houston game. 0 for 16 on 3rd down in the fourth quarter in those 5 games. That is completely insane. 

This offense disappears in the 2nd half against real teams. Coaching?

That is... not ideal.

• Haha 1

Just now, Didba said:

Gap assignments were missed all game by our LBers

After game 1, Riley has regressed. And OP should rarely, if ever,  play MLB

• Like 2

Just now, bigbird said:

#0 has been a major disappointment. I thought he'd take the next step this year. Not so.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I wonder if Riley could play MLB? I agree OP should be in space where his speed is an asset. Steiner (#32) also does not look up to the task of playing the middle to my eyes. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I wonder if Riley could play MLB? I agree OP should be in space where his speed is an asset. Steiner (#32) also does not look up to the task of playing the middle to my eyes. 

As of now, Steiner is a faster Holland. Both just run into blockers, but Steiner gets there first.

I would've thought with his size he may have been given a look at MLB, but at ~6'4-5" it's hard to maintain your leverage discipline all game long 

• Like 1

I’m not worried about what OP said. Let’s  all revisit this thread in 3 weeks and see how many people still think “Harsin is the guy”. 

Absolutely ridiculous that someone can watch Auburn play these past 2 weeks and think we are on the right path. Jfc. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, woodford said:

So why in the world would you recruit this guy to transfer to Auburn? He's a tremendous athlete but doesn't seem to read the defense well at this point nor make plays with his arm. 

Because he is mobile enough not to die in the process?

I think his arm is good.  The problem is reading zone defense with little game experience.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

You should check the game stats before posting such as this. If you think scoring 14 points in regulation against one of the two weakest teams in the conference is a good showing you have strange thoughts.

All new guys touching the ball and getting the win? That's simply not true. As soon as Mizzou loaded the box and stopped Tank's running, Auburn stopped scoring. Scoreless the entire second half.

Didn't say it was a good showing.  Check yourself.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Other than tank and shenk... all Harsin's guys that signed, freshman mostly, beat an SEC team.  Defensive side the vets gave them what they needed.  All new guys touching the ball and getting the W.  Bright side?  I think he's the right coach.  I just don't think he'll get the time to show it.  

hillary-clinton-idgi.gif

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Then again, just like on the back end, a LB can make a DT/DE look great or really awful. It's tough to tell who messed up at times and almost impossible without the play call

Yes. Not sure what’s going on at LB but in one play I saw one of our play side lbs running across the field opposite the rest of the team that was flowing to the play. Incidentally he was the player that could have set the edge. He’ll see it in film study this week and go what the hell was I thinking. 

Given we have zero control over the situation, I'll choose to back Harsin.  As long as the players believe in him, I may as well.  Board is overrun by negativity.  Auburn fans...we think we're something special, but we're a disease at times.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

You people do realize that Robby is a redshirt freshman with no previous starting experience??? He will get better and he is a real "Dog". Hopefully the play calling highlights his strengths. 

He's in his 3rd year.  Just b/c covid gives back a year of eligibility doesn't mean it didn't actually happen.

Stutts should be more to left guard and Jones should be starting left guard.

That doesn't make sense.  Also Council was our highest rated starting IOL and typically is

Jalil Irvin is a better option at center because he is bigger and stronger. 

Irvin was by far our worst ranked OL last week.

36 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Given we have zero control over the situation, I'll choose to back Harsin.  As long as the players believe in him, I may as well.  Board is overrun by negativity.  Auburn fans...we think we're something special, but we're a disease at times.  

my dude trollin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1