What to do with the OL?

bigbird

They are who we thought they were...

dennis-green-theyare-whoe-we-thought-the 

You're the HC or OL coach.  How do you fix the issues?  

Personnel change? Who?

Different plays? Which?

Scheme? What do you adjust?

What do you do to fix our most glaring on field issue?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

They are who we thought they were...

dennis-green-theyare-whoe-we-thought-the 

You're the HC or OL coach.  How do you fix the issues?  

Personnel change? Who?

Different plays? Which?

Scheme? What do you adjust?

What do you do to fix our most glaring on field issue?

Bring in Paul Johnson for the short term 🤣

Basically the Gus special. Quick screens, misdirection and counters, RPO. Get Koy Moore and Tank in space and hope someone misses. 

I'm not sure we have enough experience at QB to pull it off well, regardless. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Shoot'em then get all your transfer guys from Texas

I’m no expert but I think this could cause some trouble with the NCAA or maybe the police

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, fredst said:

I’m no expert but I think this could cause some trouble with the NCAA or maybe the police

Good point.  Someone should look into this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

I could have it handled .....no problem...aka Jersey guys

• Love 1

We have to play small ball. Complete short, quick passes, utilize the screen game, and utilize the QB running the ball to keep the defense honest. 

It's all lipstick on the pig at this point, but it'll make things a little better. 

Disclaimer: I am an engineer and not a football coach, but these were my thoughts.

I noticed against PSU that our right tackle was having a very difficult time controlling the edge rusher on his side.

It looked to me that he was giving it his best but his feet just weren't quick enough, and the edge rusher was leaning his shoulder

against  him and using him as a pivot point to circle into our backfield. It occurred to me that maybe wider splits would have helped

our tackle control the rusher, but then that might create gap control problems, so maybe combine wider splits with slide blocking

while rolling the pocket to the slide side?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it a massive indictment of this staff that Tashawn Manning could barely get any playing time and has left to start for Kentucky??

I'd say yes

• Like 8

We need to scheme in more zone running out of the shotgun imo. We can’t just line up under center and bulldoze our way to victory. Our Oline aren’t those guys. And for gods sake, find another center. Maybe move Council to center? Doesn’t he have experience with that?

• Like 1

Not sure we can do too much.  Things mentioned above (quick hit stuff) on pass plays.  Rather than hand offs from under center (too slow), pitch to the running back and allow them a head of steam.  You could try the younger guys but I doubt they know the playbook enough to know how to carry out the blocks correctly on the called plays.  Too green/not enough experience.  I think we are going to have to limp to the end of the season and try to load up during the off season on transfer guys and JUCO's to totally replace the whole line.  That's all I got.  This year is just what it is.  Grin and bear it.

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Is it a massive indictment of this staff that Tashawn Manning could barely get any playing time and has left to start for Kentucky??

I'd say yes

He had been here for years 

20 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Disclaimer: I am an engineer and not a football coach, but these were my thoughts.

I noticed against PSU that our right tackle was having a very difficult time controlling the edge rusher on his side.

It looked to me that he was giving it his best but his feet just weren't quick enough, and the edge rusher was leaning his shoulder

against  him and using him as a pivot point to circle into our backfield. It occurred to me that maybe wider splits would have helped

our tackle control the rusher, but then that might create gap control problems, so maybe combine wider splits with slide blocking

Maybe you should look into coaching... good assessment!

24 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Good points!

Besides the previously suggested (in jest) mob hit, you have to keep it simple. Put them in the best possible position to succeed. Translation - the scheme you want to run has not and will not work with the current roster. You can’t change that. It is what it is. Asking them to execute something they can’t over and over again only makes the staff look worse (if possible).  A few pro bono suggestions that many have offered: 

1) Check the ego, 2) Spread the defense out, 3) Less tight ends, more receivers, 4) Help the QB get into rhythm with easy throws, 5) Have your RBs attack the perimeter until middle opens.  6) Embrace being the underdog and relish that freedom, 7) Have some dang fun and get creative

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1