What to do with the OL?

bigbird

I see other team’s getting the ball out of the QB’s hands with quick slants but I hardly ever see Auburn trying it.  Gus didn’t do it and Harsin doesn’t do it.  One thing is for dang sure what they are doing now isn’t working.  Roll him out more, try some screens, try the quick slants, try some misdirection, anything but continue trying to pass from a pocket that doesn’t exist and isn’t going to exist. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

So, indictment of both staffs?

Precisely 

Bad OL recruiting, bad OL development, and poor player utilization isn't a novel concept around here and it hasn't improved 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

He had been here for years 

And gotten playing time sporatically during those times.

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Basically the Gus special. Quick screens, misdirection and counters, RPO. Get Koy Moore and Tank in space and hope someone misses. 

I'm not sure we have enough experience at QB to pull it off well, regardless. 

This. 

The OL has been so terrible for so long. sigh. 
I just do not understand why they have to play the same players. These guys have not been good for a long time. Give some of the new guys a chance. It really cannot be worse. The current guys are basically turnstiles. 

• Like 2

You have to get new dudes in. If that didn’t work then you have to change your offense principles . I don’t care if you have to go to the triple option and hope to use misdirection to absolve the lack of talent . But you can’t try to run NFL offense principles with lack of talent . You aren’t coaching UGA here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I see other team’s getting the ball out of the QB’s hands with quick slants but I hardly ever see Auburn trying it.  Gus didn’t do it and Harsin doesn’t do it.  One thing is for dang sure what they are doing now isn’t working.  Roll him out more, try some screens, try the quick slants, try some misdirection, anything but continue trying to pass from a pocket that doesn’t exist and isn’t going to exist. 

It is maddening. Downright stubborn and stupid.

6 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I just do not understand why they have to play the same players.

Because we don't, and haven't for a while, had any OL depth. Period. It's showing out just the way is was predicted to. No depth, no competition to challenge, no talent brought in, it's everything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Because we don't, and haven't for a while, had any OL depth. Period. It's showing out just the way is was predicted to. No depth, no competition to challenge, no talent brought in, it's everything.

Agree but I know that there are some freshmen sitting there. Not many, but maybe 1 or 2 guys. Try them. Why not? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This is why I don’t  think that it’s fixable, at least with this staff. We desperately need more and better players but that isn’t going to happen this season…and we knew that was the case back in February and certainly after spring practice. And yet, no accommodation made for the limitations of talent. Mediocre talent(at best)+poor OL coaching+poor gameplay/scheme=what you witnessed Saturday. I don’t see that changing this year or how you realistically could. I like the idea of just bringing in the younger guys to get them reps but they will have received the same poor coaching. And, this staff is playing each week just to somehow scrape out a win, not looking to the future because they know that they don’t have one

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Agree but I know that there are some freshmen sitting there. Not many, but maybe 1 or 2 guys. Try them. Why not? 

Exactly, were not going to be any worse and it helps for next year 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

It makes no difference at this point, but how does Will Friend still have a job?

I hate it for Tank. His college career will never come close to what he deserves. 

Tank had 62 yards after contact against Missouri. And 44 rushing yards in total. No, that is not an error. 

Anyway, try a couple of the younger guys out. Why not. And on a crucial 4th and inches, do not hand off to a RB lined up deep. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:
20 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Exactly, were not going to be any worse and it helps for next year 

But this staff isn’t playing for next year, at least not at Auburn because they know they’re toast. They know they are gone so just hoping for resume-sake to scrape out as many wins as possible. 

• Like 2

Just now, fredst said:

But this staff isn’t playing for next year, at least not at Auburn because they know they’re toast. They know they are gone so just hoping for resume-sake to scrape out as many wins as possible. 

You are correct but maybe the new guys are better? It just seems impossible that they would be worse. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Precisely 

Bad OL recruiting, bad OL development, and poor player utilization isn't a novel concept around here and it hasn't improved 

OL recruiting has truly baffled me.  How was that not an immediate priority for recruiting and the portal?  Auburn should have been an easy sell, as it was obvious that both talent and depth are needed.  Recruits and transfers could expect early playing time and possibly starting jobs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

That’s how I feel which is why I say we should get an interim pronto . I am typically against that 

• Like 3

Just now, Strychnine said:

OL recruiting has truly baffled me.  How was that not an immediate priority for recruiting and the portal?  Auburn should have been an easy sell, as it was obvious that both talent and depth are needed.  Recruits and transfers could expect early playing time and possibly starting jobs.

This staff overthinks . They are looking for the perfect recruit it feels. You don’t have time for that. They should’ve honestly over recruited like Arkansas. I don’t care how much some of these posters bash the recruits. Over recruit for now until you get to a point where you can get blue chips consistently. Arkansas does not have a bunch of 4 And 5 stars.

• Like 1

PED, hold, PED, fire Friend now, M’ba, pray. In that order. 

(PED = performance enhancing drug -  probably need something harder with this group) 

Edited by AUx

1 minute ago, DAG said:

This staff overthinks . They are looking for the perfect recruit it feels. You don’t have time for that. They should’ve honestly over recruited like Arkansas. I don’t care how much some of these posters bash the recruits. Over recruit for now until you get to a point where you can get blue chips consistently. Arkansas does not have a bunch of 4 And 5 stars.

Blue chip or not, they definitely need bodies. 1-3 star bodies are better than no bodies.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Blue chip or not, they definitely need bodies. 1-3 star bodies are better than no bodies.

That’s exactly what I just said lol.

6 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

There is but one explanation for the failure to bring in new O-line talent through the portal. The coaching staff didn't think the talent is as bad as some fans think. Maybe it's not. If a second teamer at AU can go win a starting job at Kentucky, his problem obviously wasn't talent. His problem at AU must have been the coaching. There are any number of former 3 and 4* recruits on our O-line, most of them upperclassmen. Are they even as good as they were in high school? I think the raw talent may still be there but it's not being developed or utilized properly.

• Like 2

give all our linemen cattle prods. they can make a thousand pound bull run like hell. but here is the kicker

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There is but one explanation for the failure to bring in new O-line talent through the portal. The coaching staff didn't think the talent is as bad as some fans think. Maybe it's not. If a second teamer at AU can go win a starting job at Kentucky, his problem obviously wasn't talent. His problem at AU must have been the coaching. There are any number of former 3 and 4* recruits on our O-line, most of them upperclassmen. Are they even as good as they were in high school? I think the raw talent may still be there but it's not being developed or utilized properly.

i agree

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s exactly what I just said lol.

we could buy all the o line guys cattle prods......................

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

we could buy all the o line guys cattle prods......................

Well we don’t want to abuse them now fifty lol. CBH already got accused of that once.

• Haha 1