Auburn Observer Film Room: Missouri

Auctoritas

There were legitimate QB's in the portal this past cycle not named Caleb Williams.  The fact he rolled out our OL/QBs tells me he doesn't really understand the AU job. You don't have 4 years to win. 

• Like 1

Great analysis. I love how you were able to breakdown the trends and even put in a note about doing the old Baylor Spread to lighten up the box. 

I saw something yesterday about how Mike McDaniel came out with a 21 personnel in their own end-zone vs the Baltimore Ravens, but ran an empty set, basically confused the Ravens into being in a heavy run blocking personnel instead of a nickel or a dime package. Ended up having Waddle against a safety and the Ravens got burned. — your analysis made me think that Harsin & Kiseau can definitely be more creative to give our speedsters a better chance at getting open. 

• Like 4

Basically, our team, that is made primarily of players recruited to play in a spread O, do better when we utilize spread concepts.

He's not wrong.

Also, Simp and Pritchett are rock stars in man coverage and have struggled when in zone...but are getting better.

It's strange how much we've struggled with dictating the play since 2013's dominance.  We now seem to wait to see what the D does as opposed to making the D adjust. I've really never seen anything like it and can't really make sense of it now.  It's just weird how incompetent we have been. 

Yeah, yeah, I know...2017...

Still had 4 losses. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yeah, yeah, I know...2017...

2017 was a lesson on the offensive line.

Early on, Herb Hand did not get a starting 5 set. He had Prince Tega at left tackle and Austin Golson at center. It was clear in the Clemson game Tega was not ready to start at left tackle. During game three, Golson subbed for injured right tackle Darius James, with Casey Dunn taking over as center. That led to the realization Dunn was staring material at center and Hand moved Golson to left tackle, replacing Tega. However Golson shifted to left guard against LSU when Mike Horton was injured, and then played center in the next game against Arkansas when Dunn was injured. During the Georgia game Golson moved over to right tackle when James was injured again. By then, Tega was playing much better.

Most of 2017's early problems were due to not having the right players in the right positions on the offensive line. Once we figured this out, we had success. We also developed Tega during the season to a level where he was effective against Georgia.

That was the last season we had a strong offensive line. It has been downhill since.

• Like 1

Wow, this takes a half a day to go thru completely.  Outstanding analysis.  No surprises in it either.  When  they are blitzing 70% of the time, it's shicking we didn't do more to exploit it.  Every day I question more the basic X's and O's understanding of this staff. 

The number of times we have 1 or more offensive linemen make physical contact with absolutely no one is astounding.  

12 hours ago, japantiger said:

Every day I question more the basic X's and O's understanding of this staff. 

They had me fooled. I was salivating over their knowledge and potential here, but it hasn't materialized. Opposite, in fact.

• Like 2

Great analysis.  It's clear that opposing Ds are going to emulate what PSU/Mizzou did to stifle AU's offense.  It's also clear that AU will continue to see that kind of pressure until they learn how to make opponents pay for it.  

• Like 2

On 9/28/2022 at 10:59 AM, Gowebb11 said:

The number of times we have 1 or more offensive linemen make physical contact with absolutely no one is astounding.  

when you have 3 pass blocking 1, you hope somebody might think "hmmm, maybe I should be looking backside, just in case"

Edited by EastAl_Tiger