Can we change the Offensive plan 5 games in?

gr82b4au

5 hours ago, Didba said:

Coaches should have had an RPO/quick passing attack ready to go in case Finely got hurt.  We have to mitigate the OL by going some sort of air raid/quick passing attack

Exactly what i said after the Penn State game. Even with TJ this needs to be a quick passing offense. This is like some Madden 101 type knowledge! 3-4 seconds ball needs to be gone. And what angers me so much that we're not doing it is the fact we have play makers for it to work. We have speedy RBs and WRs that have shown ability get yards after the catch. USE THEM! 

Spread the defense out. 4 WRs. Keep the defense guessing. This isn't hard! They just refuse to change.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Kellen Moore had two tremendous WRs to throw to in Young & Pettis, so yes, he threw for a ton of yards in 2010.

But Martin & Avery combined for over 1700 yards running mostly between the tackles that same season.

Boise coaches love the 1-back, 2-TE (or 1 TE, 1 slot WR) stretch run play.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Kellen Moore had two tremendous WRs to throw to in Young & Pettis, so yes, he threw for a ton of yards in 2010.

But Martin & Avery combined for over 1700 yards running mostly between the tackles that same season.

Boise coaches love the 1-back, 2-TE (or 1 TE, 1 slot WR) stretch run play.

I would characterize a typical BSU offense as being wide open.  My youngest son did his freshman year at BSU in 2015 and we attended a game there against Hawaii -- Harsin as HC with B. Rypian as QB.  BSU threw it all over the field, short/medium & long, to the WR, slot, TE & RBs.  49-0 at halftime.  All the time I was thinking 'geez, how come AU can't ever do likewise?  What's the problem?' 

Whatever putrid offense we're witnessing at AU this year is in no way representative of what I've seen at BSU in the past.  If a like comparison is needed, I'd say it looks very much like Malzahn-ball.  I know what many here are thinking:  "No way! It's worse!"  And to that I'll say, you won't find me arguing because I'm not enough of a connoisseur to be able to distinguish between 2 separate steaming piles of dog crap.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

I would characterize a typical BSU offense as being wide open.  My youngest son did his freshman year at BSU in 2015 and we attended a game there against Hawaii -- Harsin as HC with B. Rypian as QB.  BSU threw it all over the field, short/medium & long, to the WR, slot, TE & RBs.  49-0 at halftime.  All the time I was thinking 'geez, how come AU can't ever do likewise?  What's the problem?' 

Whatever putrid offense we're witnessing at AU this year is in no way representative of what I've seen at BSU in the past.  If a like comparison is needed, I'd say it looks very much like Malzahn-ball.  I know what many here are thinking:  "No way! It's worse!"  And to that I'll say, you won't find me arguing because I'm not enough of a connoisseur to be able to distinguish between 2 separate steaming piles of dog crap.   

A bad offensive line will make you look like an idiot just as fast as a good OL will make you look like a genius.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Our offense is comparable to Petersen’s and Harsin’s at Boise because they did both throw frequently and run the stretch. We currently don’t have the QB, OL or WRs or the putrid Mountain West defenses to face to do it as successfully as it was done at Boise. Period. Harsin’s prob is he refuses to adapt and incorporate a perimeter game because his offense is all he’s ever known. He has the TEs to assist in blocking and receiving, but rarely uses them. Shenker should be averaging 8-10 targets/game as he clearly has the best hands on the team by a mile. Plus TEs are always available within 5-10 yards, but nope, not going to take advantage of his receiving skills. 

Gus wouldn’t be able to do much with this OL either. But I know one thing he would do and that’s use Ashford and Tank much like he used Marshall and Mason with the zone read. Wouldn’t be close to as successful, but Gus was at least decent at adapting given what he had to work with. 

On 9/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, milehighfan said:

With the pathetic OL Auburn has right now it's not going to matter what offense you run. This OL is more offensive than off-senive.

Not necessarily true. Quick passing routes negate pass rush. If your offensive line isn’t pass or run blocking well, you have to rely on screens, slants and shallow crossing routes. Some of the posters above have it right. With this OL, we need to go to a more Mike Leach like passing game. But the coaches are being stubborn, and trying to run the offense the way they prefer to run it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

Not necessarily true. Quick passing routes negate pass rush. If your offensive line isn’t pass or run blocking well, you have to rely on screens, slants and shallow crossing routes. Some of the posters above have it right. With this OL, we need to go to a more Mike Leach like passing game. But the coaches are being stubborn, and trying to run the offense the way they prefer to run it.

They are for sure a stubborn bunch of coaches. That’s not good in our current situation.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 6:18 PM, Viper said:

Our offense is comparable to Petersen’s and Harsin’s at Boise because they did both throw frequently and run the stretch. We currently don’t have the QB, OL or WRs or the putrid Mountain West defenses to face to do it as successfully as it was done at Boise. Period. Harsin’s prob is he refuses to adapt and incorporate a perimeter game because his offense is all he’s ever known. He has the TEs to assist in blocking and receiving, but rarely uses them. Shenker should be averaging 8-10 targets/game as he clearly has the best hands on the team by a mile. Plus TEs are always available within 5-10 yards, but nope, not going to take advantage of his receiving skills. 

Gus wouldn’t be able to do much with this OL either. But I know one thing he would do and that’s use Ashford and Tank much like he used Marshall and Mason with the zone read. Wouldn’t be close to as successful, but Gus was at least decent at adapting given what he had to work with. 

This is correct. Our OL is simply bad a zone blocking, and we need alternatives. That quick pitch to Tank worked because the TE had the angle on the Edge defender, and the OT pulled and provided a lead block.

Our OL needs plays that give angles, which inside zone, wide zone, and outside zone do not provide. But, zone options provide a numbers advantage.

Our goal has to be to get players with the ball in the C and D gaps, i.e., outside of the OT.

I would go with a 3 WR, TE as wing-back or sniffer, and attack the edge with inside zone read option, quick pitch, WR bubble screen, pass in the flat, WR tunnel screens, etc. Also consider WR jet sweep type plays. Attack the edge outside of the OT. Far outside of the OT, if possible. Also do the same with 4 WR sets. Even do the WRs extra wide or stacked. Force the defense to put multiple defenders on the perimeter.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 9/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, Mikey said:

To me, the basis of this entire mess rests with the head coach and coordinators. They have not devised schemes that help our players succeed. Their offensive and defensive schemes should try to emphasize our team strengths and hide the weakness. I don't see any of that. I think they are trying to jam a round peg (players) into a square hole (their preferred systems). A good coaching staff adjusts their plans to fit the talent available, not vice-versa.

Best analogy  I have heard. Great post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2022 at 3:54 PM, AUloggerhead said:

This is what puzzles me. I've watched a lot of Boise highlights over the years. Obviously, they were probably the most talented team in the MWC and the D's they faced weren't great; however, it was always a fun and creative offense to watch. Really, just a good scheme and a well-coached offense out there.

And whether we like it or not, CBH was arguably the brainchild behind it during their glory years, under Coach Pete as OC and then as HC. Now watching him he looks like a total dumb-ass out there with this offense. There's almost a part of me wondering if he forgot how to coach offense on the plane ride over.

I no longer think he's the man for the job, but I also find it hard to fathom that he went from such a bright offensive mind and play-caller to a joke overnight that has zero clue how to scheme. Thus, I am tempted to believe this is a personnel issue, which still falls mostly on him, of course, for not bringing in more portal guys to fit his scheme a little better.

• Like 2

I think a lot of folks forget Malzahn as OC utterly changed the O scheme 4 games into 2010 season. He had been playing Cam like Urban Myth had at UF but realized Cam's once-in-a-generation talents and built an O around him thereafter. Heck wishbone Dye took an entire season to realize the O needed to be schemed for Bo. Not sure we have a star that warrants changing the scheme and looks like extremely poor execution (especially blocking) more than scheme IMO.

15 hours ago, au302 said:

This is what puzzles me. I've watched a lot of Boise highlights over the years. Obviously, they were probably the most talented team in the MWC and the D's they faced weren't great; however, it was always a fun and creative offense to watch. Really, just a good scheme and a well-coached offense out there.

And whether we like it or not, CBH was arguably the brainchild behind it during their glory years, under Coach Pete as OC and then as HC. Now watching him he looks like a total dumb-ass out there with this offense. There's almost a part of me wondering if he forgot how to coach offense on the plane ride over.

I no longer think he's the man for the job, but I also find it hard to fathom that he went from such a bright offensive mind and play-caller to a joke overnight that has zero clue how to scheme. Thus, I am tempted to believe this is a personnel issue, which still falls mostly on him, of course, for not bringing in more portal guys to fit his scheme a little better.

His offenses need 2 things, good Accurate QB and time from Ol, we have neither. Without this not very effective.

• Like 1

Watching the USCe -SC State game.

SC State just ran a shotgun veer play. Two RBs in the backfield. Inside zone read to one RB. The play would have had the other ARB trail the QB on the QB keep as a pitch option. The first read caused the QB to hand the ball off to RB1, but it clearly was a veer option.

Put Robby, Tank, and Hunter in the backfield and run this:

20 hours ago, au302 said:

This. And what Mikey said. I know we don't have the Jimmy's and Joe's , but does anyone here believe for one second that this same bunch of players would look like this if Saban, Freeze, Kiffen, Kelly, Kirby, Mark Stoops, or the Coach at Kansas had the same players for one spring and summer? Add the coaches at any program in the top 30 and tell me who would look this bad. I will post this and eat major crow if he wins 3 more games. And I was a fan. He talked like Dye and Saban , coaches like ......idk.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, gr82b4au said:

Is that possible ? 
Is there a way that we can actually run the triple option or the offense that Gus ran in 2013? Or screens or slants?  RA is not build for this current scheme at all. With no offensive line, it has to change right???

You are talking about a scheme vs game p Lan.  Game plans actually change weekly based on the opponent.  The scheme as you are talking about is almost impossible to change during the season.  In fact, most coaching changes that happened during the season the new coaches keep the scheme and manages changes through the game plan.