Tate Johnson out 6-8 Weeks

toddc

Auburn center Tate Johnson out 6-8 weeks

• Sad 2

Auburn to have changes on the offensive line for LSU with Johnson out because of injury

ByJASON CALDWELL 41 minutes ago

Share18 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama—Coming off a lackluster offensive performance in last weekend’s 17-14 overtime win over Missouri, Auburn  (3-1, 1-0) is expected to have a different look on the offensive line with the news that starting center Tate Johnson will miss a significant amount of time following an arm injury suffered on Saturday. Coach Bryan Harsin announced Monday that Johnson will have surgery on his elbow on Thursday. The timeline is expected to be at least 6-8 weeks according to Harsin.

Johnson was replaced by senior Jalil Irvinagainst Missouri, but the Auburn offense struggled to run the football. In the final three quarters, Auburn had just 13 yards rushing and just five in the final two quarters and overtime.

Irvin is listed as the starter for the Auburn offense heading into Saturday's game at Jordan-Hare Stadium. 

18COMMENTS

In addition to the changes at center on Saturday, Auburn also saw some different faces along the line of scrimmage with Alec Jackson getting some reps behind Kam Stutts at right guard and Brenden Coffey working behind Kilian Zierer at left tackle.

Seventh-year senior guard Brandon Councilcould be a player to watch this week after he got reps at center during the preseason. That could be something the Tigers revisit this week in preparation for LSU, with sophomore Jeremiah Wright a possibility to get some snaps at guard along with junior Keiondre Jones. Another player in the mix could be sophomore Avery Jernigan, who has worked exclusively at center going back to the spring.

Senior leadership at Center with Council would be nice. Cant be any worse than what we’ve seen so far. I used to give Brahms tons of sh*t but that big soft bag of teddy bears was the super glue and duct tape that held our pitiful group of offensive linemen together.

Sad.  My man crush rose up and got the starting job.   And now he’s out for an extended time.   😢

At least our HC has united the team and fan base and we’re in the playoff conversation. Oh, wait…..image.gif

Edited by AUinMS9528

13 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Sad.  My man crush rose up and got the starting job.   And now he’s out for an extended time.   😢

At least our HC has united the team and fan base and we’re in the playoff conversation. Oh, wait…..image.gif

I see what you did there 😏 

Hate it for the kid but it happens in football.  I wish him a speedy recovery and a great OL coach to play under next year.  If he puts on about 20 lbs of muscle and gets some good coaching he might be our future at center.  

22 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Senior leadership at Center with Council would be nice. Cant be any worse than what we’ve seen so far. I used to give Brahms tons of sh*t but that big soft bag of teddy bears was the super glue and duct tape that held our pitiful group of offensive linemen together.

I remember we did the same thing to Kaleb Kim when we had a league average rushing attack and he looked like the visible weak point. Good times 

• Haha 1

Hope Tate has a speedy recovery. He seemed to be settling in when injury bug hit. Not sure when injury happened, but first couple of AU drives looked pretty good. 

May be next year (spring) before TJ gets back to full speed. Will that be his Senior year? Not sure how that works. Tate was in 2020 class. So this is his third year at Auburn. As I understand it, he did not play in a game first two years but is listed as a Junior on the roster. Ashford was in same (2020) class at Oregon. He did not play the first two years, but he is listed as a Freshman. I know there are redshirt years, Covid years, medical redshirts, etc, but I guess they have to be applied for by Auburn?. Wonder if Tate is just ready to move on after next year. We have several 6th year Seniors and one 7th yr Senior. I guess roster management takes care of those issues. Hope Tate somehow gets a redshirt year and stays on with a little extra size and strength.