NCAA looking to start clock after incomplete passes.

autiger88

SEC

NCAA reportedly considering drastic change to cut down length of college football games

Cory Nightingale | 2 hours ago

Once again, the length of college football games is becoming a major issue, as the average FBS game is now going 3 hours and 22 minutes, a 4-minute increase from 5 years ago.

According to a report by The Athletic’s Seth Emerson, NCAA officials have found the cause of college football games that are getting longer and longer, year after year.

The culprits aren’t replay or timeouts, either.

Officials reportedly now believe that an increase in passing plays is the main reason games are going longer as the years go on.

One of the solutions to this time issue would be to treat incomplete passes like plays where the ball runs out of bounds — the clock would stop only until the ball is set to be hiked again. And then the clock would run again, except for in the last 2 minutes of the first half and the final 5 minutes of regulation.

Until this solution or another one is put into place, viewers will be at the mercy of the sophisticated modern passing games that are slowly turning college football games into mini-marathons.

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I can tell them how to solve the problem.

4 minutes less commercials would pretty much do it 

That's the one solution they will never choose

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Just. Why.

We only get 12 games per year. Nobody is saying “but I wish they didn’t last as long”.

Right, in fact I wish they would cut down on commercials for more football not less. It's like them trying to shorten Baseball it's stupid. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Just. Why.

We only get 12 games per year. Nobody is saying “but I wish they didn’t last as long”.

Well, that and it removes a strategic element of the game as well. Just remove 20 seconds from each quarter. In football time, that will equal 4 minutes and they get to keep their precious commercials. But also, just cut down on the freaking commercials...

• Like 1

I don't agree with the last 2 minutes of first half and last 5 minutes of regulation being different. Either change the rule or don't change it. 

My time saver idea...

If the refs would quit calling holding on Auburn like they do for Alabama then our games would speed up a bit. Just an idea. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I wouldn’t be mad at that. Especially in cupcake games or 11 a.m. games where you baking in the sun 

Be damned if I'm driving 2.5 hours to watch a 2 hour game. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Just. Why.

Seriously. Who complains about the length of the game? How many people actually watch the entire thing? Ratings have peaks and valleys. They should just care when people tune in imo

I don't hate the idea of the rule change but who knows. I could get on board with a shorter halftime.

That element effects so much of the  gamesmanship of the game. Play calling, scheme, 2-minutes O&D, etc.  It also eliminates built in drama and fun. Just stupid 

• Like 3

I think they can easily cut the length of replays to cover for this.  Before the ref even gets to the monitor, the tv audience, has already seen 5 replays and made a decision on the play.  They should have a ref behind a monitor doing the same.  Change the call from "the previous play is under review" to "the previous play was reviewed and the call stands/is reversed."  This would help improve the flow of the game as well in my opinion.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I can tell them how to solve the problem.

4 minutes less commercials would pretty much do it 

^^^This^^^

When did commercial breaks go from 2 minutes to 4 minutes?

I thought they were 3 minutes until I saw the guy with the timeout clock board and it showed 3:38 and counting.

If I recall, late in the first half of the Mizzou team, one team called a timeout, the ref's said it was a 30 second timeout, and it ended up being a 4 minute timeout because ESPN took a commercial break.