Kiffin recruiting...

LPTiger

28 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Ole Miss is currently ranked 44th, 11 spots above us in 247's rankings.   They have 11 commits.   We have 10.    Why are we so excited about Lane? 

I would trade for him tomorrow… and from what I can remember while at UT and USC he had no problems recruiting. 
He is not my first choice but better than what we have now. 

• Like 1

I believe this has been discussed elsewhere. He / his staff tend to "close well", and may be intentionally keeping some commitments under wraps to avoid becoming a target for poaching. You need to look at how his classes finish to get a real idea of his real recruiting prowess. 

This is not to say at all that he's one of the best recruiters among those who may be considered to replace Harsin, merely that looking only at the current status of Ole Miss at this one snapshot in time is misleading. 

He's not top of my list, and I think he would be really, seriously, totally uninterested in coming to Auburn. But just for reference, his coaching W-L record --

Ole Miss -- 70% win record
FAU -- 68% win record
USC -- 65% win record

Harsin at Auburn -- 53% and most likely going waaaaay down this year.

I'm not stumping for Kiffin, but he's definitely a step up from Harsin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Ole Miss is currently ranked 44th, 11 spots above us in 247's rankings.   They have 11 commits.   We have 10.    Why are we so excited about Lane? 

That is the million dollar question isn't it? Never was a fan of Lane.

Lane has also really moved his recruiting tactics to attacking the transfer portal the past year, finishing 2nd to USC amongst transfers. He finished 15th last year with only 17 signees so he also goes for quality over quantity. The transfer tactic is the same one he employed at FAU as well. 

However, He has always been known as a closer in the recruiting world as well, so his classes always ends well, rather than starting fast. 

Of the prominent recruiters we’ve brought up outside of Deion: Kiffin, Freeze, Aranda, Fleck, etc. I’d probably put him at the top. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

He would be a step up, but not a big enough step for me. 

Lane is a great play caller. Mo mistaking that. He transformed Saban's Alabama teams. He can recruit fairly well, too IMO. I don't like some of his game day decisions. I.e. Going for it on 4th down. That is a big part of why we beat Ole Miss last year. With all that said, I would not be upset in the slightest if we fired Harsin and hired Lane. One, I think he is definitely a splash hire. He has name recognition and I believe he could recruit better at AU than Ole Miss and he has done well there IMO. I don't know that he is the coach to get us to being a perennial 10+ win team and SEC contender, but I think he can dig us out of the black hole we are in. He would have us in a good spot for the next coach when he bails for coeds in whatever other school comes calling in a few years. 

51 minutes ago, AURex said:

He's not top of my list, and I think he would be really, seriously, totally uninterested in coming to Auburn. But just for reference, his coaching W-L record --

FAU -- 68% win record
USC -- 65% win record

Wasn’t USC dealing with sanctions when he was there

He won the transfer portal this year and that is exactly what it’s gonna take to turn Auburn around.  Anybody that could take Ole Miss to the Sugar Bowl as quick as he turned them around is a great coach in my book.  Before Ole Miss he won 11 games twice at FAU and they had never done anything before and have not done anything since.  He also changed the Bammer offense under Saban into what it is today.   The guy had some growing up to do after the UT and USC fiascos but since his time under Saban he figured out how to run a program the right way.   He is also one of the most dynamic play callers I have seen in a long time.  Another great benefit is he gets under Saban’s skin.  

• Like 4

I like Kiffin only if my top 3 or 5 don't pan out. But he's lower on the list because of recruiting. Exactly the point of this thread. 

Bill O'Brien is a whiff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Where do his offense rank and where do Auburn’s offense rank? That’s what I wanna see

Kiffin has wrecked every program he’s ever been a part of as a HC (minus FAU because how can you wreck what’s already a wreck?) I don’t want him. Great offense and bad recruiting is a sign of who he really is - a great OC but a subpar HC.

5 hours ago, AURex said:

FAU -- 68% win record
USC -- 65% win record

Kiffin has won 70% of his games while at Ole Miss. We Auburn fans always talk about our schedule being tough every year because we are in the SEC West. Well, Kiffin is also in the same division and at a school that has always been towards the bottom of the SEC West. Winning 70% of your games at Ole Miss is like winning 85% at Auburn. He also played in the Sugar Bowl last year against Baylor. (Can't remember if he won that game or not)

Just to look at winning percentages at Auburn:

Pat Dye 71%.....12 years.....99-39-4

Bowden 73%......5.5 years......47-17

Tuberville 68%....10 years.....85-40

Chizik.....53%.....4 years......33-19

Gus ......66%......8 years......68-35

Also, when Gus took over in 2013, Auburn had the 10th highest winning percentage in FBS over the previous 30 years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Kiffin has won 70% of his games while at Ole Miss. We Auburn fans always talk about our schedule being tough every year because we are in the SEC West.

Check closely. Ole Miss consistently has one of the weakest non conference schedules in the conference. You will find no Oregon/Penn State/Clemson in their schedule. They also don't get UGA every year. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheDob06 said:

I'm with you. I don't think Lane Kiffin is a great coach. He's the ultimate example of having an influential parent and failing up.

I'll give you the SC job but that's about it. Best thing that ever happened to Lane was Nick Saban and Alabama. He earned the Ole Miss job.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cbo said:

I like Kiffin only if my top 3 or 5 don't pan out. But he's lower on the list because of recruiting. Exactly the point of this thread. 

Bill O'Brien is a whiff. 

Traditional recruiting is very different now. You could actually have a middle of the road recruiting class ( by SEC standards, not nationally )and kill it in the portal and be much better than many teams above you in ranking. Most, if not all, of Kiffens playmakers on both sides of the ball are transfers , with multiple years of eligibility. I think he would do fine across the board , and especially with elite offensive talent. JMO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Same reason some folks are suggesting Deon - it would be, uh, "cool" in the short term.