Kiffin recruiting...

LPTiger

13 hours ago, W.E.D said:

People assume he'll recruit better here.  I have my doubts

He sure can make a snarky tweet. That keeps him in the running by itself. 

14 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Ole Miss is currently ranked 44th, 11 spots above us in 247's rankings.   They have 11 commits.   We have 10.    Why are we so excited about Lane? 

They ranked in Top 3 in the portal transfer rankings for 2022 with 9 4* star transfers. What did Auburn do? They'll probably be ranked high again in 2023 for transfers. He understands Ole Miss shortcomings and still goes and gets good players. 

It's also be one of the reasons i said that Lane would come to AU since many seem to think why would he leave Ole Miss. He could certainly recruit at a higher level at AU and actually win recruiting battles against Bama and UGA. Ole Miss isn't going to win an natty anytime soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even those of us who originally supported Harsin know we need to replace him. I don't think Kiffin can get us to next level but that is just my opinion which probably isn't worth that much. I think he is a good coach but I just don't think he can get us where many think we belong. Kiffin, Freeze, Stoops, Sanders behind the scenes I hope we are doing out homework looking at these and maybe others.    While I want us to continue looking we need a new AD first who has input on who we select.   

Not giving a new AD a chance to have input on the selection would be a huge mistake and would undermine the new AD before he or she is hired.  The reason a new AD is so important is because of how dis-functional Auburn has been recently. If we can't get the whole Auburn family pulling together big boosters both the types that want a big say in everything and the ones who just love Auburn and donate with no strings attached, cleanout bad blood in Athletic department, the President, the people setting up and running NIL and the fan base as a whole. It will take a very strong no nonsense type AD with tremendous communication skills to get us over the hump and moving in the right direction  If we get this type of AD then whoever the committee and the AD decide on should be somebody we can all pull for even if, in my case the coach was not my 1st choice.

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Same reason some folks are suggesting Deon - it would be, uh, "cool" in the short term.

Ask yourselves this. If Deion and Kiffin are scheduled to visit or call to recruit you on the same day, who are you more excited to speak with?

4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Why?

Look up how his tenure in Houston went. A lot of sketchy/weird stuff. He essentially ruined the franchise. Not to mention he’s been pretty abysmal as Bama’s OC despite the talent.

The better question is why would you want him?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

Ask yourselves this. If Deion and Kiffin are scheduled to visit or call to recruit you on the same day, who are you more excited to speak with?

Assume their teams are scheduled to play UGA or Bama with even or lesser talent. Do either even remotely have a shot to win? 

Remember, Harsin schooled Kiffin in JHS last year. And Deion has no experience coaching major football.

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Look up how his tenure in Houston went. A lot of sketchy/weird stuff. He essentially ruined the franchise. Not to mention he’s been pretty abysmal as Bama’s OC despite the talent.

He made a program that was a complete dumpster fire, respectable after taking over. What he did at Penn State imo was amazing due to the circumstances. He was a college coach that actually had Winning seasons in the NFL. (Saban and Spurrier, for example, did not). He obviously knows how to coach, he knows how to win, and he knows how to make a team in turmoil respectable… Oh and I feel pretty good about Bama’s chances of winning the SEC and NT.

Just now, sevenlee36 said:

He made a program that was a complete dumpster fire, respectable after taking over. What he did at Penn State imo was amazing due to the circumstances. He was a college coach that actually had Winning seasons in the NFL. (Saban and Spurrier, for example, did not). He obviously knows how to coach, he knows how to win, and he knows how to make a team in turmoil respectable… Oh and I feel pretty good about Bama’s chances of winning the SEC and NT.

Well there’s a reason literally nobody is mentioning B.O.B. It would be viewed as a Chizik level hire.

• Like 1

I think he’s a guy that’s going to use the TP a little more than you’d like, and probably won’t prioritize recruiting quite as much as a tier 1 coach would 

OM wasn’t bad in the trenches talent wise before he came, I’d like to see if his brand of program management lends itself to a substantial improvement in that regard. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Well there’s a reason literally nobody is mentioning B.O.B. It would be viewed as a Chizik level hire.

Now that’s hilarious. Nobody else wants him so he must be bad. Hell if everybody else wanted him we’d have no chance in hell at getting him. Well end up with a Chizik, so it doesn’t matter. Let’s see who wants him after Bama wins the NT.

Edited by sevenlee36

11 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Now that’s hilarious. Nobody else wants him so he must be bad. Hell if everybody else wanted him we’d have no chance in hell at getting him. Well end up with a Chizik, so it doesn’t matter. Let’s see who wants him after Bama wins the NT.

THAT’S the attitude that’ll get us another Chizik. Harsin shutout O’Brien’s offense, with a Heisman winner at QB and loads of talent, for 59 minutes. Hard pass. 

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Check closely. Ole Miss consistently has one of the weakest non conference schedules in the conference. You will find no Oregon/Penn State/Clemson in their schedule. They also don't get UGA every year. 

They have Vanderbilt as their permanent East opponent. Replace Geogia with Vanderbilt on our schedule every year and Gus Malzahn is probably still our coach

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

THAT’S the attitude that’ll get us another Chizik. Harsin shutout O’Brien’s offense, with a Heisman winner at QB and loads of talent, for 59 minutes. Hard pass. 

And Gus beat Saban. Hard pass on Saban?

IMHO, LK is Freeze Lite.   LK doesn’t like recruiting.  He does seem to navigate NIL and the current free agency market pretty well.   I think he’s also a little too married to the analytics book.   Overall, he’s not terrible.   But I think we can do better.   

59 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

O'briens offense sucks and is insanely boring to watch -- not dynamic at all especially compared to kiffins or sarkizians time at bama. The turd forums are already over him and want the guy to transition elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

IMHO, LK is Freeze Lite.   LK doesn’t like recruiting.  He does seem to navigate NIL and the current free agency market pretty well.   I think he’s also a little too married to the analytics book.   Overall, he’s not terrible.   But I think we can do better.   

Yea, but is the reason Freeze likes recruiting bc he was out if town? I see Freeze as Kiffen lite actually.

17 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

He would be a step up, but not a big enough step for me. 

Yes! This is our time. We better hit this one out of the ballpark or we are bottom feeders indefinitely. We can't do another 'marginally better than what we have now'. We've run out of lives.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Assume their teams are scheduled to play UGA or Bama with even or lesser talent. Do either even remotely have a shot to win? 

Remember, Harsin schooled Kiffin in JHS last year. And Deion has no experience coaching major football.

Wasn’t what I asked.

18 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Ole Miss is currently ranked 44th, 11 spots above us in 247's rankings.   They have 11 commits.   We have 10.    Why are we so excited about Lane? 

Cherry picking.  Lane two full recruiting classes at USC were 13 and 10.  The brought in significant offensive talent at Alabama.  Freezes 3 full classes at Ole Miss was 8, 17 and 17 Kiffens first full class was 17 rather comparable considering how Freeze got talent to come to Ole Miss.  People that want Freeze will question kiffen based on inconclusive cherrypicking and then will want Freeze for the job no questions asked.

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

Wasn’t what I asked.

Exactly. That’s not what anybody is asking and that’s the problem. Deion may be able to pull some 5 star recruits and Lane may be able to make lemonade from offensive lemons. But they’re being hired to bring us back to prominence as a program. I have no reason to believe either (and many of the other candidates being pitched) are capable of what the actual job is - to win football games in the SEC.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Exactly. That’s not what anybody is asking and that’s the problem. Deion may be able to pull some 5 star recruits and Lane may be able to make lemonade from offensive lemons. But they’re being hired to bring us back to prominence as a program. I have no reason to believe either (and many of the other candidates being pitched) are capable of what the actual job is - to win football games in the SEC.

That’s still not a valid answer to my question.

4 hours ago, Viper said:

Is that a trick question.