Who is your #1?

AUinMS9528

Who is your top choice to replace CBH?   And please state why he’s your top choice.   I would love a little bit of transparency in stating some pros and cons of the hire in your post.   
Then, let’s see if we can refrain from any name calling, petty arguing, or references to Gus (unless of course he is your top choice🤣).   Let’s see how long this will last…..

Doesn't matter.  We'll fire them in a few years anyway and continue the madness.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Some names I’ve heard mentioned….

Matt Rhule 

Todd Monken

Hugh Freeze

Lane Kiffin

Deion Sanders

Jeff Grimes

Mike Elko 

Mark Stoops

Dave Aranda

Mel Tucker

Matt Campbell

Curious to know who in the world mentioned Mel Tucker. That guy isn't going anywhere...and I'm not convinced I'd want him to anyway, but his contract and buyout are absurd. 

Urban Meyer

I’m tired of losing. I’m tired of watching great Auburn games of the past on YouTube. He’s the only big name coach that we can hire because he has baggage. Guess what? That’s the only reason we were able to hire Bruce Pearl. Nobody else was willing to take the risk and give Bruce a 2nd chance, not even Alabama. 

I don’t care what he did in his past. I don’t care what his marriage is like. He’s the most successful college football coach alive not named Nick Saban. 

He will win wherever he goes. He’s one of the best recruiters in the history of the game not named Saban or Smart. He would immediately put us back on the map. Our media publicity couldn’t get worse, and that goes away once he starts winning. 

Put provisional clauses in the contract - I don’t care. You sell it as Meyer’s last attempt at a legacy. You sell it along side Bruce Pearl’s history, 2nd chance, and legacy.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Angry 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Urban Meyer

I’m tired of losing. I’m tired of watching great Auburn games of the past on YouTube. He’s the only big name coach that we can hire because he has baggage. Guess what? That’s the only reason we were able to hire Bruce Pearl. Nobody else was willing to take the risk and give Bruce a 2nd chance, not even Alabama. 

I don’t care what he did in his past. I don’t care what his marriage is like. He’s the most successful college football coach alive not named Nick Saban. 

He will win wherever he goes. He’s one of the best recruiters in the history of the game not named Saban or Smart. He would immediately put us back on the map. Our media publicity couldn’t get worse, and that goes away once he starts winning. 

Put provisional clauses in the contract - I don’t care. You sell it as Meyer’s last attempt at a legacy. You sell it along side Bruce Pearl’s history, 2nd chance, and legacy.  

no-michael-scott(1).gif.d0b2251bd31807db7cae71cb7d7211c8.gif

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Urban Meyer

I want Urban too. We need a homerun hire. He's the most qualified guy not named Dabo that can immediately compete with Saban and Kirby. He has mentioned on Big Noon Kickoff or whatever that Auburn is a top 10 job or so. He could've been saying that just to say it but still. I think he would do wonders at Auburn. Even if he wanted to stay 3-4 years, I'd be fine with that. We just need the bar restocked so to speak.

Agree to the bolded. I don't think Urban wants to embarrass himself or his family any more than he has. 

• Like 1

Grimes. 

We are in a major rebuild at this point and may have to go through more than one coach to get to anything resembling stability. Deion would likely recruit, but I fear he might recruit like Gus did putting all the emphasis on high star skill positions and neglecting the building blocks. His media presence could be as much a distraction or negative as a positive and given how he played the game himself, I worry we might fall into some disciplinary issues. Kiffen would be entertaining, but I haven't seen Kiffen recruit well yet and am wary of putting all our chips in the neato-offense route again. 

Grimes has recruited for Auburn and recruited well. He has a lot of experience but we could likely get him easier than some of the head coaches. He doesn't come with the immediate baggage of a Freeze or Meyer, he's smart and seems like a relationship builder and I trust him to bring in good coaches to help him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodford said:

I want Urban too. We need a homerun hire. He's the most qualified guy not named Dabo that can immediately compete with Saban and Kirby. He has mentioned on Big Noon Kickoff or whatever that Auburn is a top 10 job or so. He could've been saying that just to say it but still. I think he would do wonders at Auburn. Even if he wanted to stay 3-4 years, I'd be fine with that. We just need the bar restocked so to speak.

Agree to the bolded. I don't think Urban wants to embarrass himself or his family any more than he has. 

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Urban Meyer

Hell no. See his time at the Jax Jaguars where he made a fool of himself, verbally abused his players, and coaches, everyone hated him. He’s toxic, kicked his kicker in the ass for no reason. Shoved his hand up a chick’s bum while his team flew home after a loss. 

go listen to player and coaches interviews from his time at the Jags. He would come into the locker room and threaten to fire all of his coaches on a daily basis. Blame every loss on the players and his coaches. Never accepted responsibility for the losses himself. 

I’m just gonna assume you guys are saying Urban because y’all didn’t follow his time as the Jags head coach. 

these provisional clauses you refer to won’t get put in his contract because he won’t come here if you try to do that. No coach will as many of us on the legal side of things have opined too. 

Edited by Didba
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Has Lane Kiffen ever said anything to indicate he would like to come to Auburn, or are some of you just assuming.  If that's what we are doing, I'd like Dabo Sweeney.

• Like 2

Ok, so I don’t really have a #1 right now.   

My tier 1

I think we should definitely call Deion and try to get an interview with him.   He could play the recruiting and free agency game in a way that we could turn this thing around very quickly.   He appears to be doing all the right things.    The only concern is he hasn’t done it at this level YET.  (I think it’s only a matter of when and where)
I like Monken.   He’s been in the NFL and  some of the best college teams in the country, so he knows what it takes.  As a HC, he turned USM from 0-12 to conference champs in 3 years.   I think he would be a very good hire.  
I like Rhule.   He was probably my top choice 2 years ago.   He may want to get back in the college game after his stint at Carolina.   

Teir 2
I think Stoops is a great coach, but he’s not as high on my list because he might test our patience before having success.  But he is a proven program builder.  
I like Grimes a lot.   The one concern with him is the lack of HC experience.  
Im not opposed to Freeze or Kiffin.   They have their pluses and minuses.   

I was high on Matt Campbell last go around too.   I haven’t heard anything about him this time.   🤷‍♂️

27 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Ok, so I don’t really have a #1 right now.   

My tier 1

I think we should definitely call Deion and try to get an interview with him.   He could play the recruiting and free agency game in a way that we could turn this thing around very quickly.   He appears to be doing all the right things.    The only concern is he hasn’t done it at this level YET.  (I think it’s only a matter of when and where)
I like Monken.   He’s been in the NFL and  some of the best college teams in the country, so he knows what it takes.  As a HC, he turned USM from 0-12 to conference champs in 3 years.   I think he would be a very good hire.  
I like Rhule.   He was probably my top choice 2 years ago.   He may want to get back in the college game after his stint at Carolina.   

Teir 2
I think Stoops is a great coach, but he’s not as high on my list because he might test our patience before having success.  But he is a proven program builder.  
I like Grimes a lot.   The one concern with him is the lack of HC experience.  
Im not opposed to Freeze or Kiffin.   They have their pluses and minuses.   

I was high on Matt Campbell last go around too.   I haven’t heard anything about him this time.   🤷‍♂️

I dont think Campbell or any other coach from outside the Southeast even gets a call. After the Harsin disaster I think Auburn will go exclusively with candidates that at least have experience both coaching and recruiting in this area, if not currently coaching here.

Jeff Grimes: very competent, offensive minded, positive history with Auburn and understands our potential, and above average recruiter. Well connected and well respected: could assemble a competent staff very quickly. No character flags. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Doesn’t look like, sound like Coach prime is going anywhere.

Hey Deion, it'd be really cool if you went to a HWCU and made it a more level playing field? He probably won't be leaving and that's fine as long as we at least take a serious shot at making him think about leaving.

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Hell no. See his time at the Jax Jaguars where he made a fool of himself, verbally abused his players, and coaches, everyone hated him. He’s toxic, kicked his kicker in the ass for no reason. Shoved his hand up a chick’s bum while his team flew home after a loss. 

go listen to player and coaches interviews from his time at the Jags. He would come into the locker room and threaten to fire all of his coaches on a daily basis. Blame every loss on the players and his coaches. Never accepted responsibility for the losses himself. 

I’m just gonna assume you guys are saying Urban because y’all didn’t follow his time as the Jags head coach. 

these provisional clauses you refer to won’t get put in his contract because he won’t come here if you try to do that. No coach will as many of us on the legal side of things have opined too. 

I did and I don't care. He made mistakes. I'm sure he regrets all of his mistakes at Jacksonville and tOSU. He clearly was not ready for that role with the Jaguars.

But if he agreed then that's a good start. You think Fox will let him act like an a**hole? Doubt it.

He's a winner and could fix this mess. I don't care about the personal lives of coaches or players. Yes, I'm a terrible person for that too I'm well aware.