Who is your #1?

AUinMS9528

4 hours ago, woodford said:

I did and I don't care. He made mistakes. I'm sure he regrets all of his mistakes at Jacksonville and tOSU. He clearly was not ready for that role with the Jaguars.

But if he agreed then that's a good start. You think Fox will let him act like an a**hole? Doubt it.

He's a winner and could fix this mess. I don't care about the personal lives of coaches or players. Yes, I'm a terrible person for that too I'm well aware.

He is a massive narcissist, I'd bet he doesn't regret his mistakes at Jax or tOSU because, in his mind, he didn't make any mistakes, others did, not him.

I don't think anything about Fox. I never mentioned them. Stuffing straw with that comment.

He's not a winner. Winners don't run when the going gets tough. He's a joke. He lost a ton of games at Jax St. and as soon as his teams started to trend downward at Florida and tOSU, he resigned citing health problems, lying through his teeth.

If he couldn't handle the pressure at Florida, tOSU and Jax Jags, what makes you think he could handle the pressure at Auburn.  It is arguable that the pressure cooker at Auburn is exponentially greater than those places.

Kirby and Saban would destroy him in negative recruiting.

You want this guy as your coach?

sadpizza_medium.gif

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Didba said:

He is a massive narcissist, I'd bet he doesn't regret his mistakes at Jax or tOSU because, in his mind, he didn't make any mistakes, others did, not him.

I don't think anything about Fox. I never mentioned them. Stuffing straw with that comment.

He's not a winner. He's a joke. He lost a ton of games at Jax St. and as soon as his teams started to trend downward at Florida and tOSU, he resigned citing health problems, lying through his teeth. If he couldn't handle the pressure at Florida, tOSU and Jax Jags, what makes you think he could handle the pressure at Auburn.  It is arguable that the pressure cooker at Auburn is exponentially greater than those places.

sadpizza_medium.gif

Lol Jesus dude. Didn't realize you were his therapist. Ok Urban bad. Got it.

What does stuffing straw mean? lmao I was just making a comparison

19 minutes ago, Didba said:

He's not a winner. He's a joke. He lost a ton of games at Jax St. and as soon as his teams started to trend downward at Florida and tOSU, he resigned citing health problems, lying through his teeth. If he couldn't handle the pressure at Florida, tOSU and Jax Jags, what makes you think he could handle the pressure at Auburn.  It is arguable that the pressure cooker at Auburn is exponentially greater than those places.

sadpizza_medium.gif

Hey may be a lot of things but to say he is not a winner well that’s not true. He has won everywhere except Jacksonville. Like Spurrier and Saban before him maybe he needs to stick to the college game, because they failed miserably there also. Hell if we are considering Freeze who not consider Urban?

15 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Hey may be a lot of things but to say he is not a winner well that’s not true. He has won everywhere except Jacksonville. Like Spurrier and Saban before him maybe he needs to stick to the college game, because they failed miserably there also. Hell if we are considering Freeze who not consider Urban?

The only reason he can be viewed as a winner at tOSU/Florida is because he tucked tail and ran the moment he realized his teams were trending down.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

The only reason he can be viewed as a winner at tOSU/Florida is because he tucked tail and ran the moment he realized his teams were trending down.

His teams did not trend down, Day has picked up right where he left off, and if UF had not botched his replacement they could have still been winning today. Yes the man is a pompous a hole. But he can coach and win in college football, plus I can see Tebow just gushing about the hire on SEC network lol.

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

His teams did not trend down, Day has picked up right where he left off, and if UF had not botched his replacement they could have still been winning today. Yes the man is a pompous a hole. But he can coach and win in college football, plus I can see Tebow just gushing about the hire on SEC network lol.

Sure.

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. Meyer? Wow

Yeah, I don’t get it.  He has had success.  But it’s a hard pass for me.  I don’t think he has the drive to do it at this level anymore.   He’s backed out a few times already!    And I don’t think he would be a good fit at AU anyway.  

I can't say I have been great about reading every thread about who we all want for the next head coach, but I have a few thoughts. I am going to start with my top two choices I don't think will happen. Aranda and Stoops.

Aranda. The first thing is that I think the 12 team playoff we are moving to is actually going to hurt us when it comes to getting another coach right now. I am not sure if this has been said, but any coach that is currently successful at a decent program knows that they can stay where they are and have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs pretty regularly. This is what crosses my mind for coaches like Aranda at Baylor. Why would he be interested in coming to fix Auburn when he can stay at Baylor and pretty much rule what is left of the Big 12 after Texas and Oklahoma are gone?

Stoops. The other side I think of is money. I know Auburn has a lot of money to throw around on coaches, but we are still paying Gus I am fairly certain. We will also be on the line for a fairly decent sized buyout for Harsin as well if we fire him soon. Stoops is a name I like, but he is going to make $6.75 million this year and $8 million in his last year of 2027. What kind of offer would we have to make to get him to Auburn? Its not going to be cheap and I don't know if Auburn will want to pay that much to get him.

In my mind, that leaves us with trying to pick a coach from smaller conference again and hoping they are a diamond in the rough, look for a good coordinator and give them a shot at their first HC job, or go to the NFL. I don't love any of those options necessarily, but I from my perspective that seems to be where we are. I am not a fan of going for another HC from a smaller conference again (I could be wrong to feel that way) and I don't know the NFL coaches very well so that leaves me with coordinators who may be ready to make the leap to HC.

So all of that to say that I think Grimes is my realistic #1 choice at this moment. Grimes seems like a strong choice on that front even if he is not a super flashy or appealing choice. He could hopefully help with recruiting and especially with our OL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChristoThor said:

Aranda. The first thing is that I think the 12 team playoff we are moving to is actually going to hurt us when it comes to getting another coach right now. I am not sure if this has been said, but any coach that is currently successful at a decent program knows that they can stay where they are and have a pretty good shot at making the playoffs pretty regularly. This is what crosses my mind for coaches like Aranda at Baylor. Why would he be interested in coming to fix Auburn when he can stay at Baylor and pretty much rule what is left of the Big 12 after Texas and Oklahoma are gone?

I didn’t mention Aranda on my list because I don’t think it’s as likely for us to get him as the others on my list.   But it wouldn’t hurt to make the call.   I wouldn’t have though BK would’ve left ND to go to LSU, but here we are….

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUinMS9528 said:

I didn’t mention Aranda on my list because I don’t think it’s as likely for us to get him as the others on my list.   But it wouldn’t hurt to make the call.   I wouldn’t have though BK would’ve left ND to go to LSU, but here we are….

That is a fair point. It could still be possible, but I don't really see it. If I could have my way though, I would like to be greedy and get Aranda and Grimes as OC.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Grimes has recruited for Auburn and recruited well. He has a lot of experience but we could likely get him easier than some of the head coaches. He doesn't come with the immediate baggage of a Freeze or Meyer, he's smart and seems like a relationship builder and I trust him to bring in good coaches to help him. 

#1-Grimes.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ChristoThor said:

That is a fair point. It could still be possible, but I don't really see it. If I could have my way though, I would like to be greedy and get Aranda and Grimes as OC.

If we somehow got Aranda, Grimes would be the next HC in Waco.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If we somehow got Aranda, Grimes would be the next HC in Waco.

28 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

We shooting to high…probably gonna be Clay Helton or Kevin Steele type.

See, this is why I think we should just go after Georgia’s assistants—Monken for HC and Dell for OC. Or, Dell for HC and Searels for OC.

Grimes and Sanders *would be* my top two, but there is a very good possibility that Aranda is going to Nebraska and that Sanders is staying. 

So because GT is also going to be competing with us for TM or DM, I think we might want to hedge our bets. If we put in the same amount of effort as the bugs do then we should be able to beat them out. But if we aim high for JG and DS and let the bugs scoop them up, then we may very well be forced to settle for a Helton or Steele (in fairness, I would put Freeze or even TWill a peg higher but still).

Now if GT gets Chadwell, consider this concern null and void.

Edited by AUwent

Grimes doesn't have any experience at being a head coach. He's a decent number 2 but not a head coach. I wouldn't want him anywhere near this program as a head coach. He also may be selfish

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 3

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Grimes doesn't have any experience at being a head coach. He's a decent number 2 but not a head coach. I wouldn't want him anywhere near this program as a head coach. He also may be selfish

Where have you heard that?

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2022 at 2:13 PM, DAG said:

Pretty sure we have a thread with a poll

for this…

We do at least some of the top names and an other category that people can state their own selections - https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/183471-poll-who-do-you-want-to-see-replace-cbh/

Pretty much a toss up at this point, no clear leader of the pack...

Edited by bishoptf

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You’re supporting Deion for the HC role but you’re concerned that Grimes may be too selfish?

The ‘No HC experience’ concern is legitimate, but IMO he’s our best bet.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He also may be selfish

I agree with majority of what you said but where is this coming from?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PoetTiger said:

But Deion (not even 3 full years of college coaching experience) would knock it out of the park here. Weird!

38 minutes ago, AUwent said:

See, this is why I think we should just go after Georgia’s assistants—Monken for HC and Dell for OC. Or, Dell for HC and Searels for OC.

Grimes and Sanders *would be* my top two, but there is a very good possibility that Aranda is going to Nebraska and that Sanders is staying. 

So because GT is also going to be competing with us for TM or DM, I think we might want to hedge our bets. If we put in the same amount of effort as the bugs do then we should be able to beat them out. But if we aim high for JG and DS and let the bugs scoop them up, then we may very well be forced to settle for a Helton or Steele (in fairness, I would put Freeze or even TWill a peg higher but still).

Now if GT gets Chadwell, consider this concern null and void.

If Grimes is your first choice, go after him.  We can absolutely outbid Baylor for his services if Aranda were to go to Nebraska.

• Like 1