Who is your #1?

AUinMS9528

27 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Grimes is high on lists of Auburn fans bc the Auburn connection makes him more realistic than most, but people don’t want Grimes purely (or primarily) bc of Auburn ties. It’s asinine to consider that a JABA hire, and it’s even wilder to compare it to hiring Chizik, who had one of the worst HC starts a HC could have when we plucked him. The Malzahn comparison is much more valid 

Was gonna say something very similar 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Harsin with a fully funded NIL is my #1 choice. The same folks screaming Malzahn left us w/ nothing also scream Harsin's 3-1 needs style points with Malzahns O line. This thread screams spoiled child immediate gratification.

Harsin needs to learn how to manage a game.  That's where he has lost me.

We lost at least 2 games last year because of really bad game management decisions and should have lost last week because of another one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Baylor plays a very good Oklahoma State team at 2:30 this Saturday.  Watch some of that game and you may change your tune a bit.

I like this. Point us to your guy, before it happens, and let's see what shakes out. That's how you do it. 

From a guy who's middle of the road on Grimes. 

• Like 1

Grimes followed by Deion is my theoretical first choice, my practical first choice is:

HC—Monken

OC—McGee

DC—Muschamp/TWill

Edited by AUwent

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I guess you don’t remember how much the media in Miami HATED Saban and his demeaning & degrading interviews? He even stepped over a player that was having a seizure and walked away disgusted. 

His NFL career was a disaster before he came back to college. Pro Football isn’t for some people. Urban Meyer is a college coach that has tried to bounce around different places, but I believe he has one last stop to make. I just hope it’s Auburn.

Saban didn't actively help a coach try to cover up beating his wife.  You support a coach that does this?

41 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Grimes is my theoretical first choice, my practical first choice is:

HC—Monken

OC—McGee

DC—Muschamp/TWill

I’ve seen Monken thrown around a few times. Guy has been around football forever and has done some amazing things. If we could get McGee and Muschamp or someone of similar caliber under him I wouldn’t hate it.

• Like 1

What I want to see from whoever is hired is during the initial press conference to address the two elephants in the room, recruiting against Alabama and Georgia.  I want to hear them say that auburn needs to win the battle on the recruiting field between those two, and that that will be his focus day in and day out.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Harsin needs to learn how to manage a game.  That's where he has lost me.

We lost at least 2 games last year because of really bad game management decisions and should have lost last week because of another one.

And make adjustments in the second half. Since the Arkansas game last year look how mnay points Auburn has scored in the second half against P5 teams Hell, I'll include Houston because they're about to be P5

@ Ark - 24 

vs Ole Miss - 3

@ TAMU - 0

vs MSU - 6 

@ USC - 3

vs Bama - 3

vs Houston - 10

vs PSU - 6

vs Mizzou - 0

TWICE Auburn has scored ZERO points in the second half under Harsin. How is that even possible in modern football? Absolute garbage. They just quit after halftime. If there was even a minimal effort to switch things up, I see 4 almost definite wins including Alabama.

• Like 3

So I’m sure I’ve said different in another thread but after thinking through what the program NEEDS desperately I have my number #1.

#1 - Coach Deion “Prime Time” Sanders.

Why? Number one. Deion has been around football for at least 40 years dating back to Highschool. He has been a player or coach at every level. He has a network that he can tapped into of players and coaches that would make Nick Saban blush. Not to mention his media connections. Does this automatically make him a great coach? Nope. Has he proven it at an SEC level? Nope. However, the mans network is so vast and he is definitely willing to use it as shown by his staff at JSU. I have no doubt that his FLOOR for OC/DC would be McGee/Muschamp. Second, we have a branding problem. Im the media and with players. We aren’t seen as a destination for O-line, QB’s, or WR that want to be in the league. On top of that our brand isn’t drawing NIL dollars like it should be. Deion can play the media game. Twelve year olds know about JSU and Coach Prime. Think about that. JSU is getting as much media attention as P5 programs. Third, recruiting. This goes back to branding in a sense. More NIL dollars? Check. Bigger brand in media. Check. A guy who has been to the league and will hire staff that can get you to the league. Check. A guy that can help you as a player build your brand. Check. Also anyone who says “these young guys don’t care about or know who Deion Sanders is” is kidding themselves. Everyone who has ever played a down football knows who Prime Time is. If that legend walks into your living room and says “Come play for my team” you are at least considering it. “He recruited one 5 star” at JSU. That doesn’t happen in the modern era. 

TLDR; He won’t be a detriment to X’s and O’s. He will assemble a killer staff. He will build a brand for AU and it’s players. We will immediately start winning recruiting battles against Alabama and UGA. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, hogmen said:

i wouild at least call sam pittman   turning arkansas from 2-10 to 9-4  in 2 years is amazing   

Pass on him for HC, but I’d love to have a nice cold beer with him.

10 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Pass on him for HC, but I’d love to have a nice cold beer with him.

Which is interesting and I’ve had thought about this. No one has really mentioned Sam Pittman but they want all the Sam Pittman examples.

Edited by DAG

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Saban didn't actively help a coach try to cover up beating his wife.  You support a coach that does this?

That definitely seems to be the case. We each one gotta figure where our “no way” lines are. I think mine lies with you on this one. I am also not there on Freeze because if recent phone issues not bc of time past phone issues.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 10:18 PM, AcUmen said:

Dave Aranda should be #1 on the list for a number of reasons:

• As DC, Aranda made Utah State a top 15 defense in every category in his one and only season.  This made him a Broyles finalist.
  • His next stop was Wisconsin and he had a top 10 defense all three of his seasons there.
  • His next stop was LSU and he had a top 10 defense his first two seasons. 
  • LSU gave him a new contract and made him the highest paid assistant in America at the time ($2.5 million a year).
  • Aranda was DC for the 2019 LSU NC team.
  • His next stop was as Baylor's head coach.
  • In his 2nd year at Baylor he went 12-2, won the Big-12, and held Kiffin to 7 points in the Sugar Bowl.  His team is 3-1 this season (lost in OT to BYU) and has a big game this weekend vs. Okie State.
  • Aranda is widely respected in the coaching ranks - there would be no snickering by rival coaches if AU hired him.
  • Except for perhaps Meyer, I think Aranda is the best pure football coach that I have seen listed as a candidate.
  • Unlike many names I see, Aranda is a realistic hire.  It would take money, but I think he would leave Baylor with the right contract (and assurances of no meddling). 
  • Aranda is still young at age 45.

So Aranda has everything I would want: SEC experience, head coaching experience, a good age, and a lot of success both as DC and HC.  In my opinion, AU should throw the bank at him and make him say no.  If he does, he does.  But they have to try.

I can’t disagree with any of this - I would be on-board with an Aranda hire. I just think it’s going to be hard to pull him to Auburn with our image right now. Unless we bring Baylor’s AD (which isn’t likely), then I don’t see this happening. But yes, I believe he’s the best pure coach we can hire right now.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I absolutely do not support that behavior. Meyer made a big mistake, and that’s why I believe he doesn’t want that to be his legacy, just like Pearl didn’t want lying to the SEC & NCAA to be his legacy. 

For the record, I’m highly conservative and I doubt any one on this board believes what I do religiously, spiritually and morally. There’s no coach that we’re going to hire that is going to share my beliefs. But I’m not looking for a gospel preacher. I can separate religion from football. There’s no points for being the most ethical, religious, and moral coach.

This is football and we play to win. We play to win National Championships. As long as Urban Meyer doesn’t do anything that’s illegal and assures the PTB that he’s learned from his mistakes and he isn’t going to do anything to embarrass the University, then I believe he’s the best option available.

The real question is can he continue to have the same success he did at his previous stops with his baggage. Can he continue to go into living rooms and convince the best talent to come and play for him. I believe that he can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I absolutely do not support that behavior. Meyer made a big mistake, and that’s why I believe he doesn’t want that to be his legacy, just like Pearl didn’t want lying to the SEC & NCAA to be his legacy. 

For the record, I’m highly conservative and I doubt any one on this board believes what I do religiously, spiritually and morally. There’s no coach that we’re going to hire that is going to share my beliefs. But I’m not looking for a gospel preacher. I can separate religion from football. There’s no points for being the most ethical, religious, and moral coach.

This is football and we play to win. We play to win National Championships. As long as Urban Meyer doesn’t do anything that’s illegal and assures the PTB that he’s learned from his mistakes and he isn’t going to do anything to embarrass the University, then I believe he’s the best option available.

The real question is can he continue to have the same success he did at his previous stops with his baggage. Can he continue to go into living rooms and convince the best talent to come and play for him. I believe that he can.

Pearl can't be compared to Meyer.  It is two completely different levels.  Meyer has shown at every stop he will not change.  Putting aside our basic morals like not beating women to win championships is not acceptable.  The thing is if you want to hire him you support his actions enough to look the other way.  That will also be what we are teaching our recruits what is allowed.  Urban did just that at Florida.

It's like, would you let a person convicted of child molestation adopt a little girl?  Or let a person convicted of dog fighting adopt a dog?  Some things you cannot overlook, especially if the person has been given multiple chances.

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I can’t disagree with any of this - I would be on-board with an Aranda hire. I just think it’s going to be hard to pull him to Auburn with our image right now. Unless we bring Baylor’s AD (which isn’t likely), then I don’t see this happening. But yes, I believe he’s the best pure coach we can hire right now.

Exactly why I don’t put him on my list. Him and Lane aren’t realistically IMO.

I truly think it will be between Sanders , Grimes and Freeze.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I don’t play the moral card because every person on this board has openly transgressed on this board. Who knows what these people do in their private lives. With that being said I don’t want UM. If he were to be hired just like Grimes who I have respect for but am not excited for at the least bit, I will support him till don’t anymore. 

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Pearl can't be compared to Meyer.  It is two completely different levels.  Meyer has shown at every stop he will not change.  Putting aside our basic morals like not beating women to win championships is not acceptable.  The thing is if you want to hire him you support his actions enough to look the other way.  That will also be what we are teaching our recruits what is allowed.  Urban did just that at Florida.

It's like, would you let a person convicted of child molestation adopt a little girl?  Or let a person convicted of dog fighting adopt a dog?  Some things you cannot overlook, especially if the person has been given multiple chances.

These comparisons are bit extreme, don’t you think?   Comparing a coach to not saying or taking additional action on reported behavior by an employee to a convicted criminal is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.   And then to compare  that  criminal behavior with connections to said activity, that’s absolutely crazy.  Where did UM commit a crime?   

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

He can get everything he wants where he is (playoff) without going up against recruiting in SEC. No way he comes.  We have to find someone that is needs a step up. He doesn’t.

• Thanks 1

Urban is a horrible human being, that’s probably past his prime in terms of caring about coaching the way he did (I think that was evidenced towards the end of his OSU tenure, not Jacksonville). That being said, someone is going to push heavily for him this cycle. That is the unfortunate nature of the beast 

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

He can get everything he wants where he is (playoff) without going up against recruiting in SEC. No way he comes.  We have to find someone that is needs a step up. He doesn’t.

Aranda is the kind of guy that wants a shot at winning the national title.  He's not getting that at Baylor, especially with the realignments coming.  Baylor is going to lose out on the money game in a hurry.

He'll move to the SEC or Big 10 at some point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Aranda is the kind of guy that wants a shot at winning the national title.  He's not getting that at Baylor, especially with the realignments coming.  Baylor is going to lose out on the money game in a hurry.

He'll move to the SEC or Big 10 at some point.

I think Baylor will always wind up with an avenue to 12 team playoff.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

These comparisons are bit extreme, don’t you think?   Comparing a coach to not saying or taking additional action on reported behavior by an employee to a convicted criminal is a bit of a stretch in my opinion.   And then to compare  that  criminal behavior with connections to said activity, that’s absolutely crazy.  Where did UM commit a crime?   

Personally, I don't think it is more extreme than saying Urban should be our head coach.  If you knew a coach of yours was abusing his wife and ignored it because he was a good football coach, it is the same thing.  Not only that, but guide him on how to hide the evidence by deleting text messages.  That's why you can be charged as an accessory.  If someone allows it to happen, they condone it.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Personally, I don't think it is more extreme than saying Urban should be our head coach.  If you knew a coach of yours was abusing his wife and ignored it because he was a good football coach, it is the same thing.  Not only that, but guide him on how to hide the evidence by deleting text messages.  That's why you can be charged as an accessory.  If someone allows it to happen, they condone it.

Even though I would not personally support this hire for stated reasons, if he can coach in NFL, and have an analyst job after these problems the poor optics can obviously be overcome.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:58 AM, woodford said:

And make adjustments in the second half. Since the Arkansas game last year look how mnay points Auburn has scored in the second half against P5 teams Hell, I'll include Houston because they're about to be P5

@ Ark - 24 

vs Ole Miss - 3

@ TAMU - 0

vs MSU - 6 

@ USC - 3

vs Bama - 3

vs Houston - 10

vs PSU - 6

vs Mizzou - 0

TWICE Auburn has scored ZERO points in the second half under Harsin. How is that even possible in modern football? Absolute garbage. They just quit after halftime. If there was even a minimal effort to switch things up, I see 4 almost definite wins including Alabama.

Hard to argue numbers. If I didn't see it in black and white, I would say it's not true.  That's how bad those numbers are

Edited by NWALA Tiger