Who is your #1?

AUinMS9528

43 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Urban is a horrible human being, that’s probably past his prime in terms of caring about coaching the way he did (I think that was evidenced towards the end of his OSU tenure, not Jacksonville). That being said, someone is going to push heavily for him this cycle. That is the unfortunate nature of the beast 

Freeze -> Urban -> Gruden -> Deal with Satan

It’d be interesting to see how far some would go 😋

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Hard to argue numbers. If I didn't see it in black and white, I would say it's not true.  That's how bad those numbers are

You can interpret those numbers anyway you want. Bo played in some of those games and some he did not. It comes down to piss poor adjustments because we have a HC who cannot hang in this conference because he's not good enough or smart enough.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:18 PM, AcUmen said:

Dave Aranda should be #1 on the list for a number of reasons:

• As DC, Aranda made Utah State a top 15 defense in every category in his one and only season.  This made him a Broyles finalist.
  • His next stop was Wisconsin and he had a top 10 defense all three of his seasons there.
  • His next stop was LSU and he had a top 10 defense his first two seasons. 
  • LSU gave him a new contract and made him the highest paid assistant in America at the time ($2.5 million a year).
  • Aranda was DC for the 2019 LSU NC team.
  • His next stop was as Baylor's head coach.
  • In his 2nd year at Baylor he went 12-2, won the Big-12, and held Kiffin to 7 points in the Sugar Bowl.  His team is 3-1 this season (lost in OT to BYU) and has a big game this weekend vs. Okie State.
  • Aranda is widely respected in the coaching ranks - there would be no snickering by rival coaches if AU hired him.
  • Except for perhaps Meyer, I think Aranda is the best pure football coach that I have seen listed as a candidate.
  • Unlike many names I see, Aranda is a realistic hire.  It would take money, but I think he would leave Baylor with the right contract (and assurances of no meddling). 
  • Aranda is still young at age 45.

So Aranda has everything I would want: SEC experience, head coaching experience, a good age, and a lot of success both as DC and HC.  In my opinion, AU should throw the bank at him and make him say no.  If he does, he does.  But they have to try.

I would like Dave Aranda. I'm not crazy about hiring a defensive guy in this era so he would have to bring Grimes in or someone with his caliber. 

The litmus test should be, "Will this hire give Kirby or Saban fits on defense?" I think he could. I obviously trust his defense but again he would have to bring Grimes or someone similar with him.

From first glance his best recruiting class is 38th which is meh but Baylor currently sits at 20th.

That being said, Aranda would be a fool to leave Baylor. With UT and OU leaving he could own that conference but that's just my two cents.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Even though I would not personally support this hire for stated reasons, if he can coach in NFL, and have an analyst job after these problems the poor optics can obviously be overcome.

I don't think the NFL is a good litmus test for that considering various offenses players have undertaken and still allowed to play.

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I think Baylor will always wind up with an avenue to 12 team playoff.

Making the playoff and winning it are two very different conversations.  He isn't winning it at Baylor.

• Like 1

Stoops is 1st

Okay, so why even hire someone from outside the SEC?  We have been taking Bama's and UGA's coordinators and head coaches for like 100 years.

Let’s just keep going that way okay? Hiring within the SEC is definitely the way to go.  But…

Lane is a douche

Prime time is the same – See the 1989 Sugar Dowl where he cheated, and we lost…

Muschamp? – total douche - yells to much like an idiot.

WDE

On 9/28/2022 at 10:18 PM, AcUmen said:

Aranda is still young at age 45

As a 45 year old, myself, this is my favorite comment in your post.  😁

I like Aranda a lot!   I didn’t mention him in my list because I didn’t think he was a very realistic hire.   But it would definitely be worth a call to see if we could make him interested $!

• Love 1

Took this from another...

Grimes has 22 blue chips to his name as a position coach or coordinator only, while at Auburn, LSU, BYU, and Baylor. 

Kirby Smart has 38 while at LSU, Alabama, and UGA

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Took this from another...

Grimes has 22 blue chips to his name as a position coach or coordinator only, while at Auburn, LSU, BYU, and Baylor. 

Kirby Smart has 38 while at LSU, Alabama, and UGA

Data us definitely interesting, but Kirby definitely had a better recruiting package, due to HC.

I’m feeling better and better about Kiffin. He’s coached at big programs (not always successfully, but more so lately), coached with big-time coaches, and has surely matured and learned a lot along the way. His dad was a solid DC, has lived football from the beginning. He can recruit in the SEC, killed the portal (in a good way) this past offseason, and could work with Robby Ashford. I could be wrong, but I also believe Kiffin’s Ole Miss leads the SEC in rushing. Kiffin would have good offensive weapons at AU with an athletic QB and good running backs, and surely could attract more OL and WR talent.

Having worked with/for Saban and Smart, he would know their tricks and could recruit against them. Besides his play-calling ability, I think this is his biggest upside against our rivals. I think this would almost immediately put us in the same stratosphere coaching-wise as Bama/UGA, obviously not with titles, but coaching/play-calling ability and reputation. Then there’s the juicy details of these guys having played for the same team at the same time, and they would then (in the possible/theoretical future) now be coaching against one another…I think that means something. 

What I dislike most about Kiffin is the fake injuries (last season). Also I’m a stats/data guy, but I think he needs more discernment with when to punt/kick/go for it, rather than blindly looking at a book. That cost him in some games last season, including the game against us, I believe.

RGIII just said the QB that reminds him the most of himself was Robby Ashford. Take an offseason of coaching for RA with Kiffin, plundering the portal, and establishing an offensive line, offense, and offensive identity with his system, and we could be back in the top 25, and maybe even top 10, in 1-2 seasons. 

SEC experience? Check. Solid recruiter? Check, definitely in the portal. Big-time experience? Check (conference/natl title coaching for the bammers). We already lost out on Kirby from several years ago, we have the opportunity again now with Kiffin, I believe, and shouldn’t choke on this one. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/which-qb-reminds-rgiii-of-himself-rgiii-has-a-surprising-sec-answer/

image.png

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 3

After watching the Ole Miss vs Kentucky game I would love to have either Kiffin or Stoops if either one would consider coming to Auburn.  Both have recruited and developed complete teams that I think are Top 10 caliber.    I still think Kiffin has the biggest upside because of the way he has utilized the portal and his offense is more dynamic.  Plus he gets under Saban’s skin.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

After watching the Ole Miss vs Kentucky game I would love to have either Kiffin or Stoops if either one would consider coming to Auburn.  Both have recruited and developed complete teams that I think are Top 10 caliber.    I still think Kiffin has the biggest upside because of the way he has utilized the portal and his offense is more dynamic.  Plus he gets under Saban’s skin.  

He sure comes off as a “butt” though.

14 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

He sure comes off as a “butt” though.

Considering who hed be following, I think he gets a pass.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Agreed. I think he’s grown up and he’s been back in SEC for years now. I think recruits would respond to him, but he would need to hire a very experienced DC, because OM is not necessarily a top defensive unit. 

• Like 2