NIL: Auburn football's deals are double the national average

cbo

Maybe some positive news for once. I'm not sure how they collected the data or validated the accuracy of these numbers, but this article indicates that the new NIL collective is more effective than it's predecessors. 

It also gives a comparison to other schools:

"The national average for NIL payments for a college football player is currently about $3,400 a month. The average amount being paid out to Auburn’s football players is now $7,400 a month in NIL deals."

Thought it was worth posting since many of us have asked this question before. 

https://www.si.com/college/auburn/football/nil-auburn-footballs-deals-are-double-the-national-average

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, cbo said:

NIL payments for a college football player is currently about $3,400 a month

Is this for P5, G5, FCS included?    That statement is too vague for credibility. And if the average NIL deal at AU is $7400/mo., thats $89k/yr.  Not bad for a high school grad. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1auburn1 said:

Is this for P5, G5, FCS included?    That statement is too vague for credibility. And if the average NIL deal at AU is $7400/mo., thats $89k/yr.  Not bad for a high school grad. 

Good questions. As I tried to suggest in the OP, I have issues with this article and its methodology, as well. But it's interesting. 

I also immediately did the math, haha. $89K/yr is not bad at all for a high school grad. I would love to know how much those numbers are skewed by a few highly compensated athletes. What are most players actually receiving? Not the average calculated across all players. And are the guys at the bottom of the roster getting anything? I'm just curious. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1auburn1 said:

Yeah, it just seems like a mediocre article that is too light on details. 

Absolutely. But it's also the most detailed we have seen yet. 

What I really want to see is the NIL dollars for each SEC school. And then a breakout by player. Maybe that will never be available. 

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Good questions. As I tried to suggest in the OP, I have issues with this article and its methodology, as well. But it's interesting. 

I also immediately did the math, haha. $89K/yr is not bad at all for a high school grad. I would love to know how much those numbers are skewed by a few highly compensated athletes. What are most players actually receiving? Not the average calculated across all players. And are the guys at the bottom of the roster getting anything? I'm just curious. 

Yeah, no kidding! That's like 20-25 more than your average entry level salary in a city not named NYC, SF, or LA.

That's incredible considering they only "work" 4 months a year. Even if it's skewed, that's still a great deal. If you live on campus, then you basically have no living expenses. Imagine coming out of college with 6 figures in the bank instead of 6 figures in debt.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, woodford said:

Yeah, no kidding! That's like 20-25 more than your average entry level salary in a city not named NYC, SF, or LA.

That's incredible considering they only "work" 4 months a year. Even if it's skewed, that's still a great deal. If you live on campus, then you basically have no living expenses. Imagine coming out of college with 6 figures in the bank instead of 6 figures in debt.

It's huge. And I think much deserved, considering the money they produce for so many other people. I do think they work more than 4 months a year. 

Whether the money is being distributed fairly is anybody's guess. 

10 hours ago, cbo said:

It's huge. And I think much deserved, considering the money they produce for so many other people. I do think they work more than 4 months a year. 

Whether the money is being distributed fairly is anybody's guess. 

Anyone should be able to give money as a gift to whoever they want. That's my argument for paying players and always has been. You're probably right I just personally don't think of an NFL player as "working" in March while they're in a strength and conditioning program. They're preparing for work but that's neither here nor there.

I still can't wrap my head around 89K a year lol

• Like 1

Which is why it's funny when people say the problem is NIL. No it's not, we have the other stuff that needs to be addressed and until it is plan on being mediocre. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

I just personally don't think of an NFL player as "working" in March while they're in a strength and conditioning program. They're preparing for work but that's neither here nor there.

That is very much work.

When you have a presentation for your job in 2 weeks and you're prepping for that is that not considered working? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, woodford said:

Every OL signee should get 75K. Don’t care how it’s funded. It needs to happen. 

Yeap. Worked out well for Texas. Took one class to get their O-line fixed.

15 hours ago, 1auburn1 said:

Yeah, it just seems like a mediocre article that is too light on details. 

A Zac Blackerby fluff piece trying to deflect Harsins recruiting failures on to NIL issues.

Edited by CR

6 hours ago, StuckMic91 said:

Yeap. Worked out well for Texas. Took one class to get their O-line fixed.

Texas' O-line was good enough to lose to Texas Tech. Of course, Texas has been losing around 5 games a year since 2009, so maybe that's got nothing to do with O-line recruiting.

22 hours ago, cbo said:

Absolutely. But it's also the most detailed we have seen yet. 

What I really want to see is the NIL dollars for each SEC school. And then a breakout by player. Maybe that will never be available. 

I'd like to see that as well and also with a breakdown of how much each individual sport is paying out for NIL.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Doesn't really matter what the national average is.  What matters is a direct comparison to Bama and UGA.

Well, we know a rough comparison to all 3 program's annual recruiting budgets and we are waaayyyyy behind (million$) them. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Texas' O-line was good enough to lose to Texas Tech. Of course, Texas has been losing around 5 games a year since 2009, so maybe that's got nothing to do with O-line recruiting.

Just watching this year they look miles better and that’s with two true freshman on the line. Didn’t watch the game but I assume the two turnovers had more to do with their loss. I do know in the Alabama game they basically deleted Alabama’s D-line in the passing game. 31 was nowhere to be found most of the game. They need work in the run game but I would take their line over ours in a heartbeat.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

That is very much work.

When you have a presentation for your job in 2 weeks and you're prepping for that is that not considered working? 

God, I didn't think this had to be explained to grown ups. Preparation is like 50% of my job. And me preparing adequately has a direct reflection on how well I do my job. 

• Thanks 2

On 9/29/2022 at 9:08 AM, icanthearyou said:

Doesn't really matter what the national average is.  What matters is a direct comparison to Bama and UGA.

I was thinking something close to that as well.   How do we compare to the SEC?