Candidates No One Mentioned

AUght2win

Last go around, absolutely nobody thought Harsin was in the running for our HC. This time, the board and fans has already narrowed our pool to essentially Grimes, Deion, Stoops, Freeze, Kiffin, and a few others.

Let me throw out a few names nobody is mentioning. Not necessarily my first choice, but interested to see how you guys would feel about these overlooked candidates. I’ll throw in some background too since there’s probably less familiarity with some of these. 

1. Dave Doeren - HC NC State: I think this guy could be a sneaky good candidate. Guy is already the 2nd winningest coach in school history. Has more 8+ win seasons than any coach in school history. After his first year, he’s only had a single losing season. Having the Wolfpack up in the Top 10 is rare. He’s also had 3 first round picks in his tenure there (of players he recruited), Gus had two over the same time frame.

C0C7BABF-75CE-468D-AC9B-F097CB124ED1.thumb.jpeg.b7fdca9f2f1241a222b76688eeb7e4d5.jpeg

2. Baby Briles - OC at Arkansas: Young guy. Great offensive mind. Has helped engineer the Hogs turnaround. Big time Texas background with lots of time in Florida as well. Offense averaged 25 PPG his first year at Arky. 31 PPG last year. 33 this year.

3. Jamey Chadwell - HC Coastal Carolina: Definitely doesn’t have big boy football experience. But this guy’s an impressive program builder and rebuilder. First HC gig was at D2 North Greenville. Inherited a 2-9 team. In year two he has them 9-3, then 11-3 the next season. At Charleston southern, he inherited a team that won 5 games in 2 years (including a winless season). His first year there he wins 10 games for the first time in school history. He goes 35-14 in 4 years there. Now he’s at FBS Coastal. The program went FBS in 2017. He took over in 2019. By year 2, the team was 11-1, including wins at Kansas, against #21 Louisiana, and #13 BYU. Last year 11-2. This year they’re undefeated. He’s got some sketchy NCAA stuff but that may not matter in the age of NIL.

FC9B99E5-15FB-4881-972D-2A6702E83D62.thumb.jpeg.560da2c83c85556ab1d941d629b96138.jpeg

4. Dameyune Craig - QB coach TAMU: Wouldn’t this be wild? I have no idea if Dame wants to be a head coach. But for those who want elite recruiting, this would be a hire hard to beat for Auburn. A guy who knows this conference and is a die hard AU guy. My favorite player growing up. Honestly, I’d love this but it could also be seen as the epitome of JABA. However, if he hired an amazing staff, maybe it’s dynamite.

9DAF2A7E-F4B1-422A-974C-6EE88609482D.thumb.jpeg.b4b24687abcfff678e081cf11133bbad.jpeg

5. Chip Kelly - HC UCLA: The shine wore off Chip after rocky NFL stints and a slow start to his UCLA tenure. Well, it’s starting to turn around. I truly don’t know if he has the magic he had at Oregon anymore. But I think we’ll find out over the next few weeks. If UCLA wins 10 this year, Chip will suddenly become a hot candidate again. 

D94B9DB7-5295-4384-AC78-D199627F0C9D.thumb.jpeg.c6b020dec9cf16c06e9c0c166e22de9e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of that list, Doeren is the only one worth consideration to me.

Briles may be decent one day, but I need to see more.  That's like hiring Rhett Lashlee to me.

Its my understanding that DC has burned some serious bridges at Auburn.

Chadwell is a good program leader, but his offense would not work in the SEC.  He'd do wonders somewhere like Ga Tech though that could use a different style offense to level the field a bit.

Chip Kelly?  Don't let that record fool you.  He's beaten no one of significance since being at UCLA.  Should have lost to South Alabama two weeks ago (got really lucky to win that game).

• Like 1

Now, if you want go off the beaten path a bit, I'd look hard at Ricky Rahne.  Long time James Franklin assistant going back to Vandy.  Went to PSU with Franklin.  Now HC at Old Dominion.  Still just 42 years old.

ODU is coming up from FCS and is more than holding their own.  Wins over Virginia Tech and App State this season already.  Solid football team that is getting better.

I'm in no way saying we should hire him.  But that's my "out of left field" name.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Of that list, Doeren is the only one worth consideration to me.

Briles may be decent one day, but I need to see more.  That's like hiring Rhett Lashlee to me.

Its my understanding that DC has burned some serious bridges at Auburn.

Chadwell is a good program leader, but his offense would not work in the SEC.  He'd do wonders somewhere like Ga Tech though that could use a different style offense to level the field a bit.

Chip Kelly?  Don't let that record fool you.  He's beaten no one of significance since being at UCLA.  Should have lost to South Alabama two weeks ago (got really lucky to win that game).

All true but I’m familiar with that UCLA program. It is HARD to win there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Last go around, absolutely nobody thought Harsin was in the running for our HC. This time, the board and fans has already narrowed our pool to essentially Grimes, Deion, Stoops, Freeze, Kiffin, and a few others.

Let me throw out a few names nobody is mentioning. Not necessarily my first choice, but interested to see how you guys would feel about these overlooked candidates. I’ll throw in some background too since there’s probably less familiarity with some of these. 

1. Dave Doeren - HC NC State: I think this guy could be a sneaky good candidate. Guy is already the 2nd winningest coach in school history. Has more 8+ win seasons than any coach in school history. After his first year, he’s only had a single losing season. Having the Wolfpack up in the Top 10 is rare. He’s also had 3 first round picks in his tenure there (of players he recruited), Gus had two over the same time frame.

C0C7BABF-75CE-468D-AC9B-F097CB124ED1.thumb.jpeg.b7fdca9f2f1241a222b76688eeb7e4d5.jpeg

2. Baby Briles - OC at Arkansas: Young guy. Great offensive mind. Has helped engineer the Hogs turnaround. Big time Texas background with lots of time in Florida as well. Offense averaged 25 PPG his first year at Arky. 31 PPG last year. 33 this year.

3. Jamey Chadwell - HC Coastal Carolina: Definitely doesn’t have big boy football experience. But this guy’s an impressive program builder and rebuilder. First HC gig was at D2 North Greenville. Inherited a 2-9 team. In year two he has them 9-3, then 11-3 the next season. At Charleston southern, he inherited a team that won 5 games in 2 years (including a winless season). His first year there he wins 10 games for the first time in school history. He goes 35-14 in 4 years there. Now he’s at FBS Coastal. The program went FBS in 2017. He took over in 2019. By year 2, the team was 11-1, including wins at Kansas, against #21 Louisiana, and #13 BYU. Last year 11-2. This year they’re undefeated. He’s got some sketchy NCAA stuff but that may not matter in the age of NIL.

FC9B99E5-15FB-4881-972D-2A6702E83D62.thumb.jpeg.560da2c83c85556ab1d941d629b96138.jpeg

4. Dameyune Craig - QB coach TAMU: Wouldn’t this be wild? I have no idea if Dame wants to be a head coach. But for those who want elite recruiting, this would be a hire hard to beat for Auburn. A guy who knows this conference and is a die hard AU guy. My favorite player growing up. Honestly, I’d love this but it could also be seen as the epitome of JABA. However, if he hired an amazing staff, maybe it’s dynamite.

9DAF2A7E-F4B1-422A-974C-6EE88609482D.thumb.jpeg.b4b24687abcfff678e081cf11133bbad.jpeg

5. Chip Kelly - HC UCLA: The shine wore off Chip after rocky NFL stints and a slow start to his UCLA tenure. Well, it’s starting to turn around. I truly don’t know if he has the magic he had at Oregon anymore. But I think we’ll find out over the next few weeks. If UCLA wins 10 this year, Chip will suddenly become a hot candidate again. 

D94B9DB7-5295-4384-AC78-D199627F0C9D.thumb.jpeg.c6b020dec9cf16c06e9c0c166e22de9e.jpeg

Of all of them I like the North Carolina state guy. Good list though. Would be interested in Chadwell but afraid of mainly non-power 5 guys after CBH. I know the optics are a tad bit different.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

After this last coaching search and hire, I’m a little skiddish of names out of left field no one has mentioned.  
OK, I’m very skiddish!😬

Of those, NCSU guy sounds interesting.    @bigbird, care to elaborate on some of the guys you mentioned?

Love the idea of Baby Briles. Auburn would never do this, but Art Briles would be bargain get. I wish our next HC would at least bring him in as OC. Don't believe the ESPN garbage. He was exonerated and was the victim of a media witch hunt.

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

@bigbird, care to elaborate on some of the guys you mentioned?

Had hand surgery yesterday so not gonna be typing much for a bit.  I linked their profiles. They're not in any particular order.

Traylor  

Lebby

Longo 

Klieman  

Elko 

Gattis

Take the time to read the profiles.  All are proven winners and would be worth a call 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Had hand surgery yesterday so not gonna be typing much for a bit.  I linked their profiles. They're not in any particular order.

Traylor  

Lebby

Longo 

Klieman  

Elko 

Gattis

Take the time to read the profiles.  All are proven winners and would be worth a call 

These are all solid! I like them all more than Kiffin imo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Me too

I'd be happy with one of them as HC and one being an OC. Don't think that would happen though. I can't see Lebby or Longo leaving for Auburn unless the HC is a big name. Both check the boxes for SEC recruiting experience.

I really want someone with serious offensive competence to take Holden under his wing. That dude throws a pretty ball. It cannot go to waste. I'm not a QB expert but crude judgement says he could have an NFL future.

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

A little surprised nobody has mentioned Rodney Garner.  Never been a coordinator or head coach, but has coached on SEC championship teams at three different schools, played and learned under Pat Dye and is a great recruiter.  Probably knows and has worked with more assistants in the SEC than anyone.  He would certainly know who to hire as coordinators and might just  be smart enough to just let them do their job.  I'm sure I'll be given a hundred reasons why this is a  bad idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there.   

• Like 4

That Brian Harsin guy had a great record at Boise State.  He beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl that time and he is supposed to be great at developing QBs.  Didn’t he coach Kellen Moore (current OC for the Dallas Cowboys)?  See how great it sounds when you only look at the positives of an outsider who has never coached in the SEC and has no recruiting connections in our area.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’d be more on this guy if he recruited better  At Minnesota but hard to not be impressed with PJ Fleck.  Sounds like he’d also do the things that would make the boosters happy like shake hands and kiss babies.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._J._Fleck

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Traylor  

Lebby

Longo 

Klieman  

Elko 

Gattis

@bigbirdHope your surgery went well and you are on the mend and hoping for a fast recovery..:) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The NC state guy would appear to be someone worth taken a look at but I think one thing we have learned is if they are to far removed from the SEC how quickly can they come in and build relationships and quickly recruit. That is at least for me why I would say no to a Chip Kelly or anyone that hasn't had any previous SEC experience etc, after Harsin I would really prefer someone that already has some SEC connections and can hit the ground running so to speak. 

47 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’d be more on this guy if he recruited better  At Minnesota but hard to not be impressed with PJ Fleck.  Sounds like he’d also do the things that would make the boosters happy like shake hands and kiss babies.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._J._Fleck

Fleck has done fairly well at Minnesota, but I don't think he would be the right choice. He seems like he would be another Harsin to me. Recruiting a bunch of "hardworking 3 stars" that are going to outwork everybody. That model doesn't work here. We need the elite talent. Maybe I am wrong. 

• Like 1

what is the deal with chadwell? man i love watching his teams play. talk about never giving up. why would he not be a great coach? not being smart i do not know.

• Like 1

I wanna see some actual offensive creativity. Seeing the plays the coaches were calling last week pissed me off. That was a worse display than Bobo even showed. 

So I wouldn’t be mad at a Chadwell hire

Edited by Sizzle
  • Like 3