Candidates No One Mentioned

AUght2win

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Fleck has done fairly well at Minnesota, but I don't think he would be the right choice. He seems like he would be another Harsin to me. Recruiting a bunch of "hardworking 3 stars" that are going to outwork everybody. That model doesn't work here. We need the elite talent. Maybe I am wrong. 

i get tired of his row the boat or whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, im4aual said:

A little surprised nobody has mentioned Rodney Garner.  Never been a coordinator or head coach, but has coached on SEC championship teams at three different schools, played and learned under Pat Dye and is a great recruiter.  Probably knows and has worked with more assistants in the SEC than anyone.  He would certainly know who to hire as coordinators and might just  be smart enough to just let them do their job.  I'm sure I'll be given a hundred reasons why this is a  bad idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there.   

Think about the "qualifications" that you just listed, and then consider that a school like Georgia Tech wouldn't even hire him as the HC. But you think it's a good idea for Auburn to do so? There is a reason why Garner hasn't become a DC let alone a HC. That also can't be the move after Gus and Harsin spiraling this program downwards.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty high on Jeff Grimes at this point, but I'm still fascinated by the ceiling Sanders presents if things were to click.  Obviously his HC resume leaves a lot to be desired, but his "related work experience" is second to none.  College football (polls and recruiting) is still a bit of a popularity contest.

That said, I read the title, but I've been mentioning Tucker since he took the job at Colorado.

Mel Tucker (HC Michigan State):  He's has coached for dink (several times) and Smart.  He also worked for Jim Tressel at OSU.  NFL experience, college HC experience, knows how to work the portal.  It's also worth mentioning his buyout is VERY coach-friendly.

Coaches I haven't seen mentioned this time around:

(Not actually hoping for these guys, but they're somewhat plausible.)

Mike Macdonald (DC Baltimore):  He grew up in Georgia (went to UGA) and spent seven years working his way up through the defensive coaching staff for the Ravens.  Was very highly regarded by the organization and was brought back this year as DC.  He was Michigan's DC last year when they went 12-2, finally beat OSU, and made the playoffs.  Might be nice to reunite him with Josh Gattis, the '21 Michigan OC.  He's young (35) and has a reputation for developing DBs and LBs.

Kevin Wilson (OC/TE Ohio State):  His coaching resume goes back to the mid-80's, but over the last twenty years he's been a WILDLY successful OC at Oklahoma and Ohio State.  He was HC at Indiana for a few years, and did well considering, but was fired being too much of a hardass.  His WR coach Brian Hartline is an elite coach and recruiter.

Further down the list:

Mike Locksley (HC Maryland):  He's probably exactly where he wants (needs) to be, and as a UMD alum I hope he sticks around, but he's turning around the listless Terps.  Injuries have derailed a few seasons, but when they're healthy they can be fun to watch.  Spent time in uat's coach rehabilitation camp and seems to have figured a few things out.

DeMeco Ryans (DC San Fransisco):  He's from Alabama, played at uat under Joe Kines (Shula).  Nine years as an NFL player, four as an assistant, in his second year as DC.  He's interviewed for HC jobs already and appears to be on the short list for near-future openings.  I imagine he could identify and recruit defensive talent regionally.

Ken Dorsey (OC Buffalo Bills):  I don't know that he's even interviewed for NFL HC jobs, but he's been Josh Allen's QB coach since 2019, so he can develop good into great.  And he hates poor clock management.

WDE!

• Like 1

I nominate @bigbird as HC and @cole256 as DC just so we could watch them argue on the sidelines...

Edited by Didba
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Why? We agree on almost everything on the field 

I didn't say y'all would be arguing about the play on the field...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Doeren is a quality coach, but did we really spend tens upon tens of millions to hire someone with a worse record than Gus?  Maybe we did.

At NC State, though. That’s a hard place to win.

4 hours ago, weagl1 said:

That Brian Harsin guy had a great record at Boise State.  He beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl that time and he is supposed to be great at developing QBs.  Didn’t he coach Kellen Moore (current OC for the Dallas Cowboys)?  See how great it sounds when you only look at the positives of an outsider who has never coached in the SEC and has no recruiting connections in our area.  

That was previously noted in this thread. Redundant comment.

3 hours ago, Didba said:

I nominate @bigbird as HC and @cole256 as DC just so we could watch them argue on the sidelines...

I'll be the NIL coordinator. I'm down with handling large sums of cash. I'll see to it that BB gets his cut, and Golf gets enough to shut him up on message boards. Cole's going to have to deliver on the 'crootin' trail before he gets anything though. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Golf can be the guy pulling on Birds belt keeping him back!!

Who needs an AD when Auburn has us putting together the dream staff!

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Golf can be the guy pulling on Birds belt keeping him back!!

Golf is too slow for that. I hear he runs about a 9.50 forty. BB's more like 7 flat. 

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Had hand surgery yesterday so not gonna be typing much for a bit.  I linked their profiles. They're not in any particular order.

Traylor  

Lebby

Longo 

Klieman  

Elko 

Gattis

Take the time to read the profiles.  All are proven winners and would be worth a call 

Klieman would certainly be in my top 5

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

I'm pretty high on Jeff Grimes at this point, but I'm still fascinated by the ceiling Sanders presents if things were to click.  Obviously his HC resume leaves a lot to be desired, but his "related work experience" is second to none.  College football (polls and recruiting) is still a bit of a popularity contest.

That said, I read the title, but I've been mentioning Tucker since he took the job at Colorado.

Mel Tucker (HC Michigan State):  He's has coached for dink (several times) and Smart.  He also worked for Jim Tressel at OSU.  NFL experience, college HC experience, knows how to work the portal.  It's also worth mentioning his buyout is VERY coach-friendly.

Coaches I haven't seen mentioned this time around:

(Not actually hoping for these guys, but they're somewhat plausible.)

Mike Macdonald (DC Baltimore):  He grew up in Georgia (went to UGA) and spent seven years working his way up through the defensive coaching staff for the Ravens.  Was very highly regarded by the organization and was brought back this year as DC.  He was Michigan's DC last year when they went 12-2, finally beat OSU, and made the playoffs.  Might be nice to reunite him with Josh Gattis, the '21 Michigan OC.  He's young (35) and has a reputation for developing DBs and LBs.

Kevin Wilson (OC/TE Ohio State):  His coaching resume goes back to the mid-80's, but over the last twenty years he's been a WILDLY successful OC at Oklahoma and Ohio State.  He was HC at Indiana for a few years, and did well considering, but was fired being too much of a hardass.  His WR coach Brian Hartline is an elite coach and recruiter.

Further down the list:

Mike Locksley (HC Maryland):  He's probably exactly where he wants (needs) to be, and as a UMD alum I hope he sticks around, but he's turning around the listless Terps.  Injuries have derailed a few seasons, but when they're healthy they can be fun to watch.  Spent time in uat's coach rehabilitation camp and seems to have figured a few things out.

DeMeco Ryans (DC San Fransisco):  He's from Alabama, played at uat under Joe Kines (Shula).  Nine years as an NFL player, four as an assistant, in his second year as DC.  He's interviewed for HC jobs already and appears to be on the short list for near-future openings.  I imagine he could identify and recruit defensive talent regionally.

Ken Dorsey (OC Buffalo Bills):  I don't know that he's even interviewed for NFL HC jobs, but he's been Josh Allen's QB coach since 2019, so he can develop good into great.  And he hates poor clock management.

WDE!

I like Dorsey as well

I like Dino Babers. But I don't think he could turn around this program in the time frame we'd give him. I've watched a few of Syracuse's games and his players are coached well and give maximum effort.

I still like Fleck too.

But with no roots in the south it be a tough fit for either.

If you want a name that nobody is thinking of then I would like to throw my name out them.   Auburn could give me half of what we are paying Harsin, and then just pay me 50% of that next year when you fire me.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Had hand surgery yesterday so not gonna be typing much for a bit.  I linked their profiles. They're not in any particular order.

Traylor  

Lebby

Longo 

Klieman  

Elko 

Gattis

Take the time to read the profiles.  All are proven winners and would be worth a call 

I thought AU should have talked to Klieman when Gus decided he could win a NC at UCF. After all, they did win one not long ago.  Klieman is a dang good coach. 

How do I do yellow font on the Gus stuff…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Golf is too slow for that. I hear he runs about a 9.50 forty. BB's more like 7 flat. 

He’s only that slow because of the friction tennis balls have on grass.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Is Golf’s time in minutes, hours, or days?  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Whatever, I can fly!