Candidates No One Mentioned

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If we steal Chip, no worries!

I just don't think he'd come here. But seriously, every indicator leads me to believe it'll be Freeze. I hope people can either convince me otherwise or get me excited for him.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I just don't think he'd come here. But seriously, every indicator leads me to believe it'll be Freeze. I hope people can either convince me otherwise or get me excited for him.

Here's why I think it won't be him.

New President and new AD.  Making a hire like Freeze would be a serious risk to stake your reputation on as people new to their positions at Auburn.  Just don't think they want that mess.

Look back at Pearl and what was seen as a controversial hire at the time.  Jacobs had been in the role for a long while at that point.  He had the political capital to spend to make that hire.  New administration doesn't.  Make the Freeze hire and he does something stupid (again) and you are out along with Hugh.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Here's why I think it won't be him.

New President and new AD.  Making a hire like Freeze would be a serious risk to stake your reputation on as people new to their positions at Auburn.  Just don't think they want that mess.

Look back at Pearl and what was seen as a controversial hire at the time.  Jacobs had been in the role for a long while at that point.  He had the political capital to spend to make that hire.  New administration doesn't.  Make the Freeze hire and he does something stupid (again) and you are out along with Hugh.

Yeah. Of course, If Hartwell is the new AD, I would MUCH rather it be Freeze than it be Blake Anderson or Neal Brown, both of whom he's been associated with lol.

Your *prediction* (not choice)?

Edited by AUwent

44 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Yeah. Of course, If Hartwell is the new AD, I would MUCH rather it be Freeze than it be Blake Anderson or Neal Brown, both of whom he's been associated with lol.

Your *prediction* (not choice)?

Grimes is both my prediction and one of my top choices.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Grimes is both my prediction and one of my top choices.

I would be ecstatic of course, but I don't think he's going to pass up the head post at Baylor if Aranda bolts.

(If Aranda stays put, I hope the fact that Gus is gone will keep his firing in 2012 from being a factor.)

Edited by AUwent

23 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I would be ecstatic of course, but I don't think he's going to pass up the head post at Baylor if Aranda bolts.

(If Aranda stays put, I hope the fact that Gus is gone will keep his firing in 2012 from being a factor.)

If both jobs are open at the end of the season, Grimes would theoretically have his choice between us and Baylor.  The day we lose out on a coach to freaking Baylor is the day I eat my hat.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

I'm watching Jeff Traylor's UTSA team dismantle Middle Tennessee right now.  Middle Tennessee beat Miami.  UTSA gave Texas all they could handle in Austin 2 weeks ago. I love their offense, and Traylor is clearly a player's coach.  I suspect it's too early in his career to get a call from us, but damn, that guy is going places. 

He and the Texas Tech coaches were great high school coaches before moving up. Unfortunately, many people on boards act as though teaching and coaching in high school makes someone an idiot when it comes to doing the same at the college level. The irony is that those same people speak from a podium of judgment as though they have more knowledge about the game.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If both jobs are open at the end of the season, Grimes would theoretically have his choice between us and Baylor.  The day we lose out on a coach to freaking Baylor is the day I eat my hat.

Put BBQ sauce on it .... i might help.  LOL

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don’t think anybody is sticking around for a Big 12 job. They know it’s soon to become Conference USA. That’s why I think we might actually pull Gundy if we wanted him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t think anybody is sticking around for a Big 12 job. They know it’s soon to become Conference USA. That’s why I think we might actually pull Gundy if we wanted him.

If none are sticking around, Aranda would be best choice out of Big 12.

Edited by Hank2020

5 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

12 team playoff based on conference champs changes that narrative. Schools like Baylor and Ok St will have a much easier path to the playoff. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I pray we wouldn't be that dumb

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

I hope you're right but I'm expecting you'll be eating a hat. Baylor is set up to be king of the Big 12 and therefore a very easy path to the playoff, meanwhile we have to play the two best programs in the country every year--and somehow always seem to stumble upon an OOC opponent when they become a powerhouse (we have home and homes with Baylor, UCLA and Miami on the docket).

Edited by AUwent

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I hope you're right but I'm expecting you'll be eating a hat. Baylor is set up to be king of the Big 12 and therefore a very easy path to the playoff, versus us, who has to play the two best programs in the country every year--and somehow always seem to stumble upon an OOC opponent when they become a powerhouse (we have home and homes with Baylor, UCLA and Miami on the docket).

Getting to the playoff and winning the playoff are huge differences.  You can't win it at Baylor.  You can at Auburn.

The money and access is going to be in the Big 10 and SEC.  If you can get a big time job in one of those conferences, you take it 

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I pray we wouldn't be that dumb

I wouldn’t mind Gundy, honestly. I’d just love to have an air raid. But yeah, I think his ceiling would be maybe a west title. He’s solid but they seem to always blow a chance at winning big there.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Getting to the playoff and winning the playoff are huge differences.  You can't win it at Baylor.  You can at Auburn.

The money and access is going to be in the Big 10 and SEC.  If you can get a big time job in one of those conferences, you take it 

Because of our schedule, there is no way we will have a good enough record to be a quarterfinal AQ--though we could possibly host a first round. Nor will we have the legs to make it past the quarters. Making it to the quarters roughly every five years is a perfectly realistic goal to have though.

Edited by AUwent

10 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I hope you're right but I'm expecting you'll be eating a hat. Baylor is set up to be king of the Big 12 and therefore a very easy path to the playoff, meanwhile we have to play the two best programs in the country every year--and somehow always seem to stumble upon an OOC opponent when they become a powerhouse (we have home and homes with Baylor, UCLA and Miami on the docket).

The Big 12 is going to soon be the worst of the P5, if it doesn’t outright dissolve. 

Just now, AUght2win said:

The Big 12 is going to soon be the worst of the P5, if it doesn’t outright dissolve. 

Oh the Pac will be worse. ACC debatable.

• Like 1

Just now, AUwent said:

Because of our schedule, there is no way we will have a good enough record to be a quarterfinal AQ--though we could possibly host a first round. Nor will we have the legs to make it past the quarters. Making it to the quarters every five years is a perfectly realistic goal to have though.

Dude, we were a win away from being the only 2 loss team to ever make the playoff in 2017, and we would have gotten in as the 2 seed.

Schedule is nothing but an excuse for losing mentality.  Get better and the schedule magically doesn't look so hard.

• Love 1

Interesting tidbit.

TCU is absolutely embarrassing Oklahoma right now. Something like 600-700 yards of offense with a quarter to go. 

TCU’s OC is Lincoln Riley’s younger brother. He’d be a penny stock for sure but if he’s even close to his brother he might be worth an interview.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Nah, they are going to poach Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah. 

Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford to the Big 10.

Pac 12 will dissolve.

17 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

I'm watching Jeff Traylor's UTSA team dismantle Middle Tennessee right now.  Middle Tennessee beat Miami.  UTSA gave Texas all they could handle in Austin 2 weeks ago. I love their offense, and Traylor is clearly a player's coach.  I suspect it's too early in his career to get a call from us, but damn, that guy is going places. 

I've worked with Traylor.  Phenomenal man and coach. Like you said, not yet, but eventually...hell yeah!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Interesting tidbit.

TCU is absolutely embarrassing Oklahoma right now. Something like 600-700 yards of offense with a quarter to go. 

TCU’s OC is Lincoln Riley’s younger brother. He’d be a penny stock for sure but if he’s even close to his brother he might be worth an interview.

Counter point:

Ted Roof is the DC at Oklahoma.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2