9/30/22 Auburn Articles

aubiefifty

Auburn Wire staff make their predictions for Saturday against LSU

Auburn Wire
3-4 minutes

It is a big matchup on Saturday when the LSU Tigers travel to Jordan-Hare Stadium for a date with Auburn. The home team has won the last two games in this series but trails the all-time mark 31-24-1. In the last 11 matchups at Jordan-Hare, Auburn is 8-3 against LSU. That stretch dates back to 2000.

This game has a bit more pressure on the home team. A recent report indicated that this could bump the timeline for a possible move at the head coach position for Auburn. It began last week against Missouri from insider Bruce Feldman that stated they could make a move as early as this past Monday had Missouri prevailed.

Buy Tigers Tickets

The SEC West matchup certainly isn’t lacking in storylines. Auburn quarterback T.J. Finley was the starter in this matchup two years ago at Jordan-Hare, but it was for LSU. Finley won’t suit up this week while he continues to recover from an AC sprain in his throwing shoulder. Wide receiver Koy Moore also played for LSU, and he will be on the field for Auburn this time around.

Auburn Wire Picks:

• Patrick Conn: LSU 27, Auburn 13
  • River Wells: LSU 28, Auburn 17
  • JD McCarthy: LSU 31, Auburn 14
  • Taylor Jones: Auburn 14, LSU 13

The USA TODAY Sports SEC Network also weighed in on who would win:

• Emily Adams, Greenville News: LSU
  • Kevin Brockway, Gainesville Sun: LSU
  • Brett Dawson, Courier-Journal:  LSU
  • Bennett Durando, Montgomery Advertiser: LSU
  • Aria Gerson, Tennessean: LSU
  • Nick Kelly, Tuscaloosa News: LSU
  • Stefan Krajisnik, Clarion Ledger: LSU
  • Christina Long, Southwest Times Record: LSU
  • Koki Riley, Daily Advertiser: LSU
  • Adam Sparks, Knoxville News Sentinel: LSU
  • Matt Stahl, Columbia Daily Tribune: LSU
  • Nick Suss, Clarion Ledger: LSU
  • Marc Weiszer, Athens Banner-Herald: LSU

With the predictions out of the way, the Auburn Wire staff makes their selections for the X-Factor of the game.

USATSI_19106266-1.jpg

Jake Crandall-USA TODAY Network

X-Factor: Robby Ashford, Quarterback

One way or another, this game is going to come down to the play of quarterback Robby Ashford. Either he will rise up to the challenge and be the hero, or he will be a reason why Auburn fails on Saturday. No pressure for your second collegiate start.

USATSI_19106258-1.jpg

Jake Crandall-USA TODAY Network

X-Factor: Derick Hall, Edge Rusher

Derick Hall finally had his coming-out game against Missouri, and I have a feeling he’ll ride the momentum for a little bit. Expect him get to the quarterback often on Saturday.

1243482943.jpg

Michael Chang/Getty Images

X-Factor: Koy Moore, Wide Receiver

Koy Moore has had his best game as an Auburn Tiger last week and will look to give Auburn another weapon in the passing game against his former team. Expect him to have another big game and become Auburn’s No. 2 receiver.

USATSI_15139656.jpg

John Reed-USA TODAY Sports

X-Factor: Tank Bigsby, Running Back

In order for Auburn to have any kind of success, Tank Bigsby will need to get involved more than he has been. He has been a weapon that has “sat on the shelf” since week one, he needs to be used this week.

Bryan Harsin expects Donovan Kaufman to play Saturday against LSU

Taylor Jones
1-2 minutes

Auburn could receive a boost in the secondary for their game with LSU on Saturday.

During Wednesday’s SEC Coaches Teleconference, head coach Bryan Harsin revealed that safety Donovan Kaufman is listed as “day-to-day”, but is expected to play Saturday, barring any setbacks.

Buy Tigers Tickets

“(Kaufman) just wasn’t able to go last week. Tried to work through it, and really was not able to get the reps during the week of practice that he needed to go out there and play,” Harsin said. “He is day-to-day, but fully expect him to be ready to go.”

Kaufman’s presence will be needed on Saturday, as Auburn is still looking to gain an identity in the secondary. The Tigers have solid players in Zion Puckett and Keionte Scott in the defensive backfield but are struggling as a unit to interrupt the opposing passing game. Through four games, Auburn’s secondary has yet to record an interception and has broken up just 14 passes.

Kaufman has made 12 stops so far on the 2022 season, with two pass breakups.

247sports.com

Three Auburn players to watch as LSU plays its first true road game

Dylan Sanders
5-6 minutes

A lot of people have completely discounted this Auburn game, chalking it as a win for LSU.

It’s important to remember how weird this game always is, the fact that it’s at night in Jordan-Hare and most importantly the fact that Auburn still has a ton of talent. Despite all odds, Auburn is still 3-1, they have found a way to win their close games. Let’s take a look at their roster and a couple of key names to keep an eye on as LSU looks to win their first true road game this season.

There are some questions surrounding who takes the first snap behind center this week, but regardless of who ends up playing quarterback the difference will likely be negligible overall. Robby Ashford adds more leg talent, T.J. Finley (who you should be familiar with) brings the stronger arm. Neither have been very good, so I want to focus on the best player on the offense. Tank Bigsby is not only the best running back on the roster, but maybe the SEC and one of the best in the country.

Bigsby has played LSU two times previously. His freshman year saw him run 15 times for 71 yards and two touchdowns. LSU took him out of the game last year, though, as he only ran 9 times for 27 yards as Auburn won in Baton Rouge.

Despite the name Tank and his larger frame might suggest, he’s a pretty shifty and elusive back. He will test the tackling discipline of these LSU defenders.

Bigsby got off to a great start to the season, but teams have been able to slow him down in recent weeks and as it’s very well known the offense of Auburn has struggled very much. Shocking, I know, but shutting down a team’s best player on offense seems to be the key to slowing them down.

LSU gave up two big runs against Mississippi State, but outside of that the run defense has been pretty impressive. Mekhi Wingo especially has been a revelation in run defense and looks like one of the best in the SEC in shutting that down. The addition of Joe Foucha should bolster that run defense even more. LSU’s defense is playing with a lot of confidence right now, they will need to bring that into the game to set the tone early against a really good player.

Harsin pointed to the front seven when speaking about LSU this week, so it’ll be interesting to see how they gameplan to get around that. “The front seven, I am very impressed with. I think what they are doing with their front seven and their scheme is very good. Every single one of those guys are impressive in their own way whether it is rank, size, speed or power.

The strength of this Auburn team is clearly its defense though. Making this game weakness versus strength on both sides of the ball.

Derrick Hall has probably been the single most impactful player on the Auburn team this season. The EDGE defender has five tackles for a loss, two sacks and the team’s lone interception.

He’s a very technically sound player, which will make him an interesting matchup for LSU’s pair of freshmen on the edge. He will probably be the biggest matchup since Jared Verse that they have seen, who has a different style than Hall but is a very talented defender who tore up LSU’s line.

Hall was a four star recruit out of Gulfport, MS who was an LSU target back in high school. Obviously it’s a different team at this point, but he tore up LSU last year with 8 tackles with a sack and a half in Baton Rouge.

The other edge defender for Auburn, Eku Leota, has had a great start to the season too. I want to kick to the interior for the last focus player, Colby Wooden.

Wooden is a fantastic athlete on the interior, who has had a good pass rush season but will really impact LSU in the run game. Wooden also tore LSU up last year, which at this point is to be expected.

With the interior of LSU’s line really being a question mark already, adding in the reports of Garrett Dellinger being out with a hand injury, I am expecting multiple big plays from Wooden in this one.

2COMMENTS

Really, the entire front of Auburn is really impressive and relentless. With Ashford in practice, they have had good practice going against a mobile quarterback. Obviously, Ashford is not the athlete that Daniels is in terms of pure speed, but it does help for sure.

Daniels had a great week last week staying confident in the pocket and keeping his eyes down field, he will need to show those same tendencies to beat Auburn.

">247Sports

Koy Moore brings life to Auburn’s WR room

Published: Sep. 29, 2022, 11:49 a.m.
4 minutes

Koy Moore’s four catches for 74 yards provided rare bright spots for Auburn’s offense during last Saturday’s 17-14 OT win against Missouri.

Auburn had 212 yards, and Moore provided 74 toward the total. His best play was on first down from Auburn’s 24 with 7:49 left in the game. The LSU transfer caught a pass on a rollout by quarterback Robby Ashford. The Tigers had gone three and out on their last three drives and had 44 yards in the second half before Moore’s 24-yard catch.

Moore is a versatile receiver who can play in the slot or split wide. His 6′1 190-pound frame gives a blend of physical toughness and speed. He entered the Missouri game with two catches for 26 yards. Auburn hopes his performance against Mizzou is a sign of Moore’s development.

“Koy brings that fire to the room,” Ashford told reporters on Monday. “I definitely love— from the time he stepped foot on campus, he just was a worker. I mean, one of the hardest workers I’ve ever seen.”

Moore had plays 20, 21, and 24 yards against Missouri. One of his best plays was a situation that taught Ashford a valuable lesson. Moore was supposed to throw to an open receiver off a double pass from Ashford; however, he switched it up by running once there wasn’t another option.

Moore ran for 20 yards, and Ashford sprinted to help with a block. Ashford suffered a shoulder injury causing him to exit the game for two series. Freshman Holden Geriner had to take Ashford’s spot.

“That’s just me being just a player. I mean, I want to do whatever for the team. But I kind of learned my lesson a little bit,” Ashford said. “I won’t be as competitive, as hard-going. Just try to get my body out there and set up a block in any way. Probably not try to take them to the ground, but maybe just a little push or something, just to create a little space.”

Auburn head coach appreciated Moore’s effort on the run.

“We had a little trick play and they had it covered, and he made something happen with it,” Harsin said. “It was good on his end just to go create something, but also take care of the football. He’s a really smart player. That’s the one thing why he’s been in those positions. He’s really smart, and it was good to see him get the ball in his hands and do some things.”

Ashford returned and completed two more passes to Moore, including one that led to the Tigers getting set in field goal range. Moore’s sideline catch on first down with less than four minutes left in regulation took the Tigers to the Missouri 38-yard-line.

Moore gets a chance for revenge against his former school on Saturday at Jordan-Hare. He played two seasons in Baton Rouge and caught 27 passes for 248 yards in 11 games. Auburn hasn’t had a receiver score a touchdown through four games. Moore’s emergence against Missouri could lead to extra opportunities with the perfect timing of helping his new squad beat his old team.

I‘m proud of him just the time and effort he put in, just coming from LSU to here,” Ashford said. “The adjustment he made, and just how he took everybody, how we took him in, and he bought into the process. And so it was good to see that pay off on Saturday, and it’s only up from here for Koy.”

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group

Auburn’s Keionte Scott ‘explosive’ but still sharpening punt-return skills

Published: Sep. 29, 2022, 9:23 a.m.
5-7 minutes

One of the first things Keionte Scott did when he returned home from Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday was send a text to special teams coordinator Roc Bellantoni.

Scott wanted to apologize to Bellantoni for a gaffe he made on punt return duty during Auburn’s 17-14 overtime win against Missouri. With an 11 a.m. kickoff on the Plains, Scott battled the midday sun as Missouri punter Jack Stonehouse bombed a pair of 60-plus yard punts that pinned Auburn deep in its own territory in the second half, during a stretch of action that saw the teams combine for 12 consecutive punts.

“I feel like it got the best of me at some times, but also just in my brain I was thinking, like, ‘I can’t see the ball,’” Scott said. “I was just trying to help with field position—where the field was, where the field was going to be after the ball, because I couldn’t see it, and I was trying to get my hand up, but the punter did a really good job of hanging it high.”

Read more Auburn football: T.J. Finley expected to miss LSU game due to shoulder sprain

What to make of freshman QB Holden Geriner’s brief college debut

Auburn’s wide receivers haven’t scored a touchdown this season. Can the Tigers’ coaches accelerate their production?

Scott’s message to Bellantoni after the game: I need to do a better job of being prepared.

That level of self-awareness and initiative to hold himself accountable has served Scott well since he arrived on campus just a couple of days before the start of fall camp. In a short time, the former junior college transfer has solidified himself as a key player in two phases for Auburn — in the secondary and on special teams.

Scott has started three of Auburn’s first four games, with two starts at nickel and one at safety, where he stepped in for an injured Donovan Kaufman last week in the team’s SEC opener. He has 17 tackles, with two for a loss and one sack, plus a pass breakup and a quarterback hurry, and he’s currently fifth in the SEC and 23rd nationally in punt returns, averaging a respectable 10.63 yards on eight returns.

“I definitely had some goals to come in and make an immediate impact on this team, whatever it was,” Scott said. “That was one thing I based my mind off of, however that comes, just be ready for the opportunity.”

Scott made sure he was prepared to step up, even after joining the team just prior to the start of fall camp. He signed with Auburn in December during the early signing period, but his arrival on the Plains was delayed as he wrapped up some academic work. That meant no spring practices or summer player-run practices to get acclimated or acquainted with his new team.

Scott trained on his own out west, with an assist from Auburn’s coaches — who provided him with the playbook and guidance — and fellow defensive backs Jaylin Simpson and Nehemiah Pritchett, who helped answer any questions he had from afar. The trio bonded during Scott’s official visit last November, and Scott maintained that connection with the veterans as he prepared for his arrival at Auburn. Any time he had a question about a defensive formation or concept, or what his specific assignment on a given play was, he didn’t hesitate to reach out to his future teammates.

“He was, obviously, very invested and wanted to learn, and that’s why he really locked in very good once he got here,” Simpson said.

Within the first two days of fall practice, Scott was already turning heads; he had an interception early on, and buzz surrounding the 6-foot, 185-pound defensive back.

“That obviously grabs everybody’s attention because a lot of people didn’t know him,” Simpson said. “And he comes in there and he’s just catching picks. Everybody’s like, ‘What’s going on?’ I’m like, ‘Yeah.’ I knew him. DBs knew him.”

It wasn’t long before the rest of Auburn’s roster became familiar with Scott, and now so are Auburn’s opponents. Scott has been a fixture in the secondary this season, and he took over primary punt return duties after competing with wide receiver Ja’Varrius Johnson for that role early in the season.

He has adapted to his new, more versatile role in the secondary at nickel — and, as was the case last week, at safety when needed — as well as on special teams. He primarily played corner at Snow College, and these last four games have marked his first college experience as a punt returner.

Scott has comported himself well in that regard, despite the miscalculations against Missouri while battling the sun. He’s still learning, and assistant coach Cadillac Williams even offered some advice on how to better navigate the elements, even if means getting out of the way and avoiding a muffed ball.

Even on punts Scott has let bounce, there have been some instances in which he has been aggressive in trying to make something happen in the return game. While he’s still honing his skills back there, he’s confident he’ll be able to break one, in time.

“He can definitely be explosive, and he really is,” Auburn coach Bryan Harsin said. “He’s one of those guys that can go. I think we all see that…. We’ve got to put him in a better position there.

But overall, he can catch it, he can make guys miss, he can do a lot of really good things. We’ve got to help him, get the other 10 guys on punt return to help him out there.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

and in the no kidding news..................

LSU's front 7 on defense a concern for Auburn

Mark Murphy
5-6 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama–As his football team continues preparation for Saturday night’s home game vs. LSU, Auburn’s head coach, Bryan Harsin, offered high praise on Wednesday about what he is seeing from LSU’s defense as a whole and the guys up near the line of scrimmage in particular. The teams will face off at 6 p.m. CDT at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

“The front seven, I am very impressed with,” Harsin said of LSU’s defense. “I think what they are doing with their front seven and their scheme is very good. Every single one of those guys are impressive in their own way whether it is rank, size, speed or power.

“It is a good front, bottom line,” he declared. “It is what you would expect in the SEC and what you would expect from an LSU defense.”

LSU, which is 3-1 overall and 1-0 in the SEC, is giving up just 14.3 points per game after shutting out New Mexico 38-0 last Saturday night. In that game the visiting Lobos netted just 88 total yards.

“I think whole entire defense, back end and all, I think the guys play hard,” Harsin said of Auburn’s game four opponent. The coach noted that LSU’s defensive players seem to be “getting a better feel for what they are trying to do” while adjusting to a new coaching staff led by Brian Kelly.

Since losing 24-23 in the opener to Florida State the Bayou Bengals crushed Southern and defeated Mississippi State 31-16 prior to blanking New Mexico.

“Mississippi State is obviously different so they have had some different teams (opponents) and things they have had to work through, but you can see the growth in that front,” Harsin said. “You can see the strength–there is obviously that on the defensive side so that is a challenge.”

The LSU front seven features 6-3, 250 junior jack linebacker B.J. Ojulari, who has 12 1/2 career quarterback sacks. He has 10 tackles this year. The sack leader for this season is 6-6, 250 sophomore end Sai’von Jones, who has 2 1/2.

LSU’s leading tackler is Harold Perkins, a 6-2, 220 freshman linebacker, who has been involved in 22 stops. Harsin said that 6-2, 188 senior nickel Jay Ward is a player who stands out on video. Ward has 18 tackles and one of LSU’s two interceptions.

The visitors will be matching up against an Auburn offense that has struggled at the line of scrimmage despite AU having an identical record as LSU.

Commenting on the matchup, Harsin said his offensive linemen will need to “battle every single play.”

The coach added, “You have got to win the one-on-ones, you have got to do your job on the double-teams and take advantage of that, and you have got to be able to pass protect. Those guys make it a challenge because of what they do and who they are. That is the thing we have to work through this week, getting prepared for that–the speed of how they are going to play.”

The SEC West matchup will be televised on ESPN as Auburn ends a five-game homestand to open the season. It will be the first true road game for LSU, which opened the season in New Orleans vs. FSU and played its next three games at home.

“I have always been impressed, and not just playing them but even watching LSU from afar,” Harsin said. “I am always impressed with their players. I think they are very athletic. I think they play hard. They have always historically been a very good football team.

“There are some differences this year offensively and defensively, there are obviously different schemes," he noted. "I feel like this year they are on a three-game winning streak and Coach Kelly has talked about that. You can see the improvements in the football team in all three phases.

11345094.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Bryan Harsin checks his play sheet during Auburn's 17-14 overtime victory over Missouri. (Photo: Greg McWilliams, Inside the Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

“They are doing some different things,” Harsin added. “They are using their personnel well and I think that is showing in the games that they have played, the last three in particular.”

Commenting on Kelly, who is in his first season at LSU, Harsin said, “I have always been impressed with him and what he did at Notre Dame and Cincinnati over the years with him being a head football coach. He has obviously played in a lot of big football games. He has been on a big stage. He has run a very successful program so you know they are going to be prepared.”

21COMMENTS

Auburn won last year’s matchup 24-19 at Baton Rouge with Jarquez Hunter scoring the go-ahead touchdown with 3:11 left on a one-yard run to complete a drive that covered 92 yards. LSU leads the series 31-24-1 and Auburn is looking for a third straight win in games vs. the Bayou Bengals.

Tiger Buzz: Auburn vs. LSU TV info, key matchups and what to watch for

Published: Sep. 30, 2022, 7:05 a.m.

4-5 minutes

Head to Head: Auburn vs LSU

Auburn (3-1, 1-0 SEC) vs. LSU (3-1, 1-0)

When: 6 p.m. CT, Saturday

Where: Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn

TV: ESPN

Line: LSU -9

This game will determine...

The future of Auburn football. Not to sound overdramatic, but after four lackluster home performances to open the season, Auburn desperately needs to put together a complete game and show some tangible progress under Bryan Harsin as it moves forward into the teeth of its SEC schedule. It’s no secret that Harsin is on the hotseat, and pressure has been mounting over the last two weeks following an embarrassing loss to Penn State and a better-lucky-than-good overtime escape against Missouri. Another flat performance, or worse — another lopsided loss at home — could spell an end to the Harsin experiment on the Plains sooner rather than later. A win against a rival could buy Harsin more time.

Three things to look for...

1. Robby Ashford’s second start. The former Oregon transfer is expected to make a second consecutive start at quarterback with T.J. Finley dealing with a sprain in his right shoulder. Ashford completed 12-of-18 passes for 127 yards and rushed for 46 yards and a touchdown against Missouri last week in what was an overall ugly game for Auburn. Most importantly, Ashford did not turn the ball over, and Auburn should be able to build off his first start as it begins division play.

2. Auburn’s second-half issues. Auburn’s offense has sputtered in the second half against Power 5 competition, getting outscored 97-21 in the second half (not including overtime) of its last seven games against Power 5 opponents. During that stretch, Auburn’s offense has managed a meager 0.47 points per drive. Those second-half troubles were underscored last week against Missouri, when Auburn punted on its first six second-half drives and then had its last possession of regulation end in a failed fourth-down try. Now Auburn will face an LSU defense that ranks 16th nationally (14.3 points per game).

3. Re-establishing the run. Auburn came out of the gate last week looking to impose its will in the ground game, running the ball on all 14 plays of its opening drive, which ended in a touchdown. After rushing for 71 yards in the first quarter, Auburn managed just 46 sack-adjusted rushing yards on 24 attempts (1.91 yards per carry) the remainder of the afternoon. With lingering questions at quarterback, Auburn will need to do better to establish the run against an LSU defense allowing just 3.51 yards per rush attempt this season.

Key matchup

Auburn’s edge defenders against LSU’s tackles. Derick Hall is coming off the best game of his career, with three tackles for loss, a pair of sacks and an interception, while Eku Leota also had a sack against Missouri. Up next for Auburn’s pass-rushing tandem is LSU true freshmen offensive tackles Will Campbell and Emery Jones Jr.

By the numbers

28 — It has been 28 years since Auburn last won three straight games against LSU. Auburn won four consecutive games in the series from 1989-94, including the first three matchups after the SEC moved to divisions (1992, 1993 and 1994). Auburn heads into Saturday’s game as winner of two straight games against LSU.

Key injuries

Auburn — OL Nick Brahms out (retired), OL Tate Johnson out (elbow), QB T.J. Finley out (shoulder), QB Zach Calzada out (shoulder), DB Donovan Kaufman probable (undisclosed).

LSU — S Major Burns out (neck), CB Raydarious Jones out (suspension), DL Maason Smith out (knee), LG Garrett Dellinger doubtful (hand), RB Armoni Goodwin questionable (hamstring), QB Jayden Daniels probable (back), DE B.J. Ojulari probable (undisclosed), S Jay Ward probable (undisclosed)

LSU player to watch

Jayden Daniels, QB. The former Arizona State transfer has been solid in his first year on the bayou, completing 73 percent of his passes (81-of-111 attempts) for 835 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions. He has also rushed for 262 yards and a pair of touchdowns on 44 carries, averaging a shade under 6 yards per attempt (5.95).

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

flywareagle.com

Lane Kiffin taking Auburn football job called potential ‘peak college football’ move

Andrew Hughes
5-6 minutes

USA Today said that Lane Kiffin taking the Auburn football job in December after rebuffing it in September would be 'peak college football' Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

USA Today said that Lane Kiffin taking the Auburn football job in December after rebuffing it in September would be 'peak college football' Mandatory Credit: Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports

The talk of the town after Lane Kiffin was visibly upset about fans leaving Vaught-Hemingway Stadium for Old Grove during a presser following Ole Miss’ narrow victory over Tulsa is the Rebels head coach leaving for a better-funded program and a more passionate Auburn football fanbase to be Bryan Harsin’s replacement as Tigers head coach.

Former AU baseball star-turned-Cleveland Guardians No. 36 overall pick Tanner Burns has made it clear that he wants to have Kiffin on the Plains, but Kiffin himself seemingly rebuffed the role by retweeting Blake Toppmeyer’s piece titled ‘Forget Auburn or Nebraska. Lane Kiffin and Mark Stoops can make playoff already’ (subscription required).

With that said, things change at the speed of light in college football — as Auburn football fans know well following November and December 2021. By season’s end, Ole Miss could be in a far worse spot. Kiffin, as we all know, is forever a flight risk to whoever is employing him in that moment.

Toppmeyer’s honors the sport’s unpredictability in his latest piece, saying that it’d be a ‘peak college football move’ to see Kiffin eventually take the Auburn football head coaching job despite what he’s shared on social media:

“It would be peak college football, though, for Kiffin to tweet this column in September suggesting he’ll stay put … and then accept the Auburn job in December after Bryan Harsin is fired.”

Lane Kiffin is the best Auburn football coaching candidate with SEC experience

When it comes to Lane Kiffin potentially taking the reins on the Plains, he comes with the best resume of any coach with SEC experience. Not only has he elevated Ole Miss to be a top SEC West team year in and year out no matter who is under center, but he was also part of the historic 2015 Alabama staff that defeated Deshaun Watson’s Clemson Tigers and only lost to, coincidentally, Ole Miss.

Kiffin also doesn’t come with the sort of scandals that Hugh Freeze got himself wrapped into during his own time in Oxford. When it comes to candidates with SEC experience, Kiffin is the best option.

Without the SEC qualifications, it’s tough not to want to see Deion Sanders make the Power Five leap with Auburn.

Former Tigers and current Cleveland Guardians starting pitcher Tanner Burns wants Lane Kiffin as the next Auburn football head coach Mandatory Credit: Petre Thomas-USA TODAY Sports

Former Tigers and current Cleveland Guardians starting pitcher Tanner Burns wants Lane Kiffin as the next Auburn football head coach Mandatory Credit: Petre Thomas-USA TODAY Sports

Auburn football: Current MLB, former AU starting pitcher wants Lane Kiffin as coach

Current Cleveland Guardians and former Auburn Tigers starting pitcher Tanner Burns isn’t taking part in any Auburn football head coaching conversation involving Bryan Harsin, already talking about who could be the next HC in the seat.

Burns endorsed Lane Kiffin for the job and even tagged the Ole Miss coach in a response to the Auburn BSS page tweeting out that ‘Auburn packed the house vs a crappy Mizzou team at an 11 am kickoff just 1 week after getting their backs blown out by James Franklin…the environments are not comparable in any way shape or form.’

According to Burns, Kiffin is the perfect fit for the Tigers’ head coaching job — ignoring the second-year HC leading Auburn football into battle against SEC West rival LSU and gunning for its first three-game winning streak over the Bayou Bengals this century:

Auburn football Head Coach Bryan Harsin has lost support of the fanbase

The Auburn football faithful have turned their backs on Bryan Harsin after a head-scratching fourth down play-call in the fourth quarter with under two minutes left against Missouri. In fact, many had already checked out after a 41-12 destruction at the hands of the Penn State Nittany Lions Week 3.

A former Auburn baseball player now at the highest level of pro baseball completely dismissing Harsin is a tremendously bad look for the Auburn football program, but it is in line with what Paul Finebaum said about the conversation regarding Harsin having nowhere to go.

If there’s a future for Harsin on the Plains, it’s tough to see right now. Winning against LSU begins to turn the tide, but with defending national champions Georgia hosting AU in its first road game of the 2022 season, it could simply be a matter of time before the Boise native is dismissed by interim AD Rich McGlynn — or potential Allen Greene permanent replacement John Hartwell from Utah State — and the Tigers begin their hunt for a new head coach.

and in the hell freezes over column...............

Joseph Goodman: Auburn remains elite, but change is needed

Updated: Sep. 30, 2022, 8:19 a.m.|Published: Sep. 30, 2022, 7:44 a.m.
7-9 minutes

Any mid- to lower-tier roasting of former Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron should begin by pointing out that someone who opens a sushi restaurant and names it “Ajian” as a sort of joke maybe, just maybe, lacks the integrity required for honest words in a public space.

Great guest for a sports podcast, in other words.

McCarron went on the entertaining Slow News Day pod this week, and took the opportunity to slap at punch-drunk Auburn just as the Tigers stumble into the oncoming traffic of the most difficult schedule in the country. McCarron was entertaining. I laughed, so I give him credit for that. He called Auburn a “middle- to lower-tier” team in the SEC.

RELATED: Tiger buzz ahead of Auburn vs. LSU

RELATED: Auburn QB TJ Finley still nursing shoulder injury

RELATED: Auburn offense still searching for remedy for second-half woes

GOODMAN: Joe vs. the Pro and the Hero

He was wrong, of course. Auburn has sabotaged itself for a couple years now with a weird form of seditious behavior one might call the Down Home Disagreement, but Auburn football is among the top teams in the conference and the country when it comes to all the significant measures of prestige: money, history, facilities, fans and, of course, dedicated boosters.

“The big-money people at Auburn, they look at Auburn in a whole different level than reality, especially right now,” McCarron said.

No, pretty much everyone who has seen Auburn play football this season understands the team is hurting. That doesn’t mean Auburn is doomed for years of losing football, though. It just means the Tigers need a better coach.

Laughing at a funeral, heaping dirt on a sick foe, Airport Boulevard Adam Levine will not be the last Crimson McKaren this season to celebrate Auburn’s sad misery. What? Is he supposed to go easy on Auburn? Heck no.

Some took his words as an insult, but anyone who understands the effects of getting hit in the head by one too many Moon Pies during Mardi Gras knows the dizzying truth. It was actually just a sign of respect. McCarron’s was the kind of tongue-wagging banter that makes the Iron Bowl an unending saga of hate, and one of the best rivalries in sports.

When it comes to Auburn’s long-term trajectory, I remain optimistic despite the unfortunate circumstances caused by one of the worst hires in the history of SEC football. That’s what Auburn coach Bryan Harsin represents, and that’s why this weekend is so important.

Auburn (3-1, 1-0 in the SEC) has LSU (3-1, 1-0 SEC) at home on Saturday, and the matchup presents a litmus test for the current state of Auburn football. Like, how bad is it really? Well, we’re all about to find out.

Why is it that when Auburn and LSU get together, more often than not, the game is served with a side-helping of existential dread for one side or the other? It’s because the programs are so similar. Last season, LSU’s loss in Baton Rouge to Auburn sounded the death knell for coach Ed Orgeron. The game of Bo Nix and his magic tricks was Auburn’s first win in Baton Rouge since 1999.

Go back to Auburn 18, LSU 13 in 2016. It represented Les Miles’ last blunder with the Tigers. He was fired the following day. This game at Jordan-Hare Stadium hits with the same urgency for Auburn, which understands how it arrived near the bottom of the SEC power rankings this season better than anyone. It’s the consequence of not hiring a proven coach and instead taking a flier on someone unknown in the hopes of being the athletics director who found the diamond in the rough.

Former Auburn athletics director Allen Greene chose incorrectly, and now he’s gone. Greene gambled with one of Alabama’s most important cultural treasures. What does a good hire look like? Don’t turn away, Auburn, even if it hurts. Greene guessed with Harsin. LSU athletics director Scott Woodward, a person who better respects the public trust tied to football in the SEC, went with Brian Kelly to fix a program spiraling out of control.

LSU began this season in shambles, but Kelly, despite all the jokes about his accent and awkward tendencies, has with impressive suddenness turned around LSU’s outlook not only for this season but probably beyond.

LSU lost enormous amounts of talent in the offseason, but Kelly hit the transfer portal and found replacements. Quarterback Max Johnson ditched LSU for rival Texas A&M, but Kelly’s first signal caller with the Tigers, Jayden Daniels of Arizona State, is actually a lot better than his predecessor. Is Kelly a fish-out-of-water at Baton Rouge dinner parties? Yeah, maybe so, but the guy can coach and that shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. He came to LSU as the coach with the most wins in Notre Dame history.

Kelly was a good hire, and LSU is now well-positioned for life in a new era of the SEC that’s about to include Texas, Oklahoma, a new scheduling format and the opportunity to make a 12-team playoff even with a loss to Alabama.

Auburn, despite everything that has happened over the last few years, has the money and the prestige to hire someone better than Kelly. That’s why Auburn remains one of the top football schools in the country. And, hear me out, what if Auburn and Georgia don’t play every season anymore when the SEC decides on its new scheduling system?

Urban Meyer won a national championship at Florida in his second season. Despite all of Florida’s success with Meyer and Steve Spurrier, Auburn leads the all-time series against the Gators 43-39-2. Auburn is elite, but it’s time to stop fooling around. The transfer portal and NIL collectives can bring Auburn back quickly.

The truth is that Auburn is the equal of Alabama in every way except for one very important reason, and that reason is Nick Saban. Even still, despite Alabama’s unmatched success over the last 15 years, Auburn is only one blown lead in the 2021 Iron Bowl away from leading Alabama in the head-to-head series since 1981. That’s when Pat Dye unlocked the Tigers’ potential and forever changed the dynamics of college football in the SEC.

Since Dye, Auburn has twice won at least four games in a row against Alabama. Tommy Tuberville, of course, won six straight Iron Bowls from 2002 to 2007. Since the 1980s, Alabama, even with Saban, has never won more than three straight against the Tigers.

What does average look like? Alabama’s record in Jordan-Hare Stadium since the first Iron Bowl at Auburn in 1989. It’s 6-11.

And, when it comes to all things Saban, Georgia can also thank Alabama’s coach for help against the Tigers. Saban’s protégé, Kirby Smart, is 6-1 against Auburn, which has allowed the Bulldogs to take a slight lead in the all-time series of the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry, 62-56-8.

The big fish eat the little fish in this sea of cannibals, and Auburn’s only sin is being a greedy shark.

It’s not my job to go trawling for hope on behalf of Auburn, though. The nets are dragging the bottom now, and it doesn’t take a fishmonger from Mobile to recognize the signs of rot.

Joseph Goodman is a columnist for the Alabama Media Group, and author of “We Want Bama: A season of hope and the making of Nick Saban’s ‘ultimate team’”. You can find him on Twitter @JoeGoodmanJr.