October 2d Softball Games

Auburn and Wallace State are scoreless through 4 innings.  Penta pitching for the Tigers, Sydney Cox at third.  Garcia had a double in the first.

Edit:  Still scoreless through 5.  Widra and Rolfe both mentioned as pitchers.  We are playing as visitors.  Wallace State, BTW, was 56-4 this year, and #1 in the nation for a month or so.

Edit:  Wallace State scores 4 in the 6th to win 4-0.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Auburn and Wallace State are scoreless through 4 innings.  Penta pitching for the Tigers, Sydney Cox at third.  Garcia had a double in the first.

Edit:  Still scoreless through 5.  Widra and Rolfe both mentioned as pitchers.  We are playing as visitors.  Wallace State, BTW, was 56-4 this year, and #1 in the nation for a month or so.

Edit:  Wallace State scores 4 in the 6th to win 4-0.

Our game 1 lineup couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, blakem said:

Our game 1 lineup couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat.

Who was on the lineup? It seems Dean is playing a lot of newcomers rather than starters.

1 minute ago, Jad0003 said:

Who was on the lineup? It seems Dean is playing a lot of newcomers rather than starters.

Maia E at 1st, Carlee at 2nd, Peralta at SS, Axe at 3rd, Garcia in left, Abbey S in center and Kenadie C in right. Catchers were Aubrie L and Skylar Elkins.

I’d expect more from Peralta, Carlee, Garcia, and Aubrie. 

Interested to see how Roberts looks in Game 2. I know we recruited her for her big bat. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

I’d expect more from Peralta, Carlee, Garcia, and Aubrie. 

Interested to see how Roberts looks in Game 2. I know we recruited her for her big bat. 

We couldn’t hit anything but pop ups and the wind was blowing super hard in towards home plate.

Auburn leads Chipola 1-0 after 4 innings in the second game.  Rolfe pitching at last check.  That isn't the first time that Wallace State has beaten us, if my memory is correct.  They went 56-4 this year, and I think two of the losses were in the postseason.  Chipola also has a history of being a powerhouse in this classification.  Still, it seems we should be able to hit community college pitching better than this.

Edit:  Auburn wins 4-0 behind btb homers from Widra and Mialnowski.  Widra relieved Rolfe in the circle, and Peralta had an RBI single.

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Auburn leads Chipola 1-0 after 4 innings in the second game.  Rolfe pitching at last check.  That isn't the first time that Wallace State has beaten us, if my memory is correct.  They went 56-4 this year, and I think two of the losses were in the postseason.  Chipola also has a history of being a powerhouse in this classification.  Still, it seems we should be able to hit community college pitching better than this.

Edit:  Auburn wins 4-0 behind btb homers from Widra and Mialnowski.  Widra relieved Rolfe in the circle, and Peralta had an RBI single.

I thought they had defeated AU in the past also but according to their Twitter page after the game today:

"LIONS WIN. LIONS WIN. LIONS WIN. For the first time in school HISTORY, your LIONS have defeated Auburn 4-0!"

In the 6th inning (believe Rolfe pitching) Wallace State hit one of those slow rollers to SS such there was no throw to 1st.  Next was a single to shallow LF and then a strike out.  Then had passed ball moving runners to 2nd and 3rd, followed by a walk.  Now with bases loaded they executed a bunt to score the runner at third on late play at the plate. With bases still loaded next batter struck out but was followed by a ball hit through the gap to the wall in right-center scoring 3 runs.  The hitter attempted to stretch the hit into a triple but someone made a good throw from the outfield to make the out at 3rd.

Ellis and Packer did not play in either game.  Penta pitched only the first 2 innings of the Wallace State game and last 2 innings of Chipola game.

Just looked at the Chipola SB site and they actually have some sort of live stream of the games vs AU and Wallace State.  They ended up with a come back win over Wallace state scoring 4 runs in top of 7th to go ahead 5-4 and closing out the bottom of the 7th with the victory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little embarrassing I guess, but this is fall ball. Things happen. CMD has a lot of talent and has a lot to figure out out. Playing good JUCO teams is much better than intrasquad. The biggest concern I have is Lowe. If she gets back to 100% Tigers can make a lot of noise in the Spring. If not we have problems.

A few random thoughts regarding Oct. 2nd games.  First off, I enjoyed the Wallace State facility.  Listed as 430 capacity.  Seems to face NNE and has a “roof” so that fans mostly shielded from sun in chair back seats.  Good parking and game well attended.  Small, nice looking campus I thought. 

Engelkes played a lot at 1st.  I believe Axe Milanowski saw some brief time there.  Seems we are trying to establish a backup there to play behind Ellis.  Can’t disagree.  I believe Millie Roberts saw significant time at 3rd.  She fielded probably 5 what you might call routine balls and made good throws.  In the past I have seen routine balls become disasters so that term was not intended as a slight.  I believe Axe saw some time there also.  Peralta made a very good play on a hard grounder hit to her right and was able to get planted to make a good throw to 1st to get the runner on a close play.  The outfield appeared to mainly consist of Garcia, Abby Smith and Kenadie Cooper (going left to right) I know Cox played some RF vs Chipola. Packer did not play.  We used 4 catchers; Godwin, Lisenby, Elkins and Blaine.  I noticed in games this fall when Lisenby enters the game she goes up and introduces herself to the umpire and sometimes has brief conversation.  She is entertaining to watch.  Reminds me of the ever ready bunny. 

In the 6th vs Chipola, Widra hit HR well over CF.  Next, Axe hit the LF score board and then Godwin hit one that would have been a HR except left fielder jumped up and snagged it at the fence (good play on her part). 

At this point, there appears to be more emphasis on looking at different players and developing depth vs leaving with a victory.  Hopefully, hitting will improve as we move forward.  Both Wallace State and Chipola impressed me with their skill level at the plate and in the field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3