AUght2win

What’s our overall talent level?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What’s our overall talent level?

• A to A+ - capable of winning a title
    • B to B+ - not championship level, but capable of upsetting anyone
    • C to C+ - the roof is 7 to 8 wins
    • D to D+ - if we play our best, we still couldn’t make a bowl

Where do you guys see our talent? I’ve seen a wide spectrum of opinion on this since before Gus was even fired.

To me, after last night, I think it’s clear we have around a B level talent pool. All these blown leads against quality (sometimes highly ranked) teams shows we have the dudes to jump out to leads, but don’t have the coaches to hold those leads.

To me, that’s actually encouraging. And it makes sense. Gus didn’t leave an empty cupboard, and this was never supposed to be a full rebuild. Some people (and at times, myself) have cited very poor position groups (the O line) to push the narrative that the entire team is equally barren. 

I don’t think so. Robby threw for 340 yards last night. Our defense stifled LSU. Not only should it have been a win. It should have been a blowout win. We’ve had similar games where our players were better, but Harsin’s staff undid their work.

But what do y’all think?

Gus didn’t leave us Robbie and he left us no depth whatsoever! I don’t think anyone on our offensive line would be a starter on any SEC team. We do have a couple of good running backs one good receiver and a couple of tight ends that he left us, but I would say that overall, he left us pretty slim!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, provibe said:

Gus didn’t leave us Robbie and he left us no depth whatsoever! I don’t think anyone on our offensive line would be a starter on any SEC team. We do have a couple of good running backs one good receiver and a couple of tight ends that he left us, but I would say that overall, he left us pretty slim!

He left us an elite defensive line. All our tight ends. Harsin brought in a few big time contributors elsewhere.

• Like 1

The only true weak points are QB and OL. The defense has talent, but plays inconsistently. The offense has plenty of skill makers, but the coaches are failing to use them in a way that combats our deficiencies. So, I voted B because I think the talent is mostly there. But the coaches are lost. They have no idea how to scheme around our deficiencies. With a different coaching staff, this could be a top 1/2 maybe even top 1/3 team. But, this staff is severely handicapping them. 

Also, our recruiting is the worst it’s been since recruiting rankings have been a thing. So, ask me again after signing day if we keep Harsin or hire another dud.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

Consider the play where LSUs freshman linebacker Perkins ran our super fast qb down for a TFL, and the play where Ojulari caused the fumble that led to the scoop and score. We have not one LB or edge rusher with those kinds of quicks and closing speed. Those guys could run with our DBs. We have solid, middle of the pack SEC talent, but not close to the top tier of the conference. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

It depends on the position. Because we are recruiting so poorly we are about to see a huge decrease in the DL and DE talent. 

The question is, as it currently stands on this roster, what’s their maximum potential. To me, we have enough good parts to win 9 or 10 games if we play exceptional.

25 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Consider the play where LSUs freshman linebacker Perkins ran our super fast qb down for a TFL, and the play where Ojulari caused the fumble that led to the scoop and score. We have not one LB or edge rusher with those kinds of quicks and closing speed. Those guys could run with our DBs. We have solid, middle of the pack SEC talent, but not close to the top tier of the conference. 

Pretty sure both those were Oujulari.

26 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

The only true weak points are QB and OL. The defense has talent, but plays inconsistently. The offense has plenty of skill makers, but the coaches are failing to use them in a way that combats our deficiencies. So, I voted B because I think the talent is mostly there. But the coaches are lost. They have no idea how to scheme around our deficiencies. With a different coaching staff, this could be a top 1/2 maybe even top 1/3 team. But, this staff is severely handicapping them. 

Also, our recruiting is the worst it’s been since recruiting rankings have been a thing. So, ask me again after signing day if we keep Harsin or hire another dud.

Linebacker is a serious weak spot too. Steiner doesn’t see the field for any other SEC team except maybe Vandy or Miss State.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Where do you guys see our talent? I’ve seen a wide spectrum of opinion on this since before Gus was even fired.

To me, after last night, I think it’s clear we have around a B level talent pool. All these blown leads against quality (sometimes highly ranked) teams shows we have the dudes to jump out to leads, but don’t have the coaches to hold those leads.

To me, that’s actually encouraging. And it makes sense. Gus didn’t leave an empty cupboard, and this was never supposed to be a full rebuild. Some people (and at times, myself) have cited very poor position groups (the O line) to push the narrative that the entire team is equally barren. 

I don’t think so. Robby threw for 340 yards last night. Our defense stifled LSU. Not only should it have been a win. It should have been a blowout win. We’ve had similar games where our players were better, but Harsin’s staff undid their work.

But what do y’all think?

I think the players mostly undid their work.

16 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

RA just didn’t see him on the fumble play. He didn’t outrun RA. Not sure if the other play.

35 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I know the fumble was caused by him, but I remember a play where Robbie was trying to get to the corner and the announcers called out Perkins by name and he was running like a gazelle. 

But what do y’all think?

Also shows our lack of depth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Also shows our lack of depth. 

Yes. Our 2 LBs last night played almost every snap. Same for several of our defenders. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think the players mostly undid their work.

I don’t agree at all. If Harsin just calls conservatively and takes the field goals he could have taken last night we win. He’s done stuff like that since he’s been here. 

• Like 1

But what do y’all think?

You may be correct, but Robby also fumbled what three or four times and threw another interception. I would have to put our talent in the mid to low C range and the actual coaching is an F. I know Mizzou gave GA all they wanted, but I don’t believe in this staff for one minute to even think we will come near as close in Athens next week. 

• Like 1

Here is my take and I’m comparing it to good to very good SEC teams in the past.  It’s not necessarily to any particular team, just my overall viewing of good teams in the past.

DB’s-Average talent at the cornerback position and slightly below average at safety 

LB’s-below average.  Not good in pass coverage, tackling and filling gaps.  Get pushed around way too much 

DL- below average at tackle and slightly above average at edge.  By far the best game against LSU for the line, but they were playing several freshman.   
OL-below average and this horse has been beaten silly

RB- above average and if they played on a good line, you would see how good they really are 

QB- below average and I’m not sure any would start for any other SEC team, besides Vandy.  
WR-average.  Haven’t seen anything that would convince me otherwise but that is probably due to coaching 

TE-average.  Miss a lot of blocks but they have shown that they can catch 

Overall, there is no depth on the defensive line and linebackers.   If the backups on the offensive line are worse than the starters, they need processed off.   I would give overall talent a C-

• Like 1

This roster is not well constructed. The o-line is bad, there are serious depth problems in the defensive front seven, and there's no obvious answer at QB. All that said, I think there is an alternate universe where this team is a salty, scrappy "nobody wants to play us, especially in JHS" 7-9 win team that gives everyone on the schedule all they can handle. The problem really is the coaching. Look at last year's Tennessee squad. They were in WAY worse roster shape than Auburn is now and looked like it but they clearly and consistently improved every week and clawed their way to arguably a way better season than they had any business having.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, provibe said:

Well honestly compared to what most coaches inherit we were absolutely stacked outside of wr and oline. Left us w some amazing rbs, a capable sec freshman of the year qb, stout d to boot. I knew year one would be huge for harsin in order to get recruiting on track but unfortunately he hired bobo and that hurt a lot imo. The oline is where we lacked but that was no secret and at least two or three portal guys should have been brought in immediately.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although not gospel, 24/7 has our roster ranked 18th in the country as far as talent.  This puts us at 6th in the SEC behind Bama, UGA, aTm, LSU, FL.  So, theoretically, we should be a top 20 team but are performing nowhere near that level.

If you look at recruiting right now for 2023, we have only 10 commits.  Bama has 23 commits with five 5-star players.  UGA has 20 commits with one 5-star player. UT has 20 commits with one 5-star player.  So in his 2nd season, Heupel is recruiting in the top 10.  Where's Auburn? We're at #55.  This makes us last in the SEC and behind Vanderbilt (who's #50). 

Harsin is the worst recruiter in Auburn history, by far.  Even Barfield was better.  You have to literally TRY to have Auburn be #55 in the nation.