Portal Rebuild....

W.E.D

Just a stat interesting to see and the possibility of quickly changing direction of a program through the portal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

The right coach will take advantage of the portal while developing sustainable recruiting. 

We won't have a rebuild, even with how depleted we are at key positions. 

I keep seeing people say this and all I can say is that you are fooling yourself.

I’ve seen folks banging on Lane for his lack of recruiting, looks like he may just be ahead of the curve and maybe some folks need to be a little backtracking when it comes to his recruiting ability. 

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Just a stat interesting to see and the possibility of quickly changing direction of a program through the portal

Important stats to consider.

10 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I’ve seen folks banging on Lane for his lack of recruiting, looks like he may just be ahead of the curve and maybe some folks need to be a little backtracking when it comes to his recruiting ability. 

I would say my hesitation with him would be his coaching acumen. He makes some real boneheaded decisions that have caused him to lose games. I like him but I still don’t think he would be able to do anything better than what we have been in our past. I honestly don’t think any of the coaches that people list are game changers or would elevate our program past what Gus did. The only one where I can see that with is Deion Sanders…

Thanks W.  I hadn't seen any stats, but I just felt CLK was making the most of the Portal. Auburn will have to do better handling this area of "recruiting" or get left way behind. I don't see Lane being too stubborn with his ideology to refuse to listen to knowledgeable Assistants, Analysts, and support staff. He has a good resume for SEC coaching and learned a lot I think. We could do a lot worse.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, autan said:

Thanks W.  I hadn't seen any stats, but I just felt CLK was making the most of the Portal. Auburn will have to do better handling this area of "recruiting" or get left way behind. I don't see Lane being too stubborn with his ideology to refuse to listen to knowledgeable Assistants, Analysts, and support staff. He has a good resume for SEC coaching and learned a lot I think. We could do a lot worse.

We almost certainly will do worse. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I would say my hesitation with him would be his coaching acumen. He makes some real boneheaded decisions that have caused him to lose games. I like him but I still don’t think he would be able to do anything better than what we have been in our past. I honestly don’t think any of the coaches that people list are game changers or would elevate our program past what Gus did. The only one where I can see that with is Deion Sanders…

That is definitely something to consider (poor coaching decisions), especially given the experts we have on this forum!!

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I keep seeing people say this and all I can say is that you are fooling yourself.

How so? If we get a big hire, there is no reason to think we aren't at 8+ wins by year 2 at the latest. 

We continually forget that Gus always won 8 games with a lack of development across the board offensively.

Why couldn't a coach that recruits well and fills immediate gaps win quickly? 

22 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

How so? If we get a big hire, there is no reason to think we aren't at 8+ wins by year 2 at the latest. 

We continually forget that Gus always won 8 games with a lack of development across the board offensively.

Why couldn't a coach that recruits well and fills immediate gaps win quickly? 

Sure, 8+ wins by year 2 is a reasonable expectation.  That is not how I read the post I was replying though.  I took it to mean a coach could have us competing at a high level though one portal class.

Edited by dyehardfanAU

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Ole Miss didn't have an exciting high school recruiting class but many ignored how they've done in the portal the past few years. Instant impact...they're getting from transfers. I don't think USC is a playoff team currently, especially on defense but you can tell the difference the transfers have made. You can see the progression each week. It's been shown with teams like Arkansas, Tenn, Kansas and USC that if you get the right coach in place that it doesn't take 3 or 4 years to have a program going in the right direction.

The portal is a major game changer. I understand that it's important to have patience but there should be signs of improvement with a new coach from week to week and year to year. Florida was a disaster but you can already see signs that with 1 -2 recruiting classes and transfers they are  likely winning 8-9+ games. Richardson may or may not be the QB to lead them to that but I'm willing to bet Napier will get 1 or 2 more top QBs into the program quickly to determine that.

This is exactly why i want a HC that's proven they can come into AU and build it up quickly. Make the most of what they currently have while doing whatever it takes to recruit and develop new incoming talent. Yes, i'm bias but nobody can convenience me that a coach that can do that at places like Arkansas, Ole Miss or Kansas wouldn't at least be interested in hearing from a school like Auburn to do the same with better resources and opportunity to take us to another level they likely can't reach at aforementioned schools. I'm not expecting AU to be Bama or Ohio State every year but there's no reason why Auburn shouldn't be in the next group of teams mentioned as contenders more years than not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Sure, 8+ wins by year 2 is a reasonable expectation.  That is not how I read the post I was replying though.  I took it to mean a coach could have us competing at a high level though one portal class.

I'd entail a rebuild as years of correcting issues before success. 

I don't think we would go from this debacle to 10 wins with 1 portal class, but I think we can have a respectable season and be winning against rivals within a year or 2. 

IF we’re already willing and understanding it could take the next coach 2 yrs here, then I’m ready to cut this crew loose, name an interim and get after a committee to crank up the interviews.  I don’t like there being 5 other teams in the market to a HC, GATech is the only southern team but there will surely be more competition as the season progresses. 

• Like 2