Westry Out

TexasTiger

It says he will be out 3-4 weeks so I am assuming was just a scope to clean up some cartilage or something similar. He should be back in time for SEC season but with Flanigan out we will be hurting at SF for a while. I am praying he has a quick and complete recovery and we don't bring him back to soon.

Auburn freshman Chance Westry undergoes minor knee procedure

By NATHAN KINGThu Oct 06 2022

Share22 Comments

Auburn freshman Chance Westry will miss three-to-four weeks of preseason practice after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday, the program announced.

Head coach Bruce Pearl , who's been wearing a knee brace at practice recently, also underwent the same surgery by Dr. James Andrews. Pearl will return to the practice court Monday, while the hope is Westry will be ready for Auburn's season opener Nov. 7 against George Mason.

A 6-foot-6 wing from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Westry was the No. 44 overall prospect in the 2022 class. During Auburn's foreign tour in Israel this summer, he played the 1, 2 and 3 spots for the Tigers.

“He's really ahead of his years now,” junior guard K.D. Johnson said of Westry last week. “He knows a lot about basketball for being that young. Him knowing how to get off the ball when he needs to and knows how to play in the system that we're playing in — when BP gets him to where he needs to be, I know he'll be special. I know y'all will see it.”

22COMMENTS

He's now the second player currently unavailable in preseason practice, joining senior wing Allen Flanigan, who is away from the team for "personal family reasons," Pearl told reporters last week.

Ooof that is some valuable practice time he will be missing out on. That's a bummer. I'm really hoping for him to have a strong season, it's going to be critical for us this year

Edited by Tiger

If he's back by the season opener then it should not be a huge set back. We have a back loaded OOC schedule this year so the first couple weeks can be used to get him back in the groove. Hope you heal quickly Chance, can't wait to watch you play this year!

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 8:40 PM, TXaubie said:

Any news on Chance?

Great question they said 3 to 4 weeks and this is week 5. I would rather err on longer wait to be sure he is alright but would like to hear his rehab includes some running by now.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

The first dangerous game on our schedule is St. Louis. It would be nice to have him back at least one game before that. I hope they take their time with him to be sure he's ready. 

2 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

The first dangerous game on our schedule is St. Louis. It would be nice to have him back at least one game before that. I hope they take their time with him to be sure he's ready. 

You don't think South Fl is dangerous? I have not look at them this season but i know we major struggled with them last year. 

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

You don't think South Fl is dangerous? I have not look at them this season but i know we major struggled with them last year. 

Shouldn't be. Their NET ranking currently is 245, their Kenpom is 186. They lost their first game against Southeast Missouri who has a NET of 250 and a Kenpom of 292. Anything can happen in basketball, though but I would be disappointed if we struggled with them.

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Shouldn't be. Their NET ranking currently is 245, their Kenpom is 186. They lost their first game against Southeast Missouri who has a NET of 250 and a Kenpom of 292. Anything can happen in basketball, though but I would be disappointed if we struggled with them.

Yeah after my post I went and looked them up. They must have lost some talent from last year. Pretty sure I remember last year was a pretty bad shooting night for us at their place. Hopefully we can perform better on our home court

On 11/10/2022 at 11:16 AM, gravejd said:

Guess they were.