Matt Rhule Fired

Bro Johnny Mac

22 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I remember another great college coach that failed in the pros and went back to rebuild a college team into a perennial National Championship contender.  His name is Nick Saban y’all might have heard of him.  

Before he failed in the pros Nick had won 2 Sec titles and a national championship at LSU. He was already an elite college coach before Bama ever hired him. 

as has been mentioned numerous times here, Rhule has a poor record against top 25 teams at Baylor, his big 12 championship team, while good, coasted on a very easy schedule on a weak Big12 that year. 

these 2 situations are astronomically different IMO. I’d be more worried about his college success being fools gold than o am about his nfl tenure. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1

Just now, AUwent said:

Ok, you win. 

Look I’ve come to have the same #1 pick as you I just don’t think he would come unfortunately.

I just think Auburn fans need to be realistic. Every stinking coach, you can point to and be like "SEEEEEEE." Put all the options on a board and pick the one with the less Cons.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just think Auburn fans need to be realistic. Every stinking coach, you can point to and be like "SEEEEEEE." Put all the options on a board and pick the one with the less Cons.

Yeah. Like I said I want the same guy as you but I know it’d be too awesome to happen. : /

Edited by AUwent

This would be an interesting hire.  He turned around a horrible, horrible situation at Baylor. Even worse than ours.  He could start right away, and he will be able to recruit a hell of a staff.  I'd put him at the top of the list to talk to.  I think a number of college programs are going to jump on this opportunity.  We could use the instant credibility that he would bring.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1

Even if we wanted Matt Rhule as our next HC, I doubt he would come here. I could see Rhule getting the Wisconsin or Nebraska job. He did a really good job at Temple and Baylor. Art Briles really hurt Baylor with that scandal. Jim Grobe took over for 1 season to try and right the ship. Rhule was hired after Grobe's 1 season and Rhule turned that program around. Dave Aranda was able to come in and be very competitive immediately. 

Rhule is a college coach just like Saban, Spurrier, Urban Meyer, Bobby Petrino, Chip Kelly and others that did well in college but failed in the pro's. He will land on his feet but I highly doubt he wants it to be here at Auburn.

Would it be terrible to say that Rhule as HC, Deion as OC and maybe coach Boom as DC? Hard to just toss out the possibility of Rhule. They did beat Texas that year and Texas ended up as #25. In the conference championship game they took #7 Oklahoma to OT (Oklahoma was one of the teams in the playoffs). Could he recruit....4th in recruiting in Big 12 over the last 4 years. If we put Deion in as the the OC that may become a moot point. I can't say he is my #1 choice for HC but who knows.

49 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Taking the orange and blue glasses off and be objective. Who the he’ll do y’all think Auburn can get? Everybody knows it’s not an easy job, it seems like nobody’s good enough for some on here. But who do you REALISTICALLY think Auburn can get?

Rhule should definitely at least be in consideration 

I would also consider Matt Rhule big time. He did great for Temple and anyone judging him while he was at Baylor is a fool. The ONLY season that matters there is 2019. He lost twice to Oklahoma in close games and to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. That's not too shabby and based on the trajectory he would have definitely beaten ranked teams moving forward. He can coach. He can recruit. He has won everywhere he has been. 

You judge a coach on year 3. Year 1 never counts unless there are issues like we apparently had last season. Year two you want to see improvement which we aren't having.

Matt Rhule:

Temple was horrible before he got there.

Year 1: 2-10

Year 2: 6-6

Year 3: 10-3

Year 4: 10-3

Baylor was a train wreck when he took that job as well.

Year 1: 1-11

Year 2: 7-6

Years 3: 11-3

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, einatlanta said:

Would it be terrible to say that Rhule as HC, Deion as OC and maybe coach Boom as DC? Hard to just toss out the possibility of Rhule. They did beat Texas that year and Texas ended up as #25. In the conference championship game they took #7 Oklahoma to OT (Oklahoma was one of the teams in the playoffs). Could he recruit....4th in recruiting in Big 12 over the last 4 years. If we put Deion in as the the OC that may become a moot point. I can't say he is my #1 choice for HC but who knows.

HELL NO! I don't want Muschump anywhere near Auburn! 

• Thanks 1

I'm the president of the anti-Rhule club. As a lifelong Panthers fan I've seen way too many blunders and bone headed idiotic decisions from him from a game management standpoint that I don't want this guy to lead our program at all. Yes I know he's better suited for college but HARD PASS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

HELL NO! I don't want Muschump anywhere near Auburn! 

That's fine. We are both entitled to our opinion. I look at the differences between our defense from 2014 to 2016 and it is a stark difference for points allowed. He also brought in some highly rated recruits. I always hated that Cowart could not find a niche and get rolling. Glad he made it to the NFL for a while at least.

• Like 1

Yeah I hope not. Hopefully we will get a Kevin Steele, Rhett Lashlee, Gus Malzhan, Gene Chizik type coach! Why the heck would we want a guy that rebuilt a lower tier Big 12 program from ashes and made them winners in college in just a short period of time. Also don’t care for the incredible job he did at Temple either. I’d rather take my chances with Chip Lindsey, and make sure we overpay, please! Don’t forget the bigger the buyout the better too!

If we can’t land Chip then I say back the truck up for Kenny Dillingham, let’s go!

Edited by sevenlee36

Matt Rhule is the best option available. Don’t judge his NFL record. Plenty of great college coaches crash and burn in the NFL. Go by his experience as a college coach. In spite of his”0-11” record against ranked teams at Baylor, consider what he inherited and the consider year 3 where he took Oklahoma(a playoff team) to the wire twice and gave the #4 team(UGa) a fit. There is not another Nick Saban or Kirby Smart available. This would be a great hire and would Pat dividends quickly. The arguments against this hire is asinine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Matt Rhule is the best option available. Don’t judge his NFL record. Plenty of great college coaches crash and burn in the NFL. Go by his experience as a college coach. In spite of his”0-11” record against ranked teams at Baylor, consider what he inherited and the consider year 3 where he took Oklahoma(a playoff team) to the wire twice and gave the #4 team(UGa) a fit. There is not another Nick Saban or Kirby Smart available. This would be a great hire and would Pat dividends quickly. The arguments against this hire is asinine.

No he’s terrible. We don’t care about the great job he did in college. If you can’t make it in the NFL you can’t make it in college. I mean just look at Saban, Spurrier, Myer, Kelly, etc.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I'm the president of the anti-Rhule club. As a lifelong Panthers fan I've seen way too many blunders and bone headed idiotic decisions from him from a game management standpoint that I don't want this guy to lead our program at all. Yes I know he's better suited for college but HARD PASS

And even without all of what you said I wouldn’t want him because he can’t recruit  in the SEC. He’s just another Harsin type of hire who doesn’t care a lot about recruiting. Doesn’t eat, sleep and breathe it. Doesn’t prioritize it And isn’t even particularly good at it either. It would be the same talking points we heard about Harsin. How he is a great evaluator blah blah blah all code for not good at recruiting.

He would be good for Wisconsin or Nebraska. Not the most cutthroat recruiting landscape in major college football which is the sec. plus I keep reading that he never beat a ranked team at Baylor. No idea if it’s true but if it is? Lol yikes.

• Thanks 1

At the very baseline this needs to be a James Franklin kind of hire when it comes to recruiting. We need at the least a really good recruiter. Anyone who can’t give us that? Pass! Next! We have a massive hole to dig ourselves out of. A relentless recruiter with the portal and the traditional route is what AU needs more than anything. Of course it would help if our big money guys finally open up their wallets for the new coach to in regards to NIL.

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Would be just as bad as Hugh Freeze. 

Freeze knows how to play ball in recruiting. Hard pass on any guy who has no clue what it takes to succeed in big boy recruiting. No southeast ties either. Please don’t make this Groundhog Day. Would be the exact same problem as our beloved Harsin. 

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Probably because he has rebuilt and won at two programs that were traditionally not know for winning. (Rebuilt after Briles) I would not disqualify him on this metric alone. 

I will disqualify him for recruiting alone.

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I remember another great college coach that failed in the pros and went back to rebuild a college team into a perennial National Championship contender.  His name is Nick Saban y’all might have heard of him.  

Oh good grief. Not this Knick knack paddywhack bs again.  Rhule nor anyone else is Saban or Pete Carroll. Just because they are failed nfl coaches and come back to college or come to college for the first time as a head coach in Pete’s case doesn’t mean that they are going to be the 2 biggest success stories of failed nfl coaches going back to college or to college.

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

If he had actually beaten some ranked teams I’d say HELL YES.

😂😂 lmao all it would of taken is only 1 win Vs a ranked team and you would of been sold hook 🪝 line and sinker?? Man you do not have very high standards bruh! Lol

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

At the very baseline this needs to be a James Franklin kind of hire when it comes to recruiting. We need at the least a really good recruiter. Anyone who can’t give us that? Pass! Next! We have a massive hole to dig ourselves out of. A relentless recruiter with the portal and the traditional route is what AU needs more than anything. Of course it would help if our big money guys finally open up their wallets for the new coach to in regards to NIL.

Auburn’s problem isn’t the NIL. 
https://www.si.com/college/auburn/.amp/football/nil-auburn-footballs-deals-are-double-the-national-average

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

If we want a recruiter let’s wait until Jimbo gets canned from A&M or Mario at the U. We need a coach who can mold something out of what he has (coaching and development) with the ability to sell his vision and outlook for his program recruit. Can’t be a one trick pony. There are potential coaches who can do both. Matt Rhule has proven he can coach in college ball, and rebuild programs out of the dirt. Auburn is in the dirt. Surround him with the right resources at a school like Auburn, and I think he can do well. Also recruiting to Auburn vs Baylor will give him a opp to bring in better players, as Auburn has a better rep as a football school. 

Edited by PoetTiger

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Freeze knows how to play ball in recruiting.

He certainly knew how to get himself and his school in trouble over recruiting. Also, we'd have to take his cell phone away from him and write in the contract that he can't get another one. Other than that, what can possibly go wrong?

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Minus his lack of SEC experience this could be a very tempting move.

He has a huge layout coming from the Panthers.  Maybe we can pay him a good salary and load up on his staff salaries.

That's a take that makes sense.