4* OL Clay Wedin COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!

aubiefifty

24 minutes ago, rophle said:

If blue chips start coming because of the NIL, then they won’t care who the head coach is

Honestly, if we start rolling in blue chip recruits (especially on the OL) I dont care who the coach is. It's jimmies and Joes in this league. We can sort out the coaching when the cupboard is stocked. 

Im super stoked on this pickup though. War Damn Clay and War Damn Eagle! This is the type of young man I want blocking in the trenches....the young man is probably 17-18 and has a better beard than me. I like it. A Young Thundercat!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Friend and Harsin doing work!!!!!

No.  Not at all.

This was all Caddy and Bernardi. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Don’t ruin my fun, Bird.

I thought it was hilarious lol

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, DAG said:

How are dudes committing when I am hearing coaches aren't actively recruiting? Doesn't make sense.

Spot on!! No "offense", BUT THE LAST PLACE ON EARTH I would come to at the moment would be Auburn, as a Offensive lineman. It would be a career killer if you had aspirations of playing in the NFL.

• Facepalm 2

Sorry, I just don't understand the logic used by players committing to Auburn football at this time, from basically August 2022 through and until the next coach is hired. What's the point? How can any player be sure he will fit with the new scheme? I have more respect for the players "hiding" at schools like TAMU and who will transfer to Auburn once Sanders becomes coach - you'll hear a giant sucking sounds and it'll be a good one - like much of the talent on many of the rosters around the country, suddenly being drawn to the loveliest village on the plain. Oh, what a happy day. 

7 hours ago, Systems said:

Sorry, I just don't understand the logic used by players committing to Auburn football at this time, from basically August 2022 through and until the next coach is hired. What's the point? How can any player be sure he will fit with the new scheme? I have more respect for the players "hiding" at schools like TAMU and who will transfer to Auburn once Sanders becomes coach - you'll hear a giant sucking sounds and it'll be a good one - like much of the talent on many of the rosters around the country, suddenly being drawn to the loveliest village on the plain. Oh, what a happy day. 

Every team got to have OL, no matter what the scheme.

9 hours ago, Systems said:

Sorry, I just don't understand the logic used by players committing to Auburn football at this time,

They like the school and want to secure a spot? As far as scheme, by and large a good player can be made to fit any scheme.

4 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Every team got to have OL, no matter what the scheme.

Still, the player must be re-evaluated again by the new staff, who is under no obligation to honor the previous staff & committments. 

17 minutes ago, Systems said:

Still, the player must be re-evaluated again by the new staff, who is under no obligation to honor the previous staff & committments. 

Pickings are going to be so slim by the time we hire a new coach there is no way the new staff will be able to be that choosey by ESD.

Edited by dyehardfanAU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Systems said:

They (whoever that is) would be stupid not to honor this one. Huge OL which we need many of them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Pickings are going to be so slim by the time we hire a new coach there is no way the new staff will be able to be that choosey by ESD.

Entirely not true.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

They (whoever that is) would be stupid not to honor this one. Huge OL which we need many of them.

It's up to the new coach so commits now are foolishing or misguided at least.

18 hours ago, Systems said:

Entirely not true.

One, even right now, today, most of the top prospects are committed elsewhere. Pickings will indeed be slim. We are in no position to be turning good prospects away.

Two, this year there is no annual limit of 25. There is absolutely no reason not to retain those who are already committed to Auburn. Even if pickings weren't slim, just add on to what we already have. While Harsin's numbers are poor, the quality of the players he did get is very good. Keep 'em and add more.

Three, the only limit to worry about is the overall limit of 85 on scholarship. AU is overloaded with older players who will be leaving after this season. We could sign 25+ high schoolers and still pick up a number of guys through the portal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

One, even right now, today, most of the top prospects are committed elsewhere. Pickings will indeed be slim. We are in no position to be turning good prospects away.

Two, this year there is no annual limit of 25. There is absolutely no reason not to retain those who are already committed to Auburn. Even if pickings weren't slim, just add on to what we already have. While Harsin's numbers are poor, the quality of the players he did get is very good. Keep 'em and add more.

Three, the only limit to worry about is the overall limit of 85 on scholarship. AU is overloaded with older players who will be leaving after this season. We could sign 25+ high schoolers and still pick up a number of guys through the portal.

Isn't that special. You have a 3-point plan. If it were any good, you'd be on staff so, IGNORE. The point is: New Head Coach, New Evaluation of Coaching Staff & Player Personnel. Period. To argue otherwise, insisting the new coach keep players he may consider unworthy; I mean, what do you want the new guy to do: play Bo Nix again - wtf?

New Coach. New Start. Keep your player evaluations as your own. 

Edited by Systems
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, Systems said:

New Coach. New Start. Keep your player evaluations as your own. 

So kick what we've got to the curb when the cycle is virtually over? Bring in few to none at all and be worse in the depth department than we are this year? Yeah, that make a lot of sense. (NOT)

What you fail to realize is that whoever the new coach is, he'll be scrambling for warm bodies in a year when there is no downside to over-signinjg. Turning any reasonable prospect down would be beyond stupid.

• Like 1

Just now, Mikey said:

So kick what we've got to the curb when the cycle is virtually over? Bring in few to none at all and be worse in the depth department than we are this year? Yeah, that make a lot of sense. (NOT)

What you fail to realize is that whoever the new coach is, he'll be scrambling for warm bodies in a year when there is no downside to over-signinjg. Turning any reasonable prospect down would be beyond stupid.

No, you're entirely wrong again. There won't be any more scrambling than there's been in the past 2.5 years. If anything, it'll get better and if D.Sanders is hired, it'll be great - a great flood of eligible talent coming into Auburn, moving out these early commits who have less stars assigned. I've made my point convincingly to myself, so I'm done w/ this argument and very, very glad YOU are NOT running anything at Auburn Athletics. 

• Facepalm 1

30 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Yes - everyone is out until they're in. That's how it should be done. Can you imagine the utter stupidity of a head coach making $7M/year taking advice from some of us making $70K/year? Ridiculous. Just let the man make his own decision is all I'm saying. How in the world is that so hard for you to reckon?

Edited by Systems
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, Systems said:

How in the world is that so hard for you to reckon?

Obviously don't understand how the recruiting game works.

13 hours ago, Systems said:

a great flood of eligible talent coming into Auburn, moving out these early commits who have less stars assigned.

You don't follow recruiting much do you? You're not familiar with how the cycles, limits and so forth work. If you were you wouldn't make the assumption that a new coach at Auburn will have a full compliment of players to pick from between now and the late signing period in February. There is no "great flood of eligible talent" out there. It's already spoken for.

You'd also know that what few guys Harsin has committed are of excellent quality. Harsin's problem is numbers of players, not quality. The star rating of the committed guys is as good as anybody's and much better than what's available now and what will be available between now and the start of the next cycle in the summer of 2023.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

You don't follow recruiting much do you? You're not familiar with how the cycles, limits and so forth work. If you were you wouldn't make the assumption that a new coach at Auburn will have a full compliment of players to pick from between now and the late signing period in February. There is no "great flood of eligible talent" out there. It's already spoken for.

You'd also know that what few guys Harsin has committed are of excellent quality. Harsin's problem is numbers of players, not quality. The star rating of the committed guys is as good as anybody's and much better than what's available now and what will be available between now and the start of the next cycle in the summer of 2023.

LITERALLY - I'm not reading any of your posts - you're not a recruiting coach on the staff then you're just an idiot w/a keyboard like me. Let the new coach make his choice. Good day sir. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't always agree with Mikey's posts, but he's spot on in this one. Beggars can't be choosers, and if anyone's watched Auburn football this year, we're poor, hungry, tired, blind, broken beggars. We better not look any sort of gift horse, or recruit, in the mouth this season, no matter who the AD, coach, or assistants are. 

1 hour ago, AUINSY said:

I don't always agree with Mikey's posts, but he's spot on in this one. Beggars can't be choosers, and if anyone's watched Auburn football this year, we're poor, hungry, tired, blind, broken beggars. We better not look any sort of gift horse, or recruit, in the mouth this season, no matter who the AD, coach, or assistants are. 

You're not a beggar unless you think you are.