Flanigan Returns to Practice

toddc

Allen Flanigan returns to Auburn basketball practice after brief time away

Justin Hokanson

Photo by Getty Images

AUBURN – Allen Flanigan returned to Auburn basketball practice on Monday, October 10, and is good to go moving forward as the Tigers prepare for their opener on November 7 against George Mason.

Head coach Bruce Pearl confirmed the news on Wednesday while speaking to the media prior to Auburn’s Pro Day. Flanigan has been absent from the team since September 26 due to “personal” and “family” reasons, according to Pearl.

Everyone on the Auburn basketball roster is now healthy and practicing, with the exception of freshman Chance Westry. The standout guard had minor knee surgery last week and will be out around six weeks. Sources inside the program considered Westry one of the best players during Auburn’s foreign trip to Israel.

Following Flanigan’s decision to return after flirting with the NBA Draft process, he told Auburn Live, “getting the feedback and realizing that I can possibly be going in the second round, but coming back to school, better myself, have a healthy season, and improve my draft stock.”

The Arkansas native was a Coaches’ Preseason All-SEC First Team selection prior to last season, but that was before Flanigan injured his Achilles and underwent offseason surgery. Flanigan only played 22 games as a result and didn’t return until essentially SEC play.

RELATED: BRUCE PEARL, ‘JABARI-LESS’ TIGERS PREPARE FOR THE SEASON

He just recently returned to 100 percent health.

Expectations will be high for Flanigan to return to his sophomore form that saw him score 14 points, grab five boards, and dish out three assists per game. In league play, Flanigan’s averaged nearly 15 points and six boards per game two seasons ago.

Flanigan raised his points per game +11.1 points from his freshman to sophomore seasons.

Last season, the Tigers’ forward never fully found his stride on the offensive end. Recovering from the injury, along with meshing with new teammates across the board, stunted Flanigan’s growth.

Auburn needs Flanigan healthy and confident for the upcoming season in order to compete for another SEC championship.

“I’m going to work every day. When we lace up those sneakers in the fall, I want to be a problem on the floor. I want to get back to myself, but better,” he said.

• Like 3

I think he and Westry are the key to how good this team will be. I am not saying either will be our best player but that we are very strong at Center  (Broome and Cardwell) and PF (Traore and Willims)  We have a plethora of players at Guard PG (Zep, Green, Donaldson) SG (KD, Zep and Berman) our area of weakness is all of our guards are short Westry helps there as he can play PG, SG, SF and our other weakness is SF Moore)  but with Flanigan and Westry we address both the quality and depth of the SF position.

Westry and Flanigan turn an area of weakness into an area of strength assuming that we have the Flanigan of 2 years ago. Those 2 give us height athleticism and defensive prowess at the SG and SF position while also being able to generate Offense.

• Like 1

I'll put my money on Dylan Cardwell...love his ENERGY and EFFORT when he takes the court....you can win a lot of titles and with him...

Still don't have a 3. Flan ain't the answer. Look for Zep, Westry, and Moore to play significantly at the 3

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

Still don't have a 3. Flan ain't the answer. Look for Zep, Westry, and Moore to play significantly at the 3

Wait Zep at the 3?? I don't see how that could work. I'm not confident he can guard some of the SFs we will see I feel like he will be giving up so much size and length

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Wait Zep at the 3?? I don't see how that could work. I'm not confident he can guard some of the SFs we will see I feel like he will be giving up so much size and length

Yep. Not ideal in any way, but this is what they're having to try.  At least he'll stick to them defensively.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

We don't disagree often but a healthy Flan can can play the three.

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We don't disagree often but a healthy Flan can can play the three.

I agree 100%...

On 10/12/2022 at 9:49 PM, Cardin Drake said:

Good news. I don't think we can be an elite team without him playing and returning to form.

Returning to form implies that he had reached the form he needed to or was capable of at some point in the past. In his best season he was a 45% shooter from the floor, 33% shooter from three, had a negative assist to turnover ratio, while averaging 14pts and 5boards a game.

On 10/14/2022 at 4:49 PM, bigbird said:

Flannigan can be a solid piece for this team at the 3, but it has to be in the right role. He is a capable ball handler under limited pressure, can be good a rebounding at times, good defender for stretches, and his athleticism is elite when he's healthy. He's a role player, and can be a great one. The NBA is full of role players. His size and explosiveness can be a huge lift for this team at the three. Combined with Westery at the two and the size/skill of our 4s/5s, we could go big and not lose any speed. I am excited he's back, but I hope he accepts a role that he can succeed in. 

• Like 2

On 10/14/2022 at 4:49 PM, bigbird said:

Missed practice is part of it.

Last year before the season started they were saying Moore had great shooting form then he disappeared.  I was expecting him to have a break out year last year especially with Flanigan recovery from injury. What happened?

19 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Last year before the season started they were saying Moore had great shooting form then he disappeared.  I was expecting him to have a break out year last year especially with Flanigan recovery from injury. What happened?

I think the light came on for him a little bit playing in Israel and hopefully that carries over to the season.

7 hours ago, toddc said:

I think the light came on for him a little bit playing in Israel and hopefully that carries over to the season.

He's pushing for PT.  

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, toddc said:

I haven't seen anything on display that leads to expect Moore to have good shooting form. I think his rebounding and defense and general energy play can be a big asset.