Gus

tbone4jc

40 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You know where he wasn't successful? Auburn.  

His eight-year run at Auburn was more successful than not. Also, no Gus as OC, no natty in 2010. Then there's a run to the Championship game in 2013. You may day dream of constant 10-win seasons at Auburn but that has never been the case. Gus's win percentage at AU is better than the school's history. Gus= .656 winning percentage. Auburn all time= .627 winning percentage. Unless you consider Auburn football to have been unsuccessful throughout history, then your assessment of Gus's tenure is not correct.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, bigbird said:

Your compulsion is hilarious 😂

As usual, when you cannot refute facts you resort to personal attacks, mindless gifs and emoticons. I've come to expect no better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

As usual, when you cannot refute facts you resort to personal attacks, mindless gifs and emoticons. I've come to expect no better.

Nothing personal about my comment.  Your compulsion is hilarious.  That's a fact. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Nothing personal about my comment.  Your compulsion is hilarious.  That's a fact. 

My compulsion is for the truth. Guilty as charged.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You know there are times I am reminded of that great great song by RATT not sure why

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You know there are times I am reminded of that great great song by RATT not sure why

Can set your clock to it

• Haha 1

I just keep in mind that most of the very vocal critics of Gus were also Harsin's biggest supporters.....so that tells you all you need to know. 

Why not wish Gus well and move on? The compulsion is in the constant posting and mean-spirited remarks about a man who gave Auburn over 10 years of his life and brought some great things like a Natty and another Heisman winner.  

There's a lot that Gus had to put up with, and some roadblocks that caused some of his problems, that many here don't know about. There's no point in discussing it since he's no longer at Auburn. 

But it's really funny how many people were making excuses for Harsin when in reality there were none to be made. He was a disaster from the day he got here and it has completely unraveled and cause a lot of harm to Auburn.

Objectivity is a lost art apparently. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Gus is a good football coach,,, anywhere but the SEC.  In the SEC, you have more future NFL defensive linemen than anywhere else.

You know what you need to stop future NFL defensive linemen???  Maybe some future NFL offensive linemen???

Gus could no longer get the job done.  Harsin never could get the job done.  One has nothing to do with the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 10/13/2022 at 11:27 PM, The Freak said:

It was Temple, c'mon.

ask yourself this. could auburn have beat ucf? no maybe ................a barely maybe if they get it together and play better we might have a chance. also what happened the last time we played them? we got our behind handed to us right? come on guys............and before someone comes at me i wanted gus gone.

I’m one of the people who thought it was time for Gus to go because we weren’t progressing and the program had become stale under his watch. However, I find it odd for people to minimize his accomplishments. Being objective, he was the most successful coach we’ve had since Dye. So, just because I’m glad he’s gone doesn’t mean I don’t realize that he has been the best coach in about 30 years…

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Being objective, he was the most successful coach we’ve had since Dye.

Subjectively maybe. Objectively, CTT had a better overall win %, in conference win %, an undefeated season, and a better bowl record. 

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Subjectively maybe. Objectively, CTT had a better overall win %, in conference win %, an undefeated season, and a better bowl record. 

CTT played in weaker SEC. He also benefited with a down UGA and UAT. He was an average coach at best who had two great teams in an other wise average tenure. It’s why there was a literal coup to undermine him. He lost so many games where we should have won. Him only winning the SEC title once should tell you how average of a coach he was and his subsequent coaching jobs tell you how mediocre of a coach he was. No way do I think CTT was as good of a coach as Gus. One memorable season doesn’t erase the other mediocre years and lost chances of winning the SEC. Gus at least would have us in the national conversation in November most years…

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

CTT played in weaker SEC. He also benefited with a down UGA and UAT. He was an average coach at best who had two great teams in an other wise average tenure. It’s why there was a literal coup to undermine him. He lost so many games where we should have won. Him only winning the SEC title once should tell you how average of a coach he was and his subsequent coaching jobs tell you how mediocre of a coach he was. No way do I think CTT was as good of a coach as Gus. One memorable season doesn’t erase the other mediocre years and lost chances of winning the SEC. Gus at least would have us in the national conversation in November most years…

That’s your subjective opinion. Objectively, the numbers are in CTTs favor. They each won one SEC title, and one other SEC West title, and each had a long list of games they lost that they should’ve won. CTTs subsequent job: Cincy. In the same Conference that Gus ended up in with UCF. 

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

That’s your subjective opinion. Objectively, the numbers are in CTTs favor. They each won one SEC title, and one other SEC West title, and each had a long list of games they lost that they should’ve won. CTTs subsequent job: Cincy. In the same Conference that Gus ended up in with UCF. 

I don’t think it’s a subjective opinion that he coached in a much weaker conference than Gus. I mean, Saban literally ran off Tuberville because he knew he wouldn’t be able to beat the one team he thought that mattered to beat for Auburn..

3 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

CTT played in weaker SEC. He also benefited with a down UGA and UAT.  

You might want to go back and look at UGA's records at the time. UGA was not even remotely close to down. Unless you consider six 10 win or better seasons between 2001 and 2008 as being down. 

Bama was down but LSU wasn't with Saban and then Les Miles.

Tuberville's record against top ten teams is the best in Auburn history at 15-14 and he is the only coach with a winning record against top ten teams.  Malzahn's is 4th best at 7-14.

Gus was better at recruiting but Tuberville was a better game day coach and a much better developer of talent. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nurbis said:

You might want to go back and look at UGA's records at the time. UGA was not even remotely close to down. Unless you consider six 10 win or better seasons between 2001 and 2008 as being down. 

Bama was down but LSU wasn't with Saban and then Les Miles.

Tuberville's record against top ten teams is the best in Auburn history at 15-14 and he is the only coach with a winning record against top ten teams.  Malzahn's is 4th best at 7-14.

Gus was better at recruiting but Tuberville was a better game day coach and a much better developer of talent. 

I will admit Tuberville was a better developer. But I will not agree with saying he played in a comparable league. I ever understood the adoration people had and have for that guy. He was the epitome of average and yet because he beat UAT when they were down he was a “top” coach. Again, I wanted Gus gone, but I would definitely take Gus over Tuberville. Tuberville literally ran when Saban came in because he knew he couldn’t recruit against him and knew his archaic ways weren’t going to get him anywhere…

47 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I will admit Tuberville was a better developer. But I will not agree with saying he played in a comparable league. I ever understood the adoration people had and have for that guy. He was the epitome of average and yet because he beat UAT when they were down he was a “top” coach. Again, I wanted Gus gone, but I would definitely take Gus over Tuberville. Tuberville literally ran when Saban came in because he knew he couldn’t recruit against him and knew his archaic ways weren’t going to get him anywhere…

His archaic ways? I mean he brought in tony franklin who (i hate franklin) was the absolute opposite of archaism, his offense was considered cutting edge. So i mean you can say whatever about tuburville but he definitely tried to mix things up.

• Like 1

Just now, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

His archaic ways? I mean he brought in tony franklin who (i hate franklin) was the absolute opposite of archaism, his offense was considered cutting edge. So i mean you can say whatever about tuburville but he definitely tried to mix things up.

As in not recruiting and thinking that he could coach up 3 stars to 5 stars. My bad for not clarifying…

Gustard's high flying offense with a whopping ten points against 4-3 East Carolina tonight through three quarters. 

I tuned in tonight to see if I could call the plays before the ball is snapped as usual.

Except for an occasional wrinkle I've pretty much nailed most of them. 

Same old formula. Load the box, stop the run, and you've pretty much got Gus in handcuffs. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1