Gus

tbone4jc

40 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Gustard's high flying offense with a whopping ten points against 4-3 East Carolina tonight through three quarters. 

I tuned in tonight to see if I could call the plays before the ball is snapped as usual.

Except for an occasional wrinkle I've pretty much nailed most of them. 

Same old formula. Load the box, stop the run, and you've pretty much got Gus in handcuffs. 

This was the first UCF game I have watched, since Gus took over there, and it was painfully familiar.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I will admit Tuberville was a better developer. But I will not agree with saying he played in a comparable league. I ever understood the adoration people had and have for that guy. He was the epitome of average and yet because he beat UAT when they were down he was a “top” coach. Again, I wanted Gus gone, but I would definitely take Gus over Tuberville. Tuberville literally ran when Saban came in because he knew he couldn’t recruit against him and knew his archaic ways weren’t going to get him anywhere…

Just FYI, Tuberville did not run from Saban.  Tuberville had problems to deal with away from football that I will not mention here. Just suffice it to say that any man would have a hard time concentrating on his job with what he was dealing with personally. 

3 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I will admit Tuberville was a better developer. But I will not agree with saying he played in a comparable league. I ever understood the adoration people had and have for that guy. He was the epitome of average and yet because he beat UAT when they were down he was a “top” coach. Again, I wanted Gus gone, but I would definitely take Gus over Tuberville. Tuberville literally ran when Saban came in because he knew he couldn’t recruit against him and knew his archaic ways weren’t going to get him anywhere…

CTT won 6 IBs in a row against uat -- more than any other AU coach in history.  If you don't think that matters, ask your nearest bammie fan if CTT's holding up fingers after the wins in those games still sticks in their craw.  And another thing, who cares if uat or the rest of the SEC was "down" when it happened?  AU has been down the last 5 years or so.  You think UGA or uat or any other SEC team who beats AU cares about that?  The one glaring problem I had with CTT was his practice of not scoring more points when he had the opportunity.  Even Steve Spurrier thought it was puzzling.  CTT was primarily defensive-minded so after getting ahead he tended to lean on the defense to preserve the lead.  Not a bad strategy usually but it came back to bite him in the azz more than a few times.  Also for the record in head-to-head against Saban, CTT was 4-3 (3-2 against LSU & 1-1 against uat.)         

• Like 2

UCF would beat aburn by 3 touchdowns if they met on a neutral field. It's sad that some people can't be happy for his success. Gus much like other coaches in the SEC was caught between two juggernauts in Bama and Georgia and yet gave us some opportunities to play for it all. Was he a great coach? No. Was a change needed? Yes. Was he better than most other SEC coaches not named Saban or Smart? Also yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

ask yourself this. could auburn have beat ucf? no maybe ................a barely maybe if they get it together and play better we might have a chance. also what happened the last time we played them? we got our behind handed to us right? come on guys............and before someone comes at me i wanted gus gone.

We got our behinds handed to us by UCF precisely because Gus was our coach. He refused to plan for the SEC title game and wanted to wrack up more than 200 yards on the Bama D when the game was won, injuring our star player, Kerryon Johnson, thus destroying our chances at an SEC title and national title/playoff run. He was chasing stats rather than winning the season. They just lost to East Carolina, ‘nuff said. 

Edited by AUINSY

4 hours ago, shabby said:

UCF would beat aburn by 3 touchdowns if they met on a neutral field

UCF is more talented. That's an indictment on Gus 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

UCF is more talented. That's an indictment on Gus. Harsin

Fixed it for you.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, AUINSY said:

He refused to plan for the SEC title game and wanted to wrack up more than 200 yards on the Bama D when the game was won, injuring our star player, Kerryon Johnson, thus destroying our chances at an SEC title

I hope you aren't one of those who complained about Gus sitting on a lead instead of continuing to score. The two gripes are mutually exclusive.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

UCF is more talented. That's an indictment on Gus 

Auburn started the season ranked 18th in total roster talent on team. The notion that we are less talented than ucf is laughable. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

Auburn started the season ranked 18th in total roster talent on team. The notion that we are less talented than ucf is laughable. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Based on HS stats.  They never developed much past that. 

Highly ranked classes that were rarely developed or retained that never adequately addressed team roster needs was the trademark of Gus' recruiting 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Highly ranked classes that were rarely developed or retained that never adequately addressed team roster needs was the trademark of Gus' recruiting 

Man, I hate to involve myself in yet another Gus argument but….honestly the highly ranked classes were such a mirage. Highly ranked mostly because of skill players, weak in the trenches. The poor development and utilization, especially of some highly ranked WRs, is the prime example. And, many of those highly ranked players were “athletes” that never really found a position. Ricardo Louis I think could have been a really good safety but ended up a mediocre WR- just one example I can think of off of the top of my head

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I hope you aren't one of those who complained about Gus sitting on a lead instead of continuing to score. The two gripes are mutually exclusive.

Nope. It’s the offense’s job to score. It’s the defense’s job to stop them. If people are mad about a team scoring points, well then the other team ought to tackle the opponent and stop them from doing so. But don’t run your star into the ground when the game is well in hand, just for stat’s sake. It’s like a good baseball coach/manager looking to win the 3-game or 7-game series and taking out a star pitcher to save him for the most important game if they’re up by 5+ runs in game 2 or 3, and leading the series. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Fixed it for you.

Gus and Hars are both responsible in their own ways. Both are/will be gone soon, and our university will be all the worse from their scorched earth coaching and recruiting. It’s possible to be a both/and instead of either/or.  

For me, the difference is I’ll wish Gus the best. I don’t think I can for Hars, at least not right now. 

Edited by AUINSY

38 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Gus always loses one or two of these games a year..........last year it was Navy

Cincinnati, Memphis & ... Navy still on the schedule.  Looking to be a solid year(!)  

I will always appreciate Gus because he brought some of the most fun years at AU early in his tenure. That being said I agree with others that he is an average coach who left us in a world of hurt. Our biggest mistake was waiting too long to get rid of him. I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

And yet, Coach Mazahn had Auburn ranked somewhere in the top ten almost every year, if not every year. They were developed better than most.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

And yet, Coach Mazahn had Auburn ranked somewhere in the top ten almost every year, if not every year. They were developed better than most.

Yeah, you're right. At some point we'd be top 10... then we started playing games and he was routinely exposed. How many times did he finish top 10?

At some point he was top ten...😂😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes indeed he was.

Look at the evidence can't you see we are words better with Harsin than we ever were with Gus😆

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 10:47 PM, AUloggerhead said:

CTT won 6 IBs in a row against uat -- more than any other AU coach in history.  If you don't think that matters, ask your nearest bammie fan if CTT's holding up fingers after the wins in those games still sticks in their craw.  And another thing, who cares if uat or the rest of the SEC was "down" when it happened?  AU has been down the last 5 years or so.  You think UGA or uat or any other SEC team who beats AU cares about that?  The one glaring problem I had with CTT was his practice of not scoring more points when he had the opportunity.  Even Steve Spurrier thought it was puzzling.  CTT was primarily defensive-minded so after getting ahead he tended to lean on the defense to preserve the lead.  Not a bad strategy usually but it came back to bite him in the azz more than a few times.  Also for the record in head-to-head against Saban, CTT was 4-3 (3-2 against LSU & 1-1 against uat.)         

I'll never forget when Tubs was asked about our offense struggling in the infamous 3-2 win over Mississippi State his last year 2008. He said "The best offense is a great defense." Being a defensive minded coach like he was, I think he truly meant that when he said it. 2008 was really bad because the Tony Franklin project was a bust, he was rotating Chris Todd and Kodi Burns at QB, we lost to Vanderbilt, barely beat Mississippi St. 3-2 and then Alabama finally beat us and it was a 36-0 beatdown. And even with all of those issues that year, Tuberville still fielded one of the best defenses in the country, giving up 18 ppg. The bad part is we also fielded one of the worst offenses in the country because we only averaged 17 ppg and barely 300 yards per game total on offense. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:59 PM, AUINSY said:

We got our behinds handed to us by UCF precisely because Gus was our coach. He refused to plan for the SEC title game and wanted to wrack up more than 200 yards on the Bama D when the game was won, injuring our star player, Kerryon Johnson, thus destroying our chances at an SEC title and national title/playoff run. He was chasing stats rather than winning the season. They just lost to East Carolina, ‘nuff said. 

You think Gus should've taken his foot off the gas in that Iron Bowl and also pull Kerryon off the field? We won that game by 12 points. That was Bama's only loss that year and they beat Georgia for the National Championship that year. That Bama offense could dang near score at will that season and their defense was great enough to make up that 12 point difference on their own. When you have the #1 team in the country down like that, especially your hated rival, you keep them down. Kerryon, as well as any other player on the field, could get hurt at anytime. I agree pulling starters in big blowouts but not against top teams, especially Alabama.

Funny thing is that our fans have a problem when Gus kept Kerryon in the game up 12 points on Bama but 2 weeks earlier nobody had a problem when he kept Kerryon in the game up 40-17 against #1 Georgia. 

He beat #1 UGA 40-17 and 2 weeks later beat #1 Alabama 26-14 and our fans still chose to find the negatives in it. 

I was all in favor of Gus being terminated but after this debacle we find ourselves in now, 15 years from now we may very well look back and say that his 8 years at Auburn weren't nearly as bad as what our fanbase made them out to be. I know going into this season, Tennessee fans were saying they would give anything to have the Fulmer years back. He was fired in 2008 for a 5-7 season but had just played in the SEC Championship Game the previous year 2007. 

Hindsights 20/20 I guess 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeamZero77 said:

You think Gus should've taken his foot off the gas in that Iron Bowl and also pull Kerryon off the field? We won that game by 12 points. That was Bama's only loss that year and they beat Georgia for the National Championship that year. That Bama offense could dang near score at will that season and their defense was great enough to make up that 12 point difference on their own. When you have the #1 team in the country down like that, especially your hated rival, you keep them down. Kerryon, as well as any other player on the field, could get hurt at anytime. I agree pulling starters in big blowouts but not against top teams, especially Alabama.

Funny thing is that our fans have a problem when Gus kept Kerryon in the game up 12 points on Bama but 2 weeks earlier nobody had a problem when he kept Kerryon in the game up 40-17 against #1 Georgia. 

He beat #1 UGA 40-17 and 2 weeks later beat #1 Alabama 26-14 and our fans still chose to find the negatives in it. 

I was all in favor of Gus being terminated but after this debacle we find ourselves in now, 15 years from now we may very well look back and say that his 8 years at Auburn weren't nearly as bad as what our fanbase made them out to be. I know going into this season, Tennessee fans were saying they would give anything to have the Fulmer years back. He was fired in 2008 for a 5-7 season but had just played in the SEC Championship Game the previous year 2007. 

Hindsights 20/20 I guess 

Why do folks like you think I’m saying take your foot of the gas and sit on a lead with the slightest of margins? That’s not what I’m saying. Score 100 points a game, if possible. There’s no such thing as “running up the score” in my book. I also recall him saying he wanted to put over 200 yards of rushing up against Bama. Why does it matter how many rushing yards you get as long as you just win the game? He, like Mullen, needlessly count and elevate stats  over and above wins and season-defining accomplishments. Note the terrible bowl game records. 

All I’m saying is some healthy rotation of your players does a coach and players, team, and season good. Gus never learned that lesson, and it cost him the health of his players, his season, and his job. Gus won a few games a year where he overachieved, and always lost a few he shouldn’t have. 

He beat #1 UGA 40-17 and 2 weeks later beat #1 Alabama 26-14 and our fans still chose to find the negatives in it.”

When Gus and Sexton leverage that for a ridiculous deal, he failed to recruit o-linemen, and said offensive guru has a trail of failed quarterbacks, yeah, I’m gonna call it out. I appreciate what Gus did and memories he made at Auburn, but I’m gonna call him on his shortcomings and failures. 

Edited by AUINSY