Auburn Lands Clay Wedin

toddc

Big offensive lineman Clay Wedin commits to Auburn: 'It's where I belong'

Clay Wedin Auburn commitment

Clay Wedin, one of the top offensive linemen on Auburn’s recruiting board, has committed to the Tigers.

Wedin, from Carrollwood Day in Tampa, Fla., announced his decision Friday morning on social media.

Wedin in June committed to Michigan State, but reopened his recruitment on Monday. His de-commitment came nine days after an unofficial visit to Auburn for the LSU game.

It’s just something about Auburn, he said.

“Something makes me feel like I’m supposed to be there, like it’s where I belong,” Wedin told Auburn Live. “Something kept pulling me back. The coaches never stopped recruiting me and literally every time I have been on campus I am excited just to be there. It is something I didn’t feel at any other school, and I have been fortunate to visit a lot.”

Coaches ‘had tremendous impact’ on Wedin’s commitment

The coaches also played a big role in Wedin’s decision, especially offensive line assistant Joe Bernardi, Jr. Bernardi visited Wedin back in the spring and has remained a constant in Wedin’s recruitment. Even after Wedin committed to Michigan State, Bernardi didn’t back off.

“The coaches at Auburn had a tremendous impact on my recruitment,” Wedin said. “Ever since I stepped foot on the campus, they have been nothing but open, honest, and direct with me.

“When I committed in June to MSU, I let coach Bernardi know and his response was, ‘I don’t care. I’m not going to stop recruiting you. You’re going to be an Auburn Tiger.’ Auburn has never stopped and has been relentless ever since January.”

Wedin welcomed by on-campus recruiting staff

The coaches aren’t the only recruiting personnel at Auburn he credits having impacted his decision. 

The on-campus recruiting staff did their part as well, including Bianca James, director of recruiting operations and football events, and on-campus recruiting assistant Addison Hill.

“It’s not just the coaches,” he said. “Ms. Bianca, Ms. Addison and the rest of the recruiting staff have always gone out of their way to make me and my family feel welcomed and comfortable on every trip we have taken.

“They definitely need some credit. They are absolutely awesome at what they do.”

Wedin, who is 6-foot-6 and 290 pounds, is the 11th commitment in Auburn’s 2023 class and third offensive lineman, joining center Bradyn Joiner and tackle Gernorris Wilson. Wedin could project at either tackle or guard at Auburn.

• Love 2

Glad to see we're picking up more linemen. Still too little too late for the current coaching staff, but a solid boost for whoever's next, assuming we keep the 3 OL commits we currently have. 

This is a great pickup towards rebuilding our O-line in the future. We now have three O-line in this class assuming we keep them when we get a new coach. All three have potential but will need to be developed. None will help us next year as most O-line need at least 1 and the majority need at least 2 years to rebuild their bodies refine their technique to be ready to play in the SEC.  Great pickup in reading we get to thank the behind the scenes staff for this commitment. That is one thing Harsin has done well in building this staff. 

We probably still need 2-3 more HS O-line and then hit Portal hard to help with next years O-line.  I hope we don't have to throw these young men into the fire before they are ready.

War Eagle and welcome to Auburn. 

• Like 2