baseball to face Louisiana Tech in exhibition

Auburn baseball team ready to face Louisiana Tech in exhibition

ByJason Caldwell 12 hours ago

AUBURN, Alabama—A team that features 24 returning players and 24 newcomers and is coming off a second College World Series appearance in the last three seasons, the Auburn baseball Tigers will get the first of two opportunities to face another team this fall when Louisiana Tech comes to Plainsman Park for a 1 p.m. CDT exhibition game on Saturday.

Expected to last at least 12 innings with both teams wanting to get a look at multiple pitchers and position players, Auburn’s Butch Thompson said he’s excited to see what his new squad looks like as the Tigers continue to work through fall practices.

“We have so much work to do,” Thompson tells Auburn247. “It’s back-to-back years where half of your team is new. There’s definitely some exciting pieces, but all I care about as a coach is our team becoming a stronger unit and closer unit every day. Every one of these experiences, the squad games and early morning workings and playing outside competition, hopefully it will make them closer. 

“I’m just glad we get to play two outside competitions (Alabama at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 28) because in the past you had to wait until the spring. You feel like you can start seeing things and answering questions and going to work instead of waiting those additional three months to learn some stuff. It’s hard to make a game out of practice. We’re going to play 12 innings. We’ve already scripted when somebody is going to pitch. We know we’re going to catch three catchers and play as many people on our roster as we can. Even as game-like as you try to make it, it still comes off like a practice.”

Coming off a big sophomore season when he went 7-4 with a 3.22 ERA in 14 starts, Joseph Gonzalez will get the ball to open the game for the Tigers and is expected to pitch a pair of innings as Thompson and new pitching coach Daron Schoenrock continue to limit his usage this fall. After that it will be a variety of veterans and several newcomers who get a look on the mound against the Bulldogs.

“I think Joseph is probably our opener,” Thompson said. “He’ll open for an inning or two and then after that it’s going to be crazy. It will be left, right, left, right. Probably featured right behind Joseph will be a true freshman, Zach Crotchfelt (6-3, 210, Jackson, New Jersey). The reason why is we really believe in him and is he ready? Featuring him early in the ballgame is going to let us know.

“Then I think we’ll bounce back to (Chase) Allsup. We’ve really been trying to make him grow pitch counts and think about earlier in the game with him instead of later in the game. Then we’re right back to Murphy (true freshman RHP Hayden Murphy). He’s kind of in that Crotchfelt mold. We’re going to package some veterans and returners, but we’re going to keep sliding these exciting young arms in there with him and see if they can perform at game time.”

In the field the Tigers return starters Nate LaRue (catcher), Cole Foster (shortstop), Bobby Peirce (right field) and Kason Howell (center field) along with veterans such as catcher Ryan Dyal, first baseman Cam Hill, infielder Bryson Ware and outfielders Josh Hall and Mike Bello. In addition to true freshmen such as Ike Irish behind the plate, Gavin Miller at third base and Chris Stanfield in the outfield, Auburn has help from the transfer market as well.

The most impressive of those this fall has been outfielder Justin Kirby. The Kent State transfer has swung a hot bat since the Tigers got on the field and should play a big role this season. Kansas first baseman Cooper McMurray is another transfer who could get into the mix as could junior college shortstop Caden Green at second base.

Now it’s time to get the first look at his team against another opponent. Thompson said facing a talented Louisiana Tech team is exactly what the Tigers need as they continue to work towards the 2023 season.

25COMMENTS

“I believe in their coaching staff,” Thompson said of Louisiana Tech. “I respect their program. They are a team that hosted a regional the year before last. I think they’ve beaten LSU the last two times. I know we’re going to get a blue collar, get after it, successful program to compete against. That’s what you’re looking for.”

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel, opinion and scoops***

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful day, I’m told they are going 12 innings. Joseph Gonzalez got lit up for three in the first, and Zach Crotchfelt was likewise touched up for three in the third.  Sixth year lefty Tommy Vail has been most impressive in my opinion. Had a nine pitch three strikeout inning of work. It’s obvious he’s been on a mound a few times. Hitting was spotty over the first few innings, really smoking in the last few innings. 

Edit: Tigers gave up a ton of runs early, came back with a six spot in the 9th (I think) and then won it on a Brody Wortham line shot over the left field wall.  The freshman catcher Ike Irish hit a laser to right center for the other Tiger home run on the day.  Cole Foster had a nice day defensively at SS.  Looking like we will have a full compliment of natural outfielders.  Josh Hall and Chris Stanfeild showed tremendous range, both from the CF spot..

Butch is clearly stockpiling talent, interesting to look at where some of these kids are transferring in from.  

Edited by PowerOfDixieland
  • Thanks 4

• WarTiger changed the title to baseball to face Louisiana Tech in exhibition