Jeff Grimes offense

gr82b4au

2 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Against BYU and Oklahoma State, two defenses that are atrocious. Again, stats can be deceiving. When you look at how his offenses play against an actual defense, they are below average, just like how Gus’ offenses would perform. Again, there’s nothing special that he does. Central Michigan scored over 40 points yet Baylor barely got over 20 points because of a worthless score at the end…

I agree. While I do like Grimes, I’m not sure success as a HC would translate to this conference. Agreed, he would for all intents and purposes rebuild a great O Line, which is where it starts, but OK is not very good this year and didn’t Arky throttle BYU last weekend. To go a step further, I think Clemson, would be about middle of the pack this year in the SEC. As we all have to, we wait for what will hopefully be an AD that can maneuver through the SEC and maybe try and put an end to the JABA acronym, by hiring a coach that will light a fire, get recruits fired up to come play for AU and actually field a well coached team. That is what really remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think your analysis is rather surface level and doesn't stand up to scrutiny, but ok.

Your opinion. I’ve looked at his offenses and they just don’t seem like anything special and notice how much they struggle against good teams. I mean, last year in their last 6 games they didn’t score 30 points at all in the Big 12. They won 10 games because of their defense last year, not their offense. But again, I’m not going to see eye to eye with people who want Grimes…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Your opinion. I’ve looked at his offenses and they just don’t seem like anything special and notice how much they struggle against good teams. I mean, last year in their last 6 games they didn’t score 30 points at all in the Big 12. They won 10 games because of their defense last year, not their offense. But again, I’m not going to see eye to eye with people who want Grimes…

Consider that their starting QB was injured much of the  second half of the season and missed some whole games. 

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Consider that their starting QB was injured much of the  second half of the season and missed some whole games. 

I get that. But their defense was still the reason they won so many games last year. It’s also why they are struggling this year. If he’s hired I’m not going to pull against him. It’ll just I’ll have no expectations either, which has been my approach in the past 6 years anyways so again, no difference I see haha…

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am not saying Grimes is a bad hire. But this idea that we just don’t want to hire him because of JABA is false. The truth of the matter is there are other candidates who we should get first . If and only , if they say no, that would open up the door for Grimes. He is not going anywhere,

if the other candidates say no. 

There are literally people on this board and elsewhere within the Auburn family saying the words Grimes and JABA in the same sentence. They’re assuming the interest in Grimes is purely because of his few years with Auburn a decade ago. 

Also, who are the so called better candidates? Sanders isn’t any more proven. Lane Kiffin isn’t coming here, and his defenses suck anyway. The only one who might be more qualified is Freeze, but he made some comment a few years back about having no interest in coaching here. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ScotsAU said:

There are literally people on this board and elsewhere within the Auburn family saying the words Grimes and JABA in the same sentence. They’re assuming the interest in Grimes is purely because of his few years with Auburn a decade ago. 

Which is one of the dumbest things that can be said.  

• Like 2

Just now, bigbird said:

Which is one of the dumbest things that can be said.  

Agreed, but the poster I responded to said that nobody was saying that. Lots of people are, and it’s wrong.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

We will have to be patient with him.

Yes.  That’s true with anyone.   I will say the length of our patience is different based on the hope given by the HC.   2 years with Harsin is patient enough.   We gave Gus 8 years, the last 6 overlooking flaws, making excuses, hoping he would turn the corner.  I think we as a fan base are reasonable enough to give a decent coach, growing into his role, a fair amount of time.   Aren’t we, guys?😁

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Agreed, but the poster I responded to said that nobody was saying that. Lots of people are, and it’s wrong.

LOTS of people.  

In fact, I'd say he's a candidate because of what he's done away from Auburn.  The player recruitment, development and offensive improvement is undeniable.  

People criticize the Big12 defense as a reason to discount what JG has done. However, you can see the execution, the rhythm, the decisions, the scheme, the play calls, etc.  Those are the type of things that do translate.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Auburnguy101 said:

It’s his pattern. When he has a team that has more talent, they look great. When he doesn’t, they look below average. In my opinion, and I’ll say this again, it’s my opinion, there’s nothing special that he brings to the table. Do you honestly believe Jeff Grimes, a guy who has never been a head coach anywhere in 30+ plus years of coaching, will be able to compete and recruit against UAT and UGA? To me, that’s more far fetched than people questioning Deion Sanders. But again, it’s my opinion. I understand many people on here love Grimes and he will more than likely get the job because he’s a comfortable hire…

That’s almost every single football coach in the history of football. How often does a coach win 10-12 games in a power 5 conference with average players? That is why recruiting is vital to success. I love  CGM and he had top 10 recruiting classes during most of his tenure but, he recruited poorly in major areas (OLine) and did not develop players.  

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Also, who are the so called better candidates? Sanders isn’t any more proven. Lane Kiffin isn’t coming here, and his defenses suck anyway. The only one who might be more qualified is Freeze, but he made some comment a few years back about having no interest in coaching here. 

You have no clue if Kiffin isn’t coming here. There is no might with Freeze he is far more proven than Grimes. The fact that you says he might be more qualified is laughable. Deion Sanders IMO is a unique candidate that has qualifiers that Grimes can’t touch. I never said people didn’t say he was a JABA hire. Let’s try this again. I am saying that this narrative that people don’t want to hire him solely because  he is JABA hire is false. Listen one more time . SOLELY. He is absolutely getting a look because of his Auburn ties. To deny that is just silly. But that is also solely not the reason he is getting a look. 

Gus Malzahn was a JABA but he also had quite a bit of other stuff going for him during that time too right ? So that’s not even a negative connotation. . The hard truth is that some people are going to have to eat is that there is several candidates who most consider better. You don’t like have to like it. 

Edited by DAG

46 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

I get that. But their defense was still the reason they won so many games last year. It’s also why they are struggling this year. If he’s hired I’m not going to pull against him. It’ll just I’ll have no expectations either, which has been my approach in the past 6 years anyways so again, no difference I see haha…

You might get your wish on Grimes. If pulling the plug early gave Colorado a head start, they could beat us out for him.

(I know your response is “good,” but you’d better pray that Free Shoes has a decent enough finish. Or that Sankey will let the Ice Man come.)

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You might get your wish on Grimes. If pulling the plug early gave Colorado a head start, they could beat us out for him.

(I know your response is “good,” but you’d better pray that Free Shoes has a decent enough finish. Or that Sankey will let the Ice Man come.)

Omg Colorado might get him. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Omg Colorado might get him. 

They might. But if that happens we may end up with Dell as our realistic best shot. I would bet my right arm that Kiffin isn’t coming here. We might be competing with FSU for Deion (good luck with that!). Sankey may not let us hire Freeze.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, AUwent said:

They might. But if that happens we may end up with Dell as our realistic best shot. I would bet my right arm that Kiffin isn’t coming here. We might be competing with FSU for Deion (good luck with that!). Sankey may not let us hire Freeze.

FSU vs Colorado..Hmmm

27 minutes ago, AUwent said:

He's not picking Colorado over Auburn.  If he picks Colorado, it's because we decided to go with someone else, not because CU got a head start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

He's not picking Colorado over Auburn.  If he picks Colorado, it's because we decided to go with someone else, not because CU got a head start.

Or because he didn’t wanna deal with Auburn and everything that comes with it. I mean the environment seems pretty toxic to work under 

• Facepalm 1

Auburn needs to find an experienced head coach with the best record possible that has sec experience. If we have to pay more on the front end, so be it.  It seems that we have hired coaches in the past that we could get for less money, only to pay them millions to leave.  We need someone who is proven and can recruit against Saban, Smart, and Dabo.  If we can’t hire such a coach, then maybe hire someone like Grimes.  

• Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Or because he didn’t wanna deal with Auburn and everything that comes with it. I mean the environment seems pretty toxic to work under 

He's not picking Colorado over Auburn for that reason either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ol Danny Hugh Freeze looking better and better ain't he

Would rather get kicked in the groin 100x and have my eyes plucked out before I ever support a lowlife scumbag like Freeze…

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Ol Danny Hugh Freeze looking better and better ain't he

Would Sankey allow it though? Would Roberts, if we get desperate enough?

Just now, AUwent said:

Would Sankey allow it though? Would Roberts, if we get desperate enough?

Dr. Roberts won’t approve of it. I’ve heard first hand from people who know him that Freeze wouldn’t even get an interview because of his past…

7 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Would rather get kicked in the groin 100x and have my eyes plucked out before I ever support a lowlife scumbag like Freeze…

Yes, we all know. You've said it AD nauseum 

• Haha 2