Harsin not letting players redshirt?

gr82b4au

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

Steven Leath was the worst thing to ever happen to Auburn

Fixed.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, woodford said:

Allen Greene was the worst thing to ever happen to Auburn

Nah, Leath was.Β  Everything started with him.Β  Horrendous Gus contract, Greene, Harsin, etc

Β 

Edit: see this was addressed

Edited by W.E.D

11 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think a new rule should come where if a player meets the eligibility requirement (played in less than 4 games) they are automatically redshirted. This would save schools, players, and coaches all alike on this type of bs. I don't see any negatives? I mean...why wouldn't a coach want his players to have every bit of eligibility available? Am I missing something?Β 

What if a player requests a redshirt rather than finishing out the rest of the season and uses that year of eligibility to enter the transfer portal?Β  Why let a player preserver a year of eligibility just so that he can use it on another team?Β  Maybe that's what Harsin is thinking?Β  IDK

Β 

We are 2 weeks past when Harsin should've been let go, but because the administration has played the pacifist, Harsin is now conducting scorched earth. *slow claps sarcastically*

• Like 1

This along w/ Landon King's transfer should be the death blow.Β  I'd rather have the potential of Landon King than the potential of Harsin.

Landon King > Harsin when it comes to potential.

Β 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

What if a player requests a redshirt rather than finishing out the rest of the season and uses that year of eligibility to enter the transfer portal?Β  Why let a player preserver a year of eligibility just so that he can use it on another team?Β  Maybe that's what Harsin is thinking?Β  IDK

Β 

Β Chances are if he gotten the redshirt he wouldn’t have put himself in the portal. CBH pretty much ( presumably) said forego this idea of the red shirt or transfer, so I highly doubt that was his intentionsΒ 

15 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Nah, Leath was.Β  Everything started with him.Β  Horrendous Gus contract, Greene, Harsin, etc

Β 

Edit: see this was addressed

I agree and would probably change my comment, but Allen Greene made a terrible hire. An incompetent president hired a fraud AD, fraud AD hires fraud HC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, woodford said:

I agree and would probably change my comment, but Allen Greene made a terrible hire. An incompetent president hired a fraud AD, fraud AD hires fraud HC.

Nah man. It all goes back to the board and Steele. AG was on his 5th or 6th option when he hired Harsin. There weren’t a lot of great coaches looking to move that year. Heck Cristobal was considered the top coach available, and look how he’s turned out.
After the delay from the Steele incident and the drama around that, what few coaches were still available passed on the job and went elsewhere or chose to stay where they were. (Cristobal was one of them.) Not even AG wanted Harsin.Β 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Nah man. It all goes back to the board and Steele. AG was on his 5th or 6th option when he hired Harsin. There weren’t a lot of great coaches looking to move that year. Heck Cristobal was considered the top coach available, and look how he’s turned out.
After the delay from the Steele incident and the drama around that, what few coaches were still available passed on the job and went elsewhere or chose to stay where they were. (Cristobal was one of them.) Not even AG wanted Harsin.Β 

Allen Greene didn't want Harsin? Ok.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Β Chances are if he gotten the redshirt he wouldn’t have put himself in the portal. CBH pretty much ( presumably) said forego this idea of the red shirt or transfer, so I highly doubt that was his intentionsΒ 

Everything's a chance when the HC is a dead man walking.Β  How he's been retained this long is beyond me, but as long as he's AU's head football coach, he has every right to call the shots relative to his players.Β 

I've just never heard of a player going to the coach mid-season and requesting a redshirt year, or really any other time during the season.?.?

When coach tells you to get your helmet on and get in the game.... do players say, "nah coach I'm taking a redshirt"??Β  I mean how does that interaction play out in real time?Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JerryAU said:

Everything's a chance when the HC is a dead man walking.Β  How he's been retained this long is beyond me, but as long as he's AU's head football coach, he has every right to call the shots relative to his players.Β 

I've just never heard of a player going to the coach mid-season and requesting a redshirt year, or really any other time during the season.?.?

When coach tells you to get your helmet on and get in the game.... do players say, "nah coach I'm taking a redshirt"??Β  I mean how does that interaction play out in real time?Β 

Β 

Β 

You probably never heard of that but have you seen any situation like this before ?

Again, I would be for respect to the nature of the coach , if this coach had not shown time and time again he has no respect for others. Secondly , I doubt it played out like this as LK would LOVE PT.Β 
Β 

The scenario I see is LK was told what he had to do to get on the field. He worked hard and did all of this stuff, only to barely see playing time. He now feels like he has barely any film and it is not getting better. He probably isn’t stupid and realizes this staff is gone next year. So he is at a crossroad. In his mind he would rather not lose a year of eligibility on a wasted year to continue to grow as a player. That is how I see this playing out.Β 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, woodford said:

Allen Greene didn't want Harsin? Ok.

AG wanted Harsin. The alternative was CKS which people keep forgetting about. There is a whole spectrum that doesn’t get discussed in this. My question is how are you guys going to feel when the same order events happen when you no longer can blame people who aren’t here?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

AG wanted Harsin. The alternative was CKS which people keep forgetting about. There is a whole spectrum that doesn’t get discussed in this. My question is how are you guys going to feel when the same order events happen when you no longer can blame people who aren’t here?

I think it was Justin Ferguson that reported it. Harsin was way down AG’a list. Mario Cristobal was on his list. As was Billy Napier. Both coaches passed on the job. I worry that we may have a repeat of the last time, where no coach wants to step into this mess.

Β 

The Kirby Smart interview was way back in 2013 when we hired Gus. He wanted to run the program just like Saban. That wouldn’t have worked out here with Auburn’s culture and boosters. He also would not have given us an SEC championship in 2013 had he been hired. Those players were meant for Malzahn’s spread. Kirby would’ve wanted to install more of a pro style attack, and it wouldn’t have gone well at first.Β 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

This is the part where you want somebody who's priority is the students. This also somewhat validates the players that said he literally don't give a damn about them

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Β 

I get that. I think we are looking at it from 2 different angles. What I am saying is at the end of the season, if a player played in 4 games or less, he should be granted the redshirt, period...whether he wants it, the coach wants it or whatever. It should be automatic.Β 

Now...to your point...if a player ask for a redshirt to sit out the year, that is kind of a different story all together. I kind of see both sides honestly. If a player is good enough to be playing and isn't, well then he will get his redshirt anyways if he didn't play in 4 games (with my rule proposal). If a player is good enough to play and is playing and ask the coach for a redshirt to sit, I kind of understand not giving it to him. I see both sides there.Β 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is the part where you want somebody who's priority is the students. This also somewhat validates the players that said he literally don't give a damn about them

This is where I am on this story. To a point I don't blame Harsin from a coaching perspective, but in the end the University and the team is for what's best for the students.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I think it was Justin Ferguson that reported it. Harsin was way down AG’a list. Mario Cristobal was on his list. As was Billy Napier. Both coaches passed on the job. I worry that we may have a repeat of the last time, where no coach wants to step into this mess.

Β 

The Kirby Smart interview was way back in 2013 when we hired Gus. He wanted to run the program just like Saban. That wouldn’t have worked out here with Auburn’s culture and boosters. He also would not have given us an SEC championship in 2013 had he been hired. Those players were meant for Malzahn’s spread. Kirby would’ve wanted to install more of a pro style attack, and it wouldn’t have gone well at first.Β 

Pretty sure he was referring to Coach Kevin Steele, Not Kirby Smart.

• Thanks 1

Just now, smackydoodle said:

This is where I am on this story. To a point I don't blame Harsin from a coaching perspective, but in the end the University and the team is for what's best for the students.

Same here man. I see both sides, honestly. If I was coaching, I don't know that I would do anything differently in regards to this. It's a tough one.

• Like 2

Assuming it’s true and there’s not a demonic possession going on - that’s nuts. Hard to believe he would try to torpedo us this blatantly. Β That’s a vindictive rep that puts you in the creepy box and makes you practically unhirable.Β 

23 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Β 

I was talking Steele not smart.Β 

13 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Roberts is the one who could put a stop to all this. Why he is dragging his feet is beyond me. I'm wondering if Harsin is trying to do as much harm as possible b4 leaving

Exactly they could have fired him for cause last spring had they had the courage to do so. Now once again the people in charge have screwed Auburn again. I think it is time to start removing the people in charge that have blocked the removal of Harsin. We owe it to the players to get it done now . If not we may not have a single player left on the squad come January. πŸ€”πŸ¦…

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I get that. I think we are looking at it from 2 different angles. What I am saying is at the end of the season, if a player played in 4 games or less, he should be granted the redshirt, period...whether he wants it, the coach wants it or whatever. It should be automatic.Β 

Now...to your point...if a player ask for a redshirt to sit out the year, that is kind of a different story all together. I kind of see both sides honestly. If a player is good enough to be playing and isn't, well then he will get his redshirt anyways if he didn't play in 4 games (with my rule proposal). If a player is good enough to play and is playing and ask the coach for a redshirt to sit, I kind of understand not giving it to him. I see both sides there.Β 

Auburn's specific scenario is a two-edged sword.Β  Strictly from a coaching perspective why would you grant a redshirt to a player mid-season when the player is in essence quitting mid-season? IF you allow him to redshirt then he can take that year of eligibility to the transfer portal and use with the lax inner-conference transfer rules, he can use it against you later.Β  A HC granting a redshirt request mid-season sets a dangerous precedent for his team down the road.Β  It lays a foundation for others to do the same.Β  I'm just not a proponent of players quitting mid-season unless it's for medical reasons.Β  IF a player doesn't want to earn the scholarship and doesn't want to play for the team then he can leave.Β 

BUT in Auburn's situation, the HC is a lame duck, and the optics reflect a HC who's obstinate with little compassion for his players.Β  This reinforces what former AU players claimed in last season's mass exodus.Β Β 

I suppose this is different now, because I distinctly remember many posters on this board calling all those transfer players a bunch of quitters, and they had sour grapes but I'm not seeing the same opinions on this current situation?Β 

• Like 1