Harsin not letting players redshirt?

gr82b4au

33 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

I I worry that we may have a repeat of the last time, where no coach wants to step into this mess.

This is the one argument for things playing out as slowly as they are. I've heard people say things like there's Rane-Harbert factions at odds over football. If that's accurate and an ongoing problem, it makes sense to take the time to find the right AD to bridge that gap before beginning a coaching search. If this is in the realm of what's going on, I'm good with it. If it's just stodgy by the book procedure, we're wasting time. 

I know this won't be popular but I don't see the problem.  LK was asked if he would play if needed, he said "no".  There is no scenario for any coach to condone a healthy player with a scholarship and NIL to sit it out.  We have players playing injured all over the field right now, so no you cannot pander as a coach to the  "me" players.  Auburn needs more we than me right now.  Lk is a good receiver but if there are others playing better or running routes and blocking better then he still has to earn playing time .  I trust Hilliard knows what he is doing.   I am just as anxious as the rest for a new era at Auburn to begin but I would want the next coach to think about the team dynamics over one player as well.  I also think LK with the date he put in for the transfer is just waiting for the next coach to be named.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 3

52 minutes ago, aublue88 said:

I know this won't be popular but I don't see the problem.  LK was asked if he would play if needed, he said "no".  There is no scenario for any coach to condone a healthy player with a scholarship and NIL to sit it out.  We have players playing injured all over the field right now, so no you cannot pander as a coach to the  "me" players.  Auburn needs more we than me right now.  Lk is a good receiver but if there are others playing better or running routes and blocking better then he still has to earn playing time .  I trust Hilliard knows what he is doing.   I am just as anxious as the rest for a new era at Auburn to begin but I would want the next coach to think about the team dynamics over one player as well.  I also think LK with the date he put in for the transfer is just waiting for the next coach to be named.

I don't blame a single player for not wanting to participate if being asked to put their body and future on the line with the coaches running things now the way they are...barring Missouri-like performances, AU's current coaching staff isn't capable of planning, coaching, or beating anyone who lines up against them

• Like 3

Of course, Harsin denies it all: 

"Bryan Harsin is having to defend himself in the public eye once more.

On Wednesday, it was reported by Auburn Daily that Harsin was denying redshirts for players without medical reasoning. According to the report, the second-year coach told players to either “quit the football program or enter the transfer portal.”

Harsin said during Wednesday’s SEC Coaches Teleconference that he “didn’t know where the report was coming from.” Earlier this week, both Landen King and Zykevious Walker announced their intent to transfer from the program.

“We have, obviously, who has redshirt availability as a staff, and we talk about that as a staff. We know the amount of games,” Harsin said, according to On3 Sports. “So we really monitor that as a staff. We’ve done that every year, and certainly with the new four game rule. We’ve always paid attention to that.”

Auburn coach Bryan Harsin responded to a recent report that he personally denied a player the opportunity to redshirt this season, and instead forced them to either play or transfer."

Source: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/bryan-harsin-responds-to-report-he-denied-auburn-player-the-opportunity-to-redshirt/

Edited by AUINSY
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I find this hard to believe but IF true would be a fireable offense 

It's a tough one for me honestly.  Harsin has to go, but until he is officially terminated, why should he preserve a redshirt for a scholarship player who wants to quit mid-season, only for the player to transfer elsewhere? 

IF the Auburn Administration doesn't like the way he's handling this program, then they can fire him today and the  $7million price tag will be due the day after Thanksgiving.  :gofig:

Edited by JerryAU

1 hour ago, AUINSY said:

Per this article he didn't deny anything.  He just said he doesn't know where that report came from.  

4 minutes ago, AUtiger98 said:

Per this article he didn't deny anything.  He just said he doesn't know where that report came from.  

And that the coaching staff reviews and evaluates PT and the redshirt status very closely.

Harsin will run this program how he sees fit until he's terminated.  When someone in a high position gets enough of this crap, they will actually do something.  Until then, I don't blame Harsin for refusing to preserve a redshirt for a scholarship player who wants to quit playing mid-season.    

• Like 2
  • Dislike 3

18 hours ago, yeaauburn said:

He along with Allen Green couldn't run a successful community league!

What? Allen Greene did good things at Auburn and I still think it took balls to hire Harsin over Freeze and other retreads after none of our top choices (Venebles, etc.) wanted the job. We'll never know how things would have played out if the PTB hadn't tried and failed to fire Harsin last summer, but it's just been getting worse ever since.

I'm finally jumping on the ship that we need to fire Harsin ASAP. Although it would be great if we could retain Cadillac and Etheridge (I feel mixed about Brumbaugh but it may be more of the scheme than his coaching). 

If only CBP coached football. 😎

Edited by HAPvsOA

5 hours ago, aublue88 said:

But Harsin will be gone next season and I bet the next coach will wish he had a weapon like that. Why sabotage a school and team that you say you're committed to. 

43 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

It's a tough one for me honestly.  Harsin has to go, but until he is officially terminated, why should he preserve a redshirt for a scholarship player who wants to quit mid-season, only for the player to transfer elsewhere? 

IF the Auburn Administration doesn't like the way he's handling this program, then they can fire him today and the  $7million price tag will be due the day after Thanksgiving.  :gofig:

I didn’t bother reading the article just saying if true by the headline

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

I'm finally jumping on the ship that we need to fire Harsin ASAP. Although it would be great if we could retain Cadillac and Etheridge (I feel mixed about Brumbaugh but it may be more of the scheme than his coaching). 

If only CBP coached football. 😎

I'm fine not having a single remanent from the Malzhan or Harsin era on the next staff.  This team needs a complete overhaul in every nook and cranny and a new coach needs a completely fresh start. 

Back to Harsin, they will either fire him now or watch it all go up in flames.  3 players in the portal in 3 days at MID-SEASON tells me the locker room is a cesspool right now. 

EDIT:  Let me retract that - 4 (FOUR) players in the portal in 3 days at MID-SEASON. 

Edited by JerryAU
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

Heck at this rate Toomers is gonna get rolled when he gets fired 🤣

Gonna be the only time we roll for the football time the rest of this season. 🤣

20 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I think a new rule should come where if a player meets the eligibility requirement (played in less than 4 games) they are automatically redshirted. This would save schools, players, and coaches all alike on this type of bs. I don't see any negatives? I mean...why wouldn't a coach want his players to have every bit of eligibility available? Am I missing something? 

I thought it was like that already. Evidently not. 

Unfortunately this is the reality of college football. The game that most of us grew up loving is over! We now have free agency without contracts. If a player isn't playing as much as they would like, offered more money, jealousy or you name the reason, they will transfer with no consequence to anyone but the school that spent money and time recruiting them. Jermaine Burton is a prime example. This is ugly and it will get worse. It will be interesting to see how the super conferences shake out and how many Division 1 schools(Troy,  South Alabama, etc.) are left out. If you want to watch "pure" college football, you will have to start following the FCS or Division II schools.

I hope that the PTB pull their collective heads from their anus and hire a FREAKING Athletic Director and start the process of moving forward with a new coach!!! THIS should have been done in February! 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

on reddit most are siding with harsin.coach went to the kid and asked him would he play for him if they needed him this year. he said no he would rather keep save his one year. hars told him he agree's to play if needed or he is off the team unless he is hurt.

so if that is true i am not sure who is wrong. but the folks that commented on the thread were like 2 to 1 pro harsin on this particular situation. it is weird because they said they do not like him but he is right.

9 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Everything's a chance when the HC is a dead man walking.  How he's been retained this long is beyond me, but as long as he's AU's head football coach, he has every right to call the shots relative to his players. 

I've just never heard of a player going to the coach mid-season and requesting a redshirt year, or really any other time during the season.?.?

When coach tells you to get your helmet on and get in the game.... do players say, "nah coach I'm taking a redshirt"??  I mean how does that interaction play out in real time? 

You tell the coach well before the game. 

These kids have to look out for themselves, since clearly no one else is. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Many of you wanted an "a hole" coach.  Congratulations.

No, no. We said we wanted “a whole” coach. It was just a bad typo.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JerryAU said:

And that the coaching staff reviews and evaluates PT and the redshirt status very closely.

Harsin will run this program how he sees fit until he's terminated.  When someone in a high position gets enough of this crap, they will actually do something.  Until then, I don't blame Harsin for refusing to preserve a redshirt for a scholarship player who wants to quit playing mid-season.    

Auburn players are literally mutinying against Harsin in real time. I doubt we will be able to field a team by end of season. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, GAAubie said:

Unfortunately this is the reality of college football. The game that most of us grew up loving is over! We now have free agency without contracts. If a player isn't playing as much as they would like, offered more money, jealousy or you name the reason, they will transfer with no consequence to anyone but the school that spent money and time recruiting them. Jermaine Burton is a prime example. This is ugly and it will get worse. It will be interesting to see how the super conferences shake out and how many Division 1 schools(Troy,  South Alabama, etc.) are left out. If you want to watch "pure" college football, you will have to start following the FCS or Division II schools.

I hope that the PTB pull their collective heads from their anus and hire a FREAKING Athletic Director and start the process of moving forward with a new coach!!! THIS should have been done in February! 

If youre that angry at the players who entertain us all, enjoy your “pure” FCS games. To blame them for this cluster not of their making is just pitiful.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, CR said:

If youre that angry at the players who entertain us all, enjoy your “pure” FCS games. To blame them for this cluster not of their making is just pitiful.

My post didn't pertain to Auburn, NN!

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Yeah he really didn’t say anything at all. He definitely did not deny it. 

15 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Yeah he really didn’t say anything at all. He definitely did not deny it. 

There’s a reason players are leaving in mass exodus, and there’s another link within it: https://www.on3.com/college/auburn-tigers/news/bryan-harsin-responds-to-report-he-denies-redshirts-with-the-exception-of-medial-reasons-auburn-tigers-sec-college-football-transfer-portal-landen-king-zykevious-walker/

Edited by AUINSY