Harsin not letting players redshirt?

gr82b4au

12 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I get that. I think we are looking at it from 2 different angles. What I am saying is at the end of the season, if a player played in 4 games or less, he should be granted the redshirt, period...whether he wants it, the coach wants it or whatever. It should be automatic. 

Now...to your point...if a player ask for a redshirt to sit out the year, that is kind of a different story all together. I kind of see both sides honestly. If a player is good enough to be playing and isn't, well then he will get his redshirt anyways if he didn't play in 4 games (with my rule proposal). If a player is good enough to play and is playing and ask the coach for a redshirt to sit, I kind of understand not giving it to him. I see both sides there. 

If he played in four games or less, a redshirt year is automatic. The only way a coach can prevent a redshirt year is by putting the player into five or more games. I think that's what's going on here. Some wanted to redshirt and Harsin wanted to put them into a few more games for a play or two, thus killing their redshirt year.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

If he played in four games or less, a redshirt year is automatic. The only way a coach can prevent a redshirt year is by putting the player into five or more games. I think that's what's going on here. Some wanted to redshirt and Harsin wanted to put them into a few more games for a play or two, thus killing their redshirt year.

So I wasn't aware of this. I had it all wrong. Thanks for clearing it up.

11 hours ago, GAAubie said:

My post didn't pertain to Auburn, NN!

Got me!!! How did  you know my initials were NN!?!

7 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So I wasn't aware of this. I had it all wrong. Thanks for clearing it up.

Think of it this way: By NCAA rule every player gets five years to play four. If there's one year when a payer participates in fewer than five games, that year doesn't count as a "played" year. We call that a redshirt year. However, it does count as one of his five years so he'll have only four left whether he plays in them or not.

On rare occasions a player can get six years to play four. That happens when he's already redshirted and then suffers an injury before playing in five games. This injury year has to be approved by the NCAA and it isn't automatic.

• Like 1

The most scary part of this is that if enough players leave, we will end up being so decimated that it will almost be like the NCAA gave us the death penalty.  It has taken years for SMU to recover, and you can argue that they still haven't recovered.  If the administration has any level of competence, they will get the new AD announced this week!

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Think of it this way: By NCAA rule every player gets five years to play four. If there's one year when a payer participates in fewer than five games, that year doesn't count as a "played" year. We call that a redshirt year. However, it does count as one of his five years so he'll have only four left whether he plays in them or not.

On rare occasions a player can get six years to play four. That happens when he's already redshirted and then suffers an injury before playing in five games. This injury year has to be approved by the NCAA and it isn't automatic.

I guess I misunderstood the OP then. This makes sense though as that is how it should be with the 4 game rule. So Harsin is essentially telling players that are allegedly asking to redshirt (maybe they have played in 4 or less games at this point)  if they can sit the rest of the year so they get the Red Shirt?

On 10/25/2022 at 9:29 PM, autiger88 said:

Anybody else starting to believe the conspiracy theory that he is getting us back for February yet or really just not giving a damn? I know @DAG is with me anybody else?

To be honest, I've been worried about that since February.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 10:26 PM, Mikey said:

The only way he can keep them from having a redshirt year is by putting them into five or more games. Is it possible that he'd stick a kid into five games just for spite? That's really, really lowlife.

I’m betting NCAA requires HC sign off.

27 minutes ago, AUGnome said:

To be honest, I've been worried about that since February.

of course he is. he wants that 15 mil and then he is heading to sabans school of fallen coaches............lol.  i joke but it could happen.

5 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m betting NCAA requires HC sign off.

Not at all. Every player gets five years to play four. If he plays in four games or fewer that's a redshirt year. There's nothing to sign off on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I guess I misunderstood the OP then. This makes sense though as that is how it should be with the 4 game rule. So Harsin is essentially telling players that are allegedly asking to redshirt (maybe they have played in 4 or less games at this point)  if they can sit the rest of the year so they get the Red Shirt?

I think he's refusing to promise them that he won't put them in a game if he deems their playing would help the team win. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Then, under that circumstance, the player's only option is to enter the portal if he wants to avoid wasting a year of eligibility.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:29 PM, autiger88 said:

Anybody else starting to believe the conspiracy theory that he is getting us back for February yet or really just not giving a damn? I know @DAG is with me anybody else?

Depends on what you mean.

Is Harsin intentionally tanking this season? No way. He wants to coach again and won't do anything against his own self interest. Even though it looks like he's intentionally taking a dive, the truth is he is in way over his head and his assistant coaches are too. 

Is he running off players he doesn't intend to use this season to intentionally damage the future roster? Wouldn't surprise me at all. 

12 hours ago, miscram6 said:

The most scary part of this is that if enough players leave, we will end up being so decimated that it will almost be like the NCAA gave us the death penalty.  It has taken years for SMU to recover, and you can argue that they still haven't recovered.  If the administration has any level of competence, they will get the new AD announced this week!

But maybe we can finally be the next Tennessee and turn things around quickly!! 

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think he's refusing to promise them that he won't put them in a game if he deems their playing would help the team win. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Then, under that circumstance, the player's only option is to enter the portal if he wants to avoid wasting a year of eligibility.

Yea that makes sense now. Honestly, I get it from both sides. If your on the team, I am not going to promise not to play you if I think we may need you. On the other hand, barring unforseen events, if you haven't played already at this point is probably doubtful that you will.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Yea that makes sense now. Honestly, I get it from both sides. If your on the team, I am not going to promise not to play you if I think we may need you. On the other hand, barring unforseen events, if you haven't played already at this point is probably doubtful that you will.

This whole thing is weird, and I can't recall seeing this issue pop up before at this level.   

Players are on scholarship to play ball, period.  I've never heard of a healthy player requesting a redshirt mid-season - a scholarship player wants to play ball any chance they get.  BUT - Harsin is all but gone and he's exhibited questionable roster management, so I somewhat understand a player that hasn't been utilized very much thus far may want to call it a season and take his RS.  Harsin may see it as quitting, and he also may see it as a player trying to preserve a year of eligibility only to transfer elsewhere.  

Bottom line, Harsin just needs to pack up his office and GTHO. 

• Like 3