Jordan Hare Press Box

homersapien

I was listening to an Arkansas/Auburn preview show the other day hosted by an Arkansas reporter along with an Auburn Reporter.  It was something like "locked on the Razorbacks" but I don't think that was it.

Anything, the subject how terrible the current press box is at Jordan Hare.  Unlike the old one, which was more or less on the 50 yd line, this one is cramped and tucked away in one of the corners, and doesn't have a very good view of the action. They said this hinders radio announcers in particular - including ours -  who need binoculars to see who and what is happening.

They also talked about how the food provided to the press had really been downgraded (to a "bag of cold food").  (I actually remember how game announcers used to rave about the food spread and hospitality at Auburn games decades ago.) 

Apparently, our facility has become become a joke to the press corps who come here to cover a game. (And this included the Auburn reporter - I don't remember the name - except he had been covering auburn for 10-15 yrs.)  Apparently, the old press box was replaced by a luxury suit.

Personally, this sounds like a PR mistake to me, especially considering the amount of money being spent on things like the football facility. 

Seems to me like we'd be much better off with a nice press box that pampered the press, for obvious reasons.

P.S.:

Arkansas really hates us.  They feel they get bad calls when playing Auburn at home (which admittedly, has happened.)  

They expect to beat us easily.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 2:33 PM, homersapien said:

I was listening to an Arkansas/Auburn preview show the other day hosted by an Arkansas reporter along with an Auburn Reporter.  It was something like "locked on the Razorbacks" but I don't think that was it.

Anything, the subject how terrible the current press box is at Jordan Hare.  Unlike the old one, which was more or less on the 50 yd line, this one is cramped and tucked away in one of the corners, and doesn't have a very good view of the action. They said this hinders radio announcers in particular - including ours -  who need binoculars to see who and what is happening.

They also talked about how the food provided to the press had really been downgraded (to a "bag of cold food").  (I actually remember how game announcers used to rave about the food spread and hospitality at Auburn games decades ago.) 

Apparently, our facility has become become a joke to the press corps who come here to cover a game. (And this included the Auburn reporter - I don't remember the name - except he had been covering auburn for 10-15 yrs.)  Apparently, the old press box was replaced by a luxury suit.

Personally, this sounds like a PR mistake to me, especially considering the amount of money being spent on things like the football facility. 

Seems to me like we'd be much better off with a nice press box that pampered the press, for obvious reasons.

P.S.:

Arkansas really hates us.  They feel they get bad calls when playing Auburn at home (which admittedly, has happened.)  

They expect to beat us easily.

Our PR Department could use a good cleansing, i.e. just like the recent purge of xADAG and the football coaching staff. 

Auburn Hospitality has been lacking and gives off the vibe of pinching pennies. I'll blame that on Allen Greene and hope Cohen makes changes to the hospitality & amenity area of being great hosts. 

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding the press box, it was a huge mistake to move the radio press boxes. Moving the print/internet media to the corner to make room for more premium donor space is fine. At the very least, they should have left the Auburn Network's box. But I think the right move would have been for both home and visitor radio press boxes to remain.