Elon’s Twitter Investment

TexasTiger

Elon’s Twitter Investment   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will Elon’s 44 Billion Dollar Twitter Investment Turn out to be

• A wise, profitable endeavor
    • A bust or essentially flat

It'll be a financial bust, but Elon is so wealthy and influential it wont really matter too much to him personally other than he might lose the ability to buy other large companies at the drop of a hat.  

The real damage will be done to society and American discourse. We already have an unhealthy obsession with peoples tweets becoming news and front page headlines, and now that Musk promises to open the floodgates to allow hatred, racism, violence to roam free in his "free ideas marketplace", unless we as a society can place Twitter by the wayside, the toxicity that spreads will only continue to get worse under Musk's guidance. 

Going private under Musk also increases the likelihood that authoritarian States like China will gain more control over the platform in exchange for giving Musks other companies favorable treatment. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

People afraid of free speech are just fearful their ideas can't stand up to scrutiny.  Musk can and will fire 75% of the workers and replace them with an an algorithm.  He's going to make money.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

unless we as a society can place Twitter by the wayside

It'll melt into a larger gab.ai or 4chan. 

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The fear the left has about free speech is astonishing. 

Yeah watch what happens to online spaces that have your idea of "free speech" in mind. 

Without some sort of moderation it will fail. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Yeah watch what happens to online spaces that have your idea of "free speech" in mind. 

Without some sort of moderation it will fail. 

Oh, I believe there will be moderation, its just the left filter will be gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yeah, Conservatives can finally make death threats and spam the 'N' word all over Twitter now. Congratulations. 

• Facepalm 2

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Watch how quickly it becomes untenable should Musk's plan be put in place. It will melt.

His plan is that all legal speech should be allowed. I got bad news for you, people suck, and legal is not a synonym with appropriate. 

Let's use an example here. Say I called one of our black posters something highly inappropriate,  suggest hanging every jew on earth or say homosexuals should be taken out back and shot. Titan or Tex would boot my ass out the door before I could blink because that's literally their jobs as moderators of the forum. 

But that speech is legal, and would be allowed in Musk's version of Twitter. 

Users aren't going to hang around a cesspit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Watch how quickly it becomes untenable should Musk's plan be put in place. It will melt.

His plan is that all legal speech should be allowed. I got bad news for you, people suck, and legal is not a synonym with appropriate. 

Let's use an example here. Say I called one of our black posters something highly inappropriate,  suggest hanging every jew on earth or say homosexuals should be taken out back and shot. Titan or Tex would boot my ass out the door before I could blink because that's literally their jobs as moderators of the forum. 

Do you remember one of the catalyst that sent Elon off?  It was the banning of The Babylon Bee for posting Rachel Levine receiving the Man of the Year award.  Its not going off the rails as you hope.

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Lol - that’s your interpretation of what this is about?  No, it’s about getting more transparency on topics like “most secure election ever”, “the shot will keep you from transmitting covid”, “our border is secure”, “gasoline was $5 a gallon when I took office”, and “the economy is damn strong”

8 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Technically hate-speech is neither legal nor protected by the constitution. Further, the free speech clause has never been applied to private corporations. But what the actual law is means nothing to some posters on here.

Edited by Didba

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you remember one of the catalyst that sent Elon off?  It was the banning of The Babylon Bee for posting Rachel Levine receiving the Man of the Year award.

They violated the terms of service and have to face the consequences of their action.  They knew the rule (as they've violated it before).

Plus it was suspension, not a ban. 

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Its not going off the rails as you hope.

Elon himself has said all legal speech should be allowed. 

9 minutes ago, Didba said:

Technically hate-speech is neither legal nor protected by the constitution.

Yes it is. There are no exceptions for propriety, or morality etc. 

The SCOTUS has affirmed this on numerous occasions.

9 minutes ago, Didba said:

Further, the free speech clause has never been applied to private corporations. But what the actual law is means nothing to some posters on here.

I'm referring to the users. Musk's plan for moderating is "if it's allowed by the 1st amendment, it's allowed here."

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Yes it is. There are not exceptions for propriety, or morality etc. 

The SCOTUS has affirmed this on numerous occasions.

I'm referring to the users. Musk's plan for moderating is "if it's allowed but the 1st amendment,  it's allowed here."

Good point, I was thinking about Congress making hate-speech illegal but I forgot that is "hate-speech + illegal conduct" that is outlawed. Which is more a hate crime law.  Thanks for the correction.

12 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

Lol - that’s your interpretation of what this is about?  No, it’s about getting more transparency on topics like “most secure election ever”, “the shot will keep you from transmitting covid”, “our border is secure”, “gasoline was $5 a gallon when I took office”, and “the economy is damn strong”

And to rectify this he'll basically turn the site into gab.ai. 

So enjoy your victory,  I guess. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Didba said:

Technically hate-speech is neither legal nor protected by the constitution. Further, the free speech clause has never been applied to private corporations. But what the actual law is means nothing to some posters on here.

This where “muh democracy” slips on the whole constitution thing

21 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

OK, so how do constitutional protections of free speech applies to businesses like Twitter? 

Edited by AUDub

^an interesting thread on how this actually makes Twitter's users less free. 

2 hours ago, pensacolatiger said:

Please cite a SCOTUS case where they applied the free speech clause to private corporations please.