TexasTiger

Elon’s Twitter Investment   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Will Elon’s 44 Billion Dollar Twitter Investment Turn out to be

• A wise, profitable endeavor
    • A bust or essentially flat

12 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

Now he sounds even more insecure, maybe he’s got a proportion issue🤣

great come back pen..............i give it an 8 or maybe 9 out of ten.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i hunt with didba twice a year and he is a big ol gym freak  that could play on our D line if he wanted. trust me when i say he is not insecure. and we never fail to bring down a nice buck or two with out assault rifles. and i make him drgg the buck out because he has the guns. so pensacola survey says........you lie baby!

Are you being serious? 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Of course they are testing the limits.  Like any child would do when given freedom not seen before.  Let’s give Elon time to react and then jump on him. He did delete the Pelosi tweet linking a false story.

That was his own tweet he deleted because he realized it makes him look like an idiot. 

Presumably, many of the 75% staff reductions he says he'll make will include a lot of people who's jobs are to delete that type of content though. 

Wont matter if Musk wants that type of stuff on Twitter or not if he doesn't have proper moderation to stop it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Are you being serious? 

That was his own tweet he deleted because he realized it makes him look like an idiot. 

Presumably, many of the 75% staff reductions he says he'll make will include a lot of people who's jobs are to delete that type of content though. 

Wont matter if Musk wants that type of stuff on Twitter or not if he doesn't have proper moderation to stop it. 

I know it was his tweet and it linked to an unsubstantiated story and he had the good sense to delete it.  Moderation will come, but it will take time.

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Are you being serious? 

It’s weird how a lot of the left assumes Elon wants the racist stuff back on Twitter, not assuming that of you……it’s just a weird take on current times.

4 minutes ago, pensacolatiger said:

It’s weird how a lot of the left assumes Elon wants the racist stuff back on Twitter, not assuming that of you……it’s just a weird take on current times.

I don't think Elon WANTS it or encourages it, but I'm not convinced he will try to stop it or moderate it like Twitter does now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pensacolatiger said:

You're not paying attention.  This has less to do with what Elon wants, than it does with what he's going to get (by firing all those staff who moderate the site.)

Like I stated previously and some here refuse to listen, there will be content moderation. Always was the case and nothing is changing. Don't believe conspiracy theorists for your own sake and just pay attention. 

“The reason I acquired Twitter is because it is important to the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner, without resorting to violence,” 

He continued that he wants a platform to “help humanity” and doesn’t want it to become a “free-for-all hellscape.”

“There is currently great danger that social media will splinter into far-right-wing and far-left-wing echo chambers that generate more hate and divide our society.”

Musk said Twitter should be “warm and welcoming to all” and enable users to choose the experience they want to have.

“I didn’t do it to make money,” he said of the pending acquisition. “I did it to try to help humanity, whom I love. And I do so with humility, recognizing that failure in pursuing this goal, despite our best efforts, is a very real possibility.”

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Like I stated previously and some here refuse to listen, there will be content moderation. Always was the case and nothing is changing. Don't believe conspiracy theorists for your own sake and just pay attention. 

“The reason I acquired Twitter is because it is important to the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner, without resorting to violence,” 

He continued that he wants a platform to “help humanity” and doesn’t want it to become a “free-for-all hellscape.”

“There is currently great danger that social media will splinter into far-right-wing and far-left-wing echo chambers that generate more hate and divide our society.”

Musk said Twitter should be “warm and welcoming to all” and enable users to choose the experience they want to have.

“I didn’t do it to make money,” he said of the pending acquisition. “I did it to try to help humanity, whom I love. And I do so with humility, recognizing that failure in pursuing this goal, despite our best efforts, is a very real possibility.”

This is not about paying attention or "listening".  This is about putting more reliance in what Musk does instead of what he says.

(One of the truths in a takeover is the acquirers rarely tell the truth about their business intentions.)

And as far as Musk's stated intention to "improve humanity", apparently, he wasn't referring to twitter being used to spread and amplify lies and conspiracy theories. 

He blew all credibility on that with his tweet regarding the attack on Mr. Pelosi.

Time will tell, but I am very skeptical.

Edited by homersapien

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

This is not about paying attention or "listening".  This is about putting more reliance in what Musk does instead of what he says.

(One of the truths in a takeover is the acquirers rarely tell the truth about their business intentions.)

And as far as Musk's stated intention to "improve humanity", apparently, he wasn't referring to twitter being used to spread and amplify lies and conspiracy theories. 

He blew all credibility on that with his tweet regarding the attack on Mr. Pelosi.

Time will tell, but I am very skeptical.

Indeed it is. To accept fear mongering as rational, as many have done here, is ignorant.

Lot's of info floating around out there and neither you nor I 100% know the truth. Let the facts settle. Isn't that what EM implied? Yes, and I agree with that sentiment. And his cred was diminished by ignorant partisans who feel they lost an ally. In truth they were never looking for fairness. 

Skepticism is fine if tempered with honesty vs. partisan nonsense.

17 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Indeed it is. To accept fear mongering as rational, as many have done here, is ignorant.

Lot's of info floating around out there and neither you nor I 100% know the truth. Let the facts settle. Isn't that what EM implied? Yes, and I agree with that sentiment. And his cred was diminished by ignorant partisans who feel they lost an ally. In truth they were never looking for fairness. 

Skepticism is fine if tempered with honesty vs. partisan nonsense.

Do you consider reporting or commenting on Musk's tweet "fear mongering"?   Or is it a rational response to what Musk did?

When the world’s richest man/owner of this very site himself traffics in conspiracy theories days after claiming to advertisers that he’s going to be a responsible leader, all I can say is: I’m not overreacting by expressing my concerns. Actions always speak louder than words. pic.twitter.com/00RhlJa4rh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/30/musk-deleted-tweet-pelosi/

— Yael Eisenstat (@YaelEisenstat) October 30, 2022

Edited by homersapien

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Can you explain that?  I don't get your point.

Certainly. And this isn't meant for you personally, but in general. 

Why would you threaten to leave a platform, as is trending, because you heard from others it was going to allow nonsense without moderation? Especially when that was never the case factually? Oh, but I heard it on MSM and that was good enough? Just shut up with that stupidity already.

Why would you desire to engage in a partisan platform vs a neutral one? 

Do you consider reporting or commenting on Musk's tweet "fear mongering"?   Or is it a rational response to what Musk did?

When the world’s richest man/owner of this very site himself traffics in conspiracy theories days after claiming to advertisers that he’s going to be a responsible leader, all I can say is: I’m not overreacting by expressing my concerns. Actions always speak louder than words. pic.twitter.com/00RhlJa4rh

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/30/musk-deleted-tweet-pelosi/

— Yael Eisenstat (@YaelEisenstat) October 30, 2022

Are you contesting

You are mixing two responses to two different questions.

Fear mongering is referring to the no moderation tactics by many on the left. It was always politics, nothing more.

Musk responding to HC was a call to wait on facts and don't leap to partisan talking points. I agree with this sentiment although acknowledging it was worthless in todays political environment. 

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Certainly. And this isn't meant for you personally, but in general. 

Why would you threaten to leave a platform, as is trending, because you heard from others it was going to allow nonsense without moderation? Especially when that was never the case factually? Oh, but I heard it on MSM and that was good enough? Just shut up with that stupidity already.

Why would you desire to engage in a partisan platform vs a neutral one? 

I still don't understand the point you are trying to make, but it looks like a giant straw man to me.

From my limited understanding, Elon's stated reasons for doing this is to create a forum that is less moderated, less censored, more open, and less partisan.

I think the concern is that's not really possible and therefore, things will only get worse.

I don't know or care exactly why the people who left the platform left, other than to protest Elon's acquisition.

6 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

You are mixing two responses to two different questions.

Fear mongering is referring to the no moderation tactics by many on the left. It was always politics, nothing more.

Are you suggesting that moderation to remove blatant lies or conspiracy theories is partisan?

12 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Musk responding to HC was a call to wait on facts and don't leap to partisan talking points. I agree with this sentiment although acknowledging it was worthless in todays political environment. 

Right.  You betcha! :rolleyes:

If he wanted to simply call on people to wait on facts, why didn't he simply say that without referencing a scandalous story sourced from a right wing newspaper with low credibility??

What a hilarious take. :laugh:

Edited by homersapien

8 minutes ago, homersapien said:

From my limited understanding, Elon's stated reasons for doing this is to create a forum that is less moderated, less censored, more open, and less partisan.

I think the concern is that's not really possible and therefore, things will only get worse.

Your first statement is correct with the exception of less moderated. That is a partisan talking point already debunked.

That is not the real concern. Losing an ally is a concern. For one party. 

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Are you suggesting that moderation to remove blatant lies or conspiracy theories is partisan?

Sorry, forgot to add.

Blatant lies and conspiracy theories have existed on Twitter forever. So no, they are not partisan in nature. 

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Your first statement is correct with the exception of less moderated. That is a partisan talking point already debunked.

That is not the real concern. Losing an ally is a concern. For one party. 

Please explain how "less moderated" is a partisan talking point.

Also, please explain how "one party" is losing an ally.  Are you suggesting Twitter was biased toward liberals? 

Do you have any evidence for that beyond their not allowing obvious lies and QAnon conspiracy theories?

And I will be the first to admit I am generally ignorant of twitter, other than knowing it's wildly popular.

18 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Right.  You betcha! :rolleyes:

If he wanted to simply call on people to wait on facts, why didn't he simply say that without referencing a scandalous story sourced from a right wing newspaper with low credibility??

What a hilarious take. :laugh:

Why didn't HC wait for facts? Or the MSM talking heads? Rebuttal can be a bitch. Like I said, wait for facts.

Can anything be less credible than MSM? You want to compare Pinocchio's? 

Please explain how "less moderated" is a partisan talking point.

Also, please explain how "one party" is losing an ally.  Are you suggesting Twitter was biased toward liberals? 

Do you have any evidence for that beyond their not allowing obvious lies and QAnon conspiracy theories?

And I will be the first to admit I am generally ignorant of twitter, other than knowing it's wildly popular.

The claim of less moderation to allow racism, anti-Semitism, etc. was a talking point.

Don't be obtuse. Of course they were. Perhaps now you understand the anger?

Good grief Hunter Biden. And up until now they have allowed lies. Will that change? Can't speak to QAnon.

Obviously.

11 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Why didn't HC wait for facts? Or the MSM talking heads? Rebuttal can be a bitch. Like I said, wait for facts.

Can anything be less credible than MSM? You want to compare Pinocchio's? 

That's what is known as a series of non-sequitur questions and statements.

I am sorry you don't see the humor in characterizing Musk's tweet - that included a scandalous reference from a right wing source known for inaccurate news - as an appeal to "wait on the facts", but,

what can I say? :dunno:

:laugh:

Edited by homersapien

2 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

The claim of less moderation to allow racism, anti-Semitism, etc. was a talking point.

Don't be obtuse. Of course they were. Perhaps now you understand the anger?

Good grief Hunter Biden. And up until now they have allowed lies. Will that change? Can't speak to QAnon.

Obviously.

Oh, well that explains it. 

Thanks.  :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's what is known as a series of non-sequitur questions and statements.

I am sorry you don't see the humor in characterizing Musk's tweet - that included a scandalous reference from a right wing source known for inaccurate news - as an appeal to "wait on the facts", but,

what can I say? :dunno:

:laugh:

MSM became known as fake news for a very good reason. They share democratic talking points religiously regardless of truth. So spare me the inaccurate news bit.

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Oh, well that explains it. 

Thanks.  :rolleyes:

There is always Prevagen Extra Strength | 20 mg | 60 Caps | By NetNutri

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

MSM became known as fake news for a very good reason. They share democratic talking points religiously regardless of truth. So spare me the inaccurate news bit.

Well apparently "truth" has a liberal bias.

Personally, I watch and listen mostly NPR and PBS for my news, plus a subscription to the WaPo.

If they get something wrong - which they rarely do - they'll apologize and correct it. 

They certainly don't "share fake democratic (sic) talking points religiously regardless of truth".  :rolleyes:

(I'd say that was a lie, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as such if you really believe it, and I think you probably do.) :ucrazy:

image.jpeg.7d294045bd0f75edc5ebc41f8cebba4b.jpeg

Edited by homersapien